ATH-PRO700MK2 OR Sony XB1000 For The Ultimate Subwoofer Bass Experience?
Nov 29, 2012 at 12:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Bassheadspl

100+ Head-Fier
Hi headfiers, i need your help on this forum for making a final decision on which pair of basshead headphones are the bass king for me. I am wondering from your experience, which is the better one for bass: ATH-PRO700MK2 or Sony xb1000?

Which headphones from the two have best low end extension and deep rumbly subwoofer bass?

Which headphones, when pushed to the limits, from the two can you feel more bass vibrations on? Examples: eardrums vibrating, skull/jaw vibrating?

Dec 5, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #3 of 11
I had the XB1000, didnt like them at all. No sub bass, lots of midbass and mud.

Dec 26, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:
Hi headfiers, i need your help on this forum for making a final decision on which pair of basshead headphones are the bass king for me. I am wondering from your experience, which is the better one for bass: ATH-PRO700MK2 or Sony xb1000?

Which headphones from the two have best low end extension and deep rumbly subwoofer bass?

Which headphones, when pushed to the limits, from the two can you feel more bass vibrations on? Examples: eardrums vibrating, skull/jaw vibrating?

Both cans are very good for producing lots of bass, especially when properly amped (e.g. ZO2.3 or E11). Still, the XB1000 is more capable of delivering greater sub-bass rumble than the PRO700MK2.
Quote:
I had the XB1000, didnt like them at all. No sub bass, lots of midbass and mud.

Really? That's a first. For me, the XB1000 delivers more sub-bass than the XB300, 500 and 700. However, the reverse is true when mid-bass is considered - the lower level cans push more mid-bass than the XB1000.

Dec 26, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #5 of 11
I really enjoy listening to Techno through my big XB's, its like sitting in a dance club.

Dec 28, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #7 of 11
i have both and was actually hearing both this morning when i woke up, xb1000's reach lower and produce more sub bass, but they dont punch as hard the pro700mk2's, the pro700's have more forward more immediately noticeable bass (once you eq and amp) 

the xb1000's are more subtle in their midbass but are definitely there and noticeable, in sub bass i honestly think nothing can compete with it, not even the lcd-2's which i also own

if you're going to be listening to house and trance etc, i would say xb1000's easily

if you're going to be listening to dubstep & rap, i would say athpro700mk2's

(also note the pads on the pro700's are crazy $%^ing uncomfortable but arguably give you the best sound and bass as they were designed around them, you may want to look into replacing them if you go this route, some favorites from other headfiers are the m50 pads, black beyer gel pads, dt250 velour pads)

you will also want an amp for these, you can probably get away without using an amp on the pro700's but not really so much on the xb1000's which really require an amp to sound their best

Dec 28, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #8 of 11
the ATH PRO700MK2 are designed to be used by DJs in loud clubs and concerts, they are not to be used by consumers wanting to listen to good music either casually or passionately. They're crazy uncomfortable with their clamp but their bass response is quite commendable.
If you're going to get a pair for use at home or on the go, actually anything BUT as a DJ, don't get the PRO700MK2.

It's sad to see people badmouthing a pair of perfectly good cans designed to do something specific, just because the owner isn't using it for its intended purpose.

Dec 28, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
the ATH PRO700MK2 are designed to be used by DJs in loud clubs and concerts, they are not to be used by consumers wanting to listen to good music either casually or passionately. They're crazy uncomfortable with their clamp but their bass response is quite commendable.
If you're going to get a pair for use at home or on the go, actually anything BUT as a DJ, don't get the PRO700MK2.

It's sad to see people badmouthing a pair of perfectly good cans designed to do something specific, just because the owner isn't using it for its intended purpose.

i agree  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back