ATH Pro700 MK2 has little Bass
Feb 23, 2012 at 5:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ConfusedDotCOM

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

Thanks for all your recent advice.
I made the brave step and purchased my audio technica headphones (Pro700 MK2). All of the reviews i read reffered to a big bass output and often compared these to the beats Pro.
After listening to these headphones, I can honestly say that the bass is no where near as loud or deep as the Beats.
Am i missing something here? I have tried them side by side as my friend has a set of beats pro. The bass on audio technica does not even shake the ear pads like the beats do!!
:frowning2:

I am running these off my Iphone 4. Could it be a power issue? Will an amp help?
Will the bass become more prominant after they are burnt in?
I am after the raw, skull vibrating bass that the beats produce. I fear that i may have bought the wrong set of headphones :frowning2:
HELP.......

Feb 23, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #2 of 10
stick to beats. your looking for quantity and not quality. My pro700's rock my ears with the right music that would hit hard in my car. The bass is much cleaner and punchier than the beats boomy boom boom bass, it feels like the beats add bass to songs that dont even have that much bass. As for an amp, i run mine off a digizoid zo2.3 and it makes my heaphones rumble with beautiful bass.

Feb 23, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #4 of 10
There are two possible solutions for ya:

1. Get an amp with a bass boost option:Fiio E6 & E11, JDS Labs CmoyBB, DigiZoid ZO2, to name a few.

2. Just get the Beats Pros.

Feb 24, 2012 at 4:53 AM Post #5 of 10
1) Do these amp make that much of a difference?
2) Also, which one would be suitable to power the headphones?

I can get the E6 for £20 and the E11 for £45. If they arent going to make a noticable then i may be tempted to return these headphones.

As you can tell, my ears arent trained for the finer musical headphones :)
I can clearly see that the audio technicas provide a better quality sound than the beats, but the bass (even if artificial) is a big thing for me...

Feb 24, 2012 at 5:40 AM Post #6 of 10
Then unfortunately my friend, you are asking the wrong questions to the wrong people in the wrong forum. Stick with whatever sounds good to you, who cares what anyone else thinks. In the end your the one stuck with the headphones.

Feb 24, 2012 at 7:47 AM Post #7 of 10
The bass boost in Fiio products are really really noticeable. I had the E7 and with bass boost on I couldn't stand the punch.

Feb 24, 2012 at 7:47 AM Post #8 of 10
Also, if the bass is shaking your earpads...I think your hearing would be damaged..

Oct 28, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #10 of 10
You have to play with the EQ on the PRO700MK2s. Once you do that, yhe bass will far surpass that of the beats pros. I just set mine to "bass boost" and the bass really kicks. Also, you may need an amp for them to really shine. All in all, I'd say the PRO700MK2s deliver a tighter, more accurate bass than beats (I used to own them). I am very satisfied with them.
Studio monitoring headphones require you to EQ them, then you'll get that bass you're looking for. They don't give you bass unless you feed them it, then they will kick.
I cranked the sub-bass all the way up on the EQ in Apple Logic Pro 9 and my head almost exploded. They rumbled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back