ATH-M50 vs DT990?
Nov 13, 2010 at 5:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

B00F

New Head-Fier
I've settled on the Audio Technica ATH-M50 and the Beyerdynamic Premium DT 990 600 ohms edition.

Thing is, the M50 is more wallet friendly and comfort wise, I've been hearing good things about it. Here are the qualities I appreciate most:

1. Good bass
  2. Comfort
  3. Performance with an amp
  4. Soundstaging

Seeing as how the DT990's need an amp to play at its best will the M50 play as well without one? I just don't want to save up and buy expensive headphones and the equipment to power them knowing there's another set I could have bought that might be just as good and much much cheaper.

Thank You.

Nov 13, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #2 of 12
The M50's are pretty easy to drive overall, I wouldn't say they NEED an amp but I'd bet they would benefit from a well synergised amp. That means that most likely you wont get an amp that can do that, and you'd have to test many to get it right.

Nov 13, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #3 of 12
M50s doesn't need an amp, but would preform better with one, with such a low impedence, just get a cheap amp with high current

DT990s w/amp to perform as much as a M50 w/o amp

Nov 13, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:
Seeing as how the DT990's need an amp to play at its best will the M50 play as well without one? I just don't want to save up and buy expensive headphones and the equipment to power them knowing there's another set I could have bought that might be just as good and much much cheaper.

I respect that, but there's also the reverse problem as well. Hearing the M50 could make you craving for more and thus upgraditis kicks in, and you end up buying both. =/

My advice is if you think there's even a slight chance you will be wanting the 990's in the future go for them instead. Easier on the wallet. The M50's are definitly a monster in their own right but are a whole class below the 990's.

I speak from experience.

Nov 14, 2010 at 4:47 AM Post #6 of 12
Welcome to Head-Fi. 

What's your budget for buying headphones or headphones + an amp? 

What other equipment will you be plugging your new headphones into - your PC? 

What types of music do you listen to / uses will you have for your new headphones? 

FWIR - the DT990 has a bigger sound stage than the M50 - and most would find the DT990 more comfy. 

Quote:
So you guys are saying I'm better off with the M50 + amp? Is it comparable to the DT990 in terms of Soundstaging and comfort?

Nov 14, 2010 at 5:05 AM Post #8 of 12
Having owned both (sold my M50s to my roomate who still has it, and I still own my DT990/600), I can say that they both cater to the same genres.

The M50s have a truly high price/performance ratio.

The 990s are quite different in sound signature. They are a lot more spacious in soundstage, obviously due to their open design.

They both offer some solid bass impact, but the M50s definitely have that enclosed sound, which can put off some. It's more congested as a whole, while the 990's sound has an airy quality to it.

I don't regret selling my M50 after listening to my 990s, but they definitely need an amp. The M50s don't but do get a little better with one.

The 990s have a higher quality sound to them, while the M50s just sound fantastic for what you pay for.

Both are extremely comfortable, though the super soft velour pads on the 990s are on a whole other level. The M50's headband needs to be stretched out a bit, because it's quite clampy until you do so.

Nov 14, 2010 at 7:48 AM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
Having owned both (sold my M50s to my roomate who still has it, and I still own my DT990/600), I can say that they both cater to the same genres.

The M50s have a truly high price/performance ratio.

The 990s are quite different in sound signature. They are a lot more spacious in soundstage, obviously due to their open design.

They both offer some solid bass impact, but the M50s definitely have that enclosed sound, which can put off some. It's more congested as a whole, while the 990's sound has an airy quality to it.

I don't regret selling my M50 after listening to my 990s, but they definitely need an amp. The M50s don't but do get a little better with one.

The 990s have a higher quality sound to them, while the M50s just sound fantastic for what you pay for.

Both are extremely comfortable, though the super soft velour pads on the 990s are on a whole other level. The M50's headband needs to be stretched out a bit, because it's quite clampy until you do so.

I couldn't have said it better. To me the DT990s + amp are on a whole different level in all ways, but the M50 price/quality is great and it's perfect for at the office.

Nov 14, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #10 of 12
I'm looking to spend $100-150 + $200 for the Fiio bundle that includes the E7, E9 and others.

I listen mainly to hip-hop but I enjoy almost every genre.

I'll mostly use it for PC and some iPod until I can get an amp.

Price wise I'll have to settle with the M50 or until my convincing skills improve and I can get my parents to buy me the DT990 :D

Nov 14, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #11 of 12
They'll never buy it; just cut a few lawns on the weekends and save. It'll be much faster and nobody can tell you what you can and can't have.
beyersmile.png

Nov 14, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #12 of 12
The 990/250 is $180 right now. I wouldn't pass that up...

Quote:
I'm looking to spend $100-150 + $200 for the Fiio bundle that includes the E7, E9 and others.

I listen mainly to hip-hop but I enjoy almost every genre.

I'll mostly use it for PC and some iPod until I can get an amp.

Price wise I'll have to settle with the M50 or until my convincing skills improve and I can get my parents to buy me the DT990 :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back