ATH-M50x vs AKG K545 vs Sennheiser Momentum
Mar 22, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #16 of 29
Adding : it should be over the ear and suitable for outdoor use, mainly traveling and walking in the city. And i really like high volume. Thanks again, you're really helpful here, appreciate it.

Mar 22, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #17 of 29
Sound quality is my top priority. I listen to ALL, but really, all genres of music.
I would like to have high volume using ipod with no amp, and if course if they look good its a bonus (i dont buy leather products). Any recommendations for a budget under 200$?and thanks for your help, appreciate it.

P. S. As for sound signature, i like crispy crystal clear sound but i heard the ath m50 has a problem with the mids and as someone who listens to all genres maybe i should lean more to flat sound signature.

Hello,

I am not sure how loud you need things to be but for $200, the Shure SRH-840 is a great choice! It's great for all genre of music and isolates well but it is less durable vs ATH-M50. I personally like SRH-840 cream smooth midrange. The Philips Uptown is nice too but my limited listening section is not enough to give credit :)

Hope it helps
Billson :)

Mar 22, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #19 of 29
The ATH-M50 is extremely durable. Putting it next to the SRH-840, it makes the Shure feels less durable. But never the less, there's no cracking issue. It's pretty durable, but not the most durable headphone at $200. I would rate it 7/10 in terms of durable

Mar 22, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #20 of 29
The Momentum have a more balanced bass while I can tell there are very little recessed bass at the ATH-M50 somewhere around 100Hz. The Momentum also sound more natural, more musical IMO.

If you can afford the Momentum Over-Ear, go for it. If not you can look into the Momentum On -Ear since you are not wearing too long so comfort shouldn't be a problem. In terms of quantity, the momentum on ear offer the most bass out of the three mentioned in this post. It is more aggressive sounding compared to the more "relax" if not, veiled [TO SOME PEOPLE] nature of Momentum Over-Ear. Isolation wise, the AH-D600 did best.

Hope it helps
Billson
smily_headphones1.gif

I definitely can afford the Momentum over-ear so I think I'll go for that instead of ATH-M50x, main reason being the bass as you described it, plus the beautiful retro-style looks of the Momentums compared the M50s. Want to be future proof and that is why I am going with the over-ear, you never know how much I will use the earphones in the future! What about sound leakage on the over-ear? Is it the same as the Momentum on-ear? What about KEF M500? 

I think I'll just wait till June to get the B&W P7 if I couldn't really decide between any of these. 

Mar 22, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #21 of 29
I want to listen to whatever I want comfortably. Do not want to raise full volume and mess up my eardrum (depends on earphones, most of the times not), but I want to listen medium volume to loud. That is why sound isolation is important.

Mar 22, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #22 of 29
The over ear momentum isolates better than on ear Mometum. Mind you the slightly loose bass and the small earcups of over ear momentum.

Have you looked into the AH-D600? It have deep bass, pretty tight, can't remember how it compares to Momentum but I remember it as neutral with boosted bass" pretty well balanced. The bass is very big to me.

Hope it helps

Mar 24, 2014 at 6:42 AM Post #23 of 29
The over ear momentum isolates better than on ear Mometum. Mind you the slightly loose bass and the small earcups of over ear momentum.

Have you looked into the AH-D600? It have deep bass, pretty tight, can't remember how it compares to Momentum but I remember it as neutral with boosted bass" pretty well balanced. The bass is very big to me.

Hope it helps

Well I don't like the plastic look of the AH D600 so I think I'll just go for the Over Ear Momentums and will in fact purchase them today from my local Online Apple Store for almost the same price as the US plus free shipping, and products here are usually more expensive than the US. Love the metal and leather look of the Over Ear Momentums!

Thanks for your help, Billson!

Mar 24, 2014 at 6:48 AM Post #24 of 29
Well I don't like the plastic look of the AH D600 so I think I'll just go for the Over Ear Momentums and will in fact purchase them today from my local Online Apple Store for almost the same price as the US plus free shipping, and products here are usually more expensive than the US. Love the metal and leather look of the Over Ear Momentums!

Thanks for your help, Billson!

Do report back on what you think! :D

Your welcome :)

Happy listening!

Mar 24, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #25 of 29
Do report back on what you think!
biggrin.gif

Your welcome
smily_headphones1.gif

Happy listening!
Billson
smily_headphones1.gif

Tried the Momentums at the store today and found the sound to be very clear and soundstage is wonderful, though the bass was not overwhelming. Never wanted bass to be my priority anyways, so I just adjusted the bass via the EQ and it sounded perfect. Snatched them for $302 in my local Online Apple Store while they were selling for $381 at the store. It's normal to see a massive increase in price and that is why I tend to buy some things from the US, but a price this low is very abnormal so I had to buy them, plus they're not from random unofficial retailers. Will report back when I get them before the 30th!

Mar 29, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #27 of 29
Nice to hear that
biggrin.gif

Got the Momentums today. Amazing sound quality. Perfect bass and the highs, mids and lows are 5-star. Comfort is 6/5 especially because my ears are a perfect fit. Build quality is 6/5 as well, love the leather and aluminium touches. Very highly recommended headphones! Thank you so much Billson for helping me decide which headphones to get!!

Mar 29, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #28 of 29
First impressions matter: packaging is wonderful and it felt amazing opening the carrying case to take out the headphones. Also, they sound very nice with the genres I listen - hip-hop/rap, house, and trap. I don't need an EQ to adjust the bass or anything else. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back