ATH-M50 vs SENN HD555 (normal and modded into 595)
Jul 2, 2010 at 1:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ironsnakemx

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys

I have been watching the M50 for a while and when i fanilly decided to get them i saw the HD555 for 70 bucks in a store here at Laredo , i beileve these can be modded into the HD595 with ease , my question how does the HD555 stand against the M50 with and without the Mod?, I tried to look for this info here but did not found any direct comparisson between these two.

Thanks in advance

Jul 2, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #2 of 10
Wouldn't know for sure, but for starters the 555s would have a bigger soundstage, the M50 having more bass.

Jul 2, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #3 of 10
I got a feeling that people will plunge for the m50. The 555s aren't the most popular. I'm hoping to sample the m50s from a friend of mine at some point.

On a side note, I hope ya enjoying your m50s.

And storm trooper, I'm stalking u lol

Jul 2, 2010 at 3:18 AM Post #4 of 10
I've never compared them directly, but I've heard them both at one time or another (BTW I might not be very coherent in my language right now... suffering effects from insomnia). 

The M50 have quite a bit more bass and sub bass, but may be somewhat boomy. Meanwhile the 5x5 have less bass than neutral, and it might be their weakest point, but at least with the mod it is a very tight and nice bass, particularly if amped and modded to be a 595 like you can see here. 

Soundstage was nothing remarkable in the M50 being typically closed cans, but not bad either, the 5x5 have better soundstage, with nice deepness and nice imaging. 

It really depends what are your priorities and what music you hear.

Jul 2, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #5 of 10
Thanks .

I listen mainly to Classic Rock, Metal and Electronica ........mmm but lately i have been listening mainly to the Beatles remastered albums , so i guess i am leaning more to the HD555 at this moment

Jul 2, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #6 of 10
Just as an additional bi, the 595 were my first full size headphones and I was very happy with them, they are good all rounders, and do a pretty good job with rock and metal, can't say much about Electronica since I hear little of it.

BTW nice seeing someone from Mexico around here... that doesn't happen often.

Jul 2, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #7 of 10
Nice i tought i was the only mexican here , but thankfully there are more mexicans that like good SQ
dt880smile.png
!!!!!! ....... yeah i think im going with the 555 so i can mod them into 595's,  i am not that good with mods but after seeing a vid for this mod it seems a lot easier than the kramer mod for the portapros and i did an ok job on it. ......... does the 555/595 need and amp to be properly driven by an Ipod touch or sansa Clip?.

Jul 2, 2010 at 6:46 AM Post #8 of 10

I've owned an unmodded HD555 and 120 Ohm version HD595. They sounded very different - due in part to the different equipment I plugged them into.  The HD555 sounded best with classic rock and the HD595 best with jazz. 

I listen mostly to classic rock and classical but used to listen to a lot of electronica. I've not used the M50 or SRH750DJ. However FWIR, I would consider buying the SRH750DJ before the M50 or either Sennheiser for classic rock, metal, and electronica.
Quote:
I listen mainly to Classic Rock, Metal and Electronica

Jul 2, 2010 at 7:04 AM Post #9 of 10
mmmm thats one of the new shure Headphones right? .... saw them on display at the Guitar center in Laredo , did not pay much attention back then ..... ill go on saturday (my day off ) and give them a try (if the sales guy is not a jerk) and i will also try the m50's (i think they also have them)

Jul 2, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #10 of 10
if you can get your hands on a 750dj, do it

IMO they are the best sub 150$ you can get. ( dont count the 840 yet cuz its still listed as $200 but hey, the 750dj is way nicer for rock and metal :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back