ATH-M50 vs ATH-M50S LE impressions
May 20, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #92 of 176
7) Noise isolation seemed better with the LE vs regular, and I think due to there being more clamping force.
8) LE leaked a lot less than regular as well, and I think also due to there being more clamping force.

Those last two are spot on. I actually got rid of my old m50's because the noise leak was terrible. As a student, I spend lots of time studying in quiet places where it is unacceptable to have obnoxious sound leak. The improvement on the SE is much appreciated

May 23, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #93 of 176
recently i noticed there's this crackling sound in my ATH M-50 LE when playing a 30hz sound, this crackling sound came out at 60%-70% volume from the right speaker, did someone know what's happening? Was it just because this 30hz at 70% vol crossed the M50 LE's limit and started up a distortion? Or there something wrong with my beloved cans?  I've been pretty worried about my cans i can't enjoy listening to music this past two days.  (The crackling sound doesn't appear even at nearly 100% volume for a 320Kbps hip hop song, i wonder what's wrong, any help would be appreciated.)

*anyway i am using an old Dell inspiron 1410 and Fiio E7

nvm it was my bad, i think the software did a little trick to me, M50-LE works fine so far,

Jun 18, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #94 of 176
Really want to pull the trigger on the LEs after my friend *stares at him* lost my M50s at the airport. Though I'm pretty much set, I still want to double-check: is there really a good improvement? Enough to garner a 10% price raise?

Another thing, do the LEs really have the same drivers, housing etc. of the regular? And to those who have tried them (and ONLY those who have tried them), is there a discernible difference in audio quality?

Jun 28, 2012 at 6:09 AM Post #97 of 176
Quote:
Really want to pull the trigger on the LEs after my friend *stares at him* lost my M50s at the airport. Though I'm pretty much set, I still want to double-check: is there really a good improvement? Enough to garner a 10% price raise?
Another thing, do the LEs really have the same drivers, housing etc. of the regular? And to those who have tried them (and ONLY those who have tried them), is there a discernible difference in audio quality?

I have just done such a comparison, with Classical and Jazz, using both a portable FLAC Player and home Hi Fi.
There are differences, though both are good headphones.

Both have clear Highs and Mids, but the Mids are less recessed on the LE's.
The Soundstage is wider on the LE's, and the Bass more articulate and clearer, the whole acoustic, to my ears, being more realistic.

They feel similar on the head, and the moderate sound isolation is the same. 

The LE's also have an apparent slightly greater overall volume- though this may be related to the aforementioned differences.

It's also possible that there are subtle differences in manufacturing and parts within the same models, which will confound things.

Anyway-hope this helps.

Jun 28, 2012 at 6:13 AM Post #98 of 176
Quote:
hmmm im torn between the m50 white and the m50 LE.id rather the looks of the LE but that straight cable is so long for mobile use.any problems with it for mobile use for anyone here?

Problem solved
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/ATH-M50s-LE-R
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/ATH-M50WH-R

Jun 28, 2012 at 6:58 AM Post #99 of 176
Quote:

Did you get him to pay you?

I would strangle whoever loses my 'phones!

Jun 28, 2012 at 7:01 AM Post #100 of 176
Quote:
hmmm im torn between the m50 white and the m50 LE.id rather the looks of the LE but that straight cable is so long for mobile use.any problems with it for mobile use for anyone here?

There's a video somewhere on Youtube on how to braid your headphones' long straight cable so that's it's more portable, too lazy to find the link.. :x

Aug 9, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #102 of 176
Hi all,

Psychoacoustics  plays a large part in sound perception. I have written papers on this phenom, especially concerning cables.

AT made the straight cord, coiled cord and LE with identical drivers, ear cups etc. Just a different colour for the LE. You will not have a perceptible sound difference between models. You will have different perception of sound due to what you want to believe. If you want to believe that a longer cable will make it sound warmer, then it may. If you want to believe that the LE, OMG a Limited Edition, will sound better, then it may. There are no physics that will support your belief.

If you want to know more about human hearing I suggest you do some research starting with the Fletcher & Munson Bell Labs studies from the 1940's.

I think the most important part of headphone audio is finding what works for you. Though we are all humanoids, our audio reception gear is all slightly different and as a result, will respond differently to different physical models.

Through it all, enjoy.

Ciao

Aug 12, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #103 of 176
Damn i should have done more research..... Just ordered the white m50 today.

I sure hope silver paint doesnt psycologically sound better than white plastic!

To each his own :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Aug 16, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #104 of 176
Quote:
Hi all,

Psychoacoustics  plays a large part in sound perception. I have written papers on this phenom, especially concerning cables.

AT made the straight cord, coiled cord and LE with identical drivers, ear cups etc. Just a different colour for the LE. You will not have a perceptible sound difference between models. You will have different perception of sound due to what you want to believe. If you want to believe that a longer cable will make it sound warmer, then it may. If you want to believe that the LE, OMG a Limited Edition, will sound better, then it may. There are no physics that will support your belief.

If you want to know more about human hearing I suggest you do some research starting with the Fletcher & Munson Bell Labs studies from the 1940's.

I think the most important part of headphone audio is finding what works for you. Though we are all humanoids, our audio reception gear is all slightly different and as a result, will respond differently to different physical models.

Through it all, enjoy.

Ciao

Sorry, but since I have cables that sound "obviously" different not to just my ears (monitoring through DT880 600 Ohm) but to many other people, I would have to say that you need to do more research on this subject.

While I agree that psychoacoustic can play a part in this, there are cases where legitimate physical events occur and cause those differences. Nothing is perfect in this world. Slight manufacturing differences can cause those differences in sound, and it's not just me that's hearing these differences.

If you are still skeptical, I'd be more than happy to invite you over and let you hear those differences yourself on my gears.

Aug 23, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #105 of 176
Bill, you're spot on with your ",,,,,legitimate physical events....." comment. Even 2 "identical" items can demonstrate a difference due to changes in manufacturing.

The human ear is an interesting organ and I have studied it and its interaction with the brain for years. Now, I do this for a living and I live very well. There are many physical parameters that will effect one's perception of what they are hearing. For example, loudness can affect the perceived pitch.

However, I maintain that, with all things being equal, one is unable to discern a difference in sound due to cables, unless it has experienced "legitimate physical events". I have demonstrated this time and again in double blind test sessions. I have even made NO changes and the listeners perceived a difference.

Because much of these discussions are based on perception and belief, it is very difficult to maintain objective reasoning.

Thank you again for your response.

Ciao,
 GEO

PS: Doc, you are going to hate the white painted ones. They just do not deliver.  lol
Enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back