ATH-PRO700MK2 vs Denon AH-D600 vs Denon AH-D1100
Oct 22, 2012 at 8:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

rayyy

New Head-Fier
ATH-PRO700MK2s for 300$, Denon D600s for 400$, AKG K550 for 3 or 270$e D1100s for 330$?
Whats the high and low points for these headphones and how do they compare?
I like listening to rap and rnb, and i love bass and this will be my first real set of cans, and cant decide between these 4.

Oct 22, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #2 of 6
D1100 for $330 is extortion, so is $300 for the PRO700.

So based on that you're seeing gouge prices for the PRO700 and D1100, I'd say your choice is between the K550 (which at $270 is fair relative to MSRP), and the D600 at $400 (also fair relative to MSRP). I haven't heard the D600, but I'm not a fan of the K550 (they're not terrible though, but certainly not basshead cans - I don't think they'd be a good fit for what you want). In terms of overall fidelity/quality, and getting a well-rounded pair of cans, I'd point you towards the Kenwood KH-K1000. But if you want lots and lots of bass, there are a number of Ultrasone models that are consistent crowd pleasers in that regard (the PRO900 is the most popularly suggested, and within your budget).

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #3 of 6
I like bass but when you say lots of lots of bass, makes it seem like its just quantity and not quality
I havent heard any of the headphones ive listed, or that youve listed so im trying to pick based off of reviews and recommendations as i can only order the headphones online
Whats the msrp of the  d1100 and the PROS?
Also id like to note that ill be using a E17 amp along with the headset
-edit

Looking at amazons USA site, seems i can get a friend to send me the headphones after purchase. So the PROs would be at 178$,  the ah-d1100s at 200$ and the d600s at 400$. I'd also like to add that i can get the DT770s for 200$ as well as the ah-d2000s for 260$ (used).

I checked out the Kenwood you recommended
Seems I cant find it on amazon
I'll be checking out reviews on the headset you recommended

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #4 of 6
D1100 are discontinued, but they were originally like $150-$200. PRO700 I have no idea on SRP, but they're around $175 on Amazon (in the US) right now. The Anniversary version might've been $300, I don't know what the differences are beyond the appearance. But neither of them should be $300-$400 cans.

As far as the lots of bass comment, I'd agree and disagree. Quantity doesn't have to mean a lack of quality, for example the Kenwood KH-K1000 have EXCELLENT bass quality, *and* can hit fairly hard. The Ultrasone models I have (or have had - I tend not to have closed-back headphones though, so I'm talking about their various open models moreso) have excellent quality and *lots* of slam when needed, it's the entire package. But then there's cans like the M50 that have lots of impact, and can get a little ham-handed and boomy by comparison.

If you don't need a closed-back headphone, I can honestly suggest either of the "top" Ultrasone open-back models, the HFI-2400 or PRO2900 (the 2900 is the better of the two, basically it takes everything the 2400 does and improves upon it, but it also costs more (about twice more)).

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #5 of 6
The original prices I gave you were off Amazon.ca i believe
and from my local electronic stores
For some reason any audio equipment and electronics tend to cost more here in canada, and you just cant find any unless you order online
http://www.amazon.ca/Audio-Technica-ATH-PRO700MK2-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B007YQU4GS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1350956498&sr=8-2
As for the ultrasone models, can you name a few you'd recommend? The ones you listed are above my budget
And the 2400 is priced pretty low, which makes me wonder
And as for my knowledge, open headphones tend to not have alot of bass
Am i wrong? ^

-edit
do any of these headphones have a detachable cable? as i'd love that feature as i tend to be clumsy

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #6 of 6
That mark-up is because those aren't sold by Amazon. I would generally suggest avoiding such...unscrupulous dealers (it seems like this "Urban Inspirations" is one such dealer - everything on their storefront is massively overpriced and I suspect they're far from a legitimate dealer for many of the products they're offering). I'd stick to actual Amazon sales. :xf_eek:

Regarding the pricing thing - it doesn't dictate quality or performance. The HFI-2400 are a very good headphone, they just aren't closed-back (so they aren't a good idea if you're needing them to block outside noise, like riding on a plane or bus). All of the Ultrasone PROline models, and the HFI-2400 come with detachable cables, as does the Denon D600 (but I don't know if replacements are available for those yet, they're very new - I'm sure if you had a problem, Denon could sort you, and they don't use proprietary connectors so I would expect aftermarket solutions eventually). The Kenwood do not have a detachable cable.

Regarding open/closed - I think the over-generalization about bass is just that. An over-generalization. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back