ATH-M50S and ATH -M50
Jul 30, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #2 of 6
the difference is that the S model is the black version with the straight cord (it is pretty long I think almost 12 feet).  The other one is just the regular version (black or white with coiled cord).

I myself have the ATH-M50W version which are the white headphones that come with the coiled cord.  I had the pleasure of listening to the black ones for 3 days before I received the white ones.  Personally, I despised the straight cord.  It was ALWAYS getting in the way even in 3 days it annoyed me greatly.  Love the coiled cord, feels built stronger too.

I did also notice a difference in the sound, the black model had slightly more bass, but the white ones a much better overall sound with better mid-range and still strong controlled bass.  Again, this could just be my perceptions playing tricks on me but take it as you will.  It could just be that the white ones sound better because they have been "burned in" Lol.  Anyways, hope this was some help.

P.S. I'm waiting on a FIIO E17 to give it some extra bass and some more power as well and I have heard good things.  I am in desperate need of the DAC function because the SQ is exponentially better even on my iPod then it is when used with my laptop computer.

Anyways, good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back