ATH-m50s, Do they break easily?
May 30, 2011 at 8:50 AM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Shure SRH750dj uses some very creaky and brittle white plastic, even for its extender belts. (my roommate has one and shows me about it and complains all the time) Several occasions here on head-fi have 750dj owners had their extender belts snapping clean apart, which doesn't happen with most headphones. Just shows the general quality of material used.

Did they notice that little bit on the headphone extender belts that said "MAX" on it? Just in case maybe they tried to pull it apart because (like many here on head-fi who are 750dj owners) they're big melon heads didn't fit the tiny extender belts. I think the Shure's are very durable, and I've never had a problem with mine personally. But due to my last pair of headphones (cheap $30 skullcandy's) I'm much more cautious about pulling or putting pressure on even the toughest of headphones. I'm not going to try and make it do something it can't do, and I won't put them in a place that I'm worried they will get crushed. Another thing is that if you aren't worried about storage space, rather then putting them in some gymnast-list position by folding them, you put the extenders all the way down for a bit of extra protection.

May 30, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #19 of 26

Quote:
Quote:
Did they notice that little bit on the headphone extender belts that said "MAX" on it? Just in case maybe they tried to pull it apart because (like many here on head-fi who are 750dj owners) they're big melon heads didn't fit the tiny extender belts. I think the Shure's are very durable, and I've never had a problem with mine personally. But due to my last pair of headphones (cheap $30 skullcandy's) I'm much more cautious about pulling or putting pressure on even the toughest of headphones. I'm not going to try and make it do something it can't do, and I won't put them in a place that I'm worried they will get crushed. Another thing is that if you aren't worried about storage space, rather then putting them in some gymnast-list position by folding them, you put the extenders all the way down for a bit of extra protection.

The problem is partly because the extender belts are too damn short (plus bad flat rigid headband) meaning the 750dj won't even fit 60% of the general population's heads. But the other on-topic aspect of the extender belts is that they didn't use steel or any other high tensile strength material there. Add two and two and you get a weakpoint in the design that causes grief in some owners down the road.

May 30, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #20 of 26

Quote:
The problem is partly because the extender belts are too damn short (plus bad flat rigid headband) meaning the 750dj won't even fit 60% of the general population's heads. But the other on-topic aspect of the extender belts is that they didn't use steel or any other high tensile strength material there. Add two and two and you get a weakpoint in the design that causes grief in some owners down the road.

I actually do agree with that. The m50 certainly doesn't have those problems. But they both have a plastic construction, and while that may be the 750's weak point, it certainly hasn't affected me and it shouldn't be a problem for any other responsible owner. Similarily, even if the M50 has a weak point, it shouldn't be a problem for someone who is cautious with their merchandise. As for a warranty, you could purchase it if you want to, but it depends on how responsible you think you are. There is the chance that the M50's could be damaged accidentally, but just try and measure how likely that could be, even if it could be damaged randomly. I'm glad I bought a warranty for my last pair of headphones, because they broke in 6 months from me accidentally dropping them a whopping 5 feet.

May 30, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #23 of 26
The 750's are definitely the Achilles heel in the Shure headphone lineup when it comes to build quality. The 550dj is actually built a lot better, they really need to update the 750's. The new 940's are built better than any headphones I've ever used and the SM58 microphone is the worlds most durable microphone so they definitely know how to make something last... As for M50's, they're built quite well and i doubt you would need a warranty that outlasts the manufacturers warranty. You'll end up getting different headphones by the time that even comes into play if you're anything like most of us.

May 30, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #24 of 26

Quote:
The 750's are definitely the Achilles heel in the Shure headphone lineup when it comes to build quality. The 550dj is actually built a lot better, they really need to update the 750's. The new 940's are built better than any headphones I've ever used and the SM58 microphone is the worlds most durable microphone so they definitely know how to make something last... As for M50's, they're built quite well and i doubt you would need a warranty that outlasts the manufacturers warranty. You'll end up getting different headphones by the time that even comes into play if you're anything like most of us.

I really have yet to try the 550's, though it would be surprising to think they'd be hugely more durable being that they are actually cheaper so possibly less expensive materials went into producing it. Do you have the 550's? The 750's build quality has never been a big issue with me, and while yes they do creak a bit (plastic build), I am confident in their durability. In the least bit, they are large and thick enough.

May 30, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #25 of 26

Quote:
I really have yet to try the 550's, though it would be surprising to think they'd be hugely more durable being that they are actually cheaper so possibly less expensive materials went into producing it. Do you have the 550's? The 750's build quality has never been a big issue with me, and while yes they do creak a bit (plastic build), I am confident in their durability. In the least bit, they are large and thick enough.

I do not like the skinny Y connection of the 550DJ. Plus the leatherette (?) is so thin that I actually can see the gap between the upper and the lower part of the headband when I look at the headband sideway. We are living in the era of cheap labor and cheap material so I learn to accept thing the way they are.

May 30, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #26 of 26

They are indeed cheaper, but they're also newer. The main difference I seen between the two was that the 550 had a more comfortable headband, and the 550's don't creak as much when you move them around. The 940's are the same way when directly compared to 440's and 840's. They don't creak at all, but the other ones do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back