ATH-M50, SRH840, or HFI-780 - If I were to pick one Right Now - electronica
Jun 19, 2010 at 11:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

WaveRider69

100+ Head-Fier
I'm coming from ATH-AD700.

My source is a Xonar Essence STX with built in headphone amp.

This is primarily for electronica/dance/pop/female vocals.  Then occasional R&B, Hip-Hop, & Hard Rock.

All feel free to vote based on experience and/or also based on what you've read or heard other people say.

I want to buy this weekend, also if you recommend something else please state.

Primarily seeking more emphasis on front stage, a stronger harder fuller lower end without being boomy while maintaining decent midrange for vocals, and similar clarity like from the AD700's.

Jun 19, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #3 of 23
Out of the ones you listed I'd definitely go for the 780s. I've tried the 840s and they seem too balanced for what you want. Bass is bigger on the Ultrasones. Haven't tried the M50 though.

I mainly listen to trance and other bass heavy music and I feel that it's hard to beat the Ultrasone sound sig for this type of music. I voted other though because you can generally find a Pro 750 for sub $200 in the FS forum which I feel is a better option. A little less bass than the 780s offer but it's better controlled and all around more refined, more comfortable too. Plus you get a carrying case, two cables, and an extra set of pads.

Jun 19, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #5 of 23
I've had the M50S since Christmas and it didn't have the same WOW factor as my HD280's did when I first got them.  I don't know why the M50 is so popular here.  The bass on it just doesn't cut it for me, even after I modded it.  I've done my homework and I'm about to buy a pair of 780s for myself.  While I've never heard the 840, FWIR, it's not bassy enough for real electronica music.  After my M50S, I've learned my lesson, I'm going for "fun" and "colored" music and entertainment cans now instead of "accurate" and "natural" studio monitors. 

Jun 20, 2010 at 6:43 AM Post #10 of 23
Your primary music genre looks pretty same as my and I ordered the Beyerdynamic Dt770/600, though those will exceed your budget by little, or if you buy them used I think you can make it. I cannot say because I havent got them yet but here is a link to my thread when I was deciding what 'phones to get http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/496026/d2000-vs-dt770-600

But if you are looking for more "portable" ones and not able to get BD from what I've read youre all choices seem to be pretty decent. And like others are saying PRO 750 ultrasones should be pretty good too as they are comfy and the bass was pretty "punchy" when I tried them. I don't think youll be dissapointed with those. Hopefully this lessens your burden of choosing.

Jun 20, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #11 of 23
I have the M50 & the SRH-840. To me the M50 is better for electronica because it has a more balance sound and deeper bass extension. Also it has a bigger soundstage, which is important in capturing the ambience in progresssive trance. The SRH-840 on the contrary to what most people claim is not balance. The midrange is more prominent than the bass and the treble, similar to the Shure SE-530. There is a misconception between balance sound and neutral sound. In order for a pair of cans to sound neutral it has to be balance. But just because a pair of cans are balance they don't necessary have to be neutral. It just means there is no emphasis on any particular area of the frequency sprectrum. However, the SRH-840 are AMAZING for small scale jazz (especially older recordings from late 50's), classic rock and any music that has an emphasis on vocals.

Jun 20, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #12 of 23
That's the first time I have read that M50s have a larger soundstage than SRH840s. One of the reasons I chose the 840s over the M50s was due to a more compressed soundstage on the M50s, but I have only sampled them once in a noisy environment.

Jun 20, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #13 of 23
I think the Ultrasones may work best with electronica. They have this dry, defined sound that works very well with synths IMO. The Shure are better suited for reproduction of natural instruments IMO. M50 is a significant downgrade from both IMO - avoid it.

Jun 20, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #14 of 23
ahhh you guys rock!  ok I've narrowed it down then between

------Ultrasone Pro 650/750 - how big is the difference between the two?

------Beyer DT770

------Denon D2000?

Thanks Tons all of you guys are helping a lot. Wish I could edit the poll  :D

Hey btw I've always been curious about the ESW9 do they really compare to these other larger cans?  That would be cool if so.

Jun 20, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #15 of 23
GREAT final choices!  the PRO 550 has AMAZING bass btw but the 750 is great too. I'm getting the 650 right now so i dunno how good it is.

I havent tried beyers until recently and they are definitely a great choice too. I loved how they sounded when i heard them but when i had to choose. The Ultrasone Pros have a better sound character for electronic music. The beyers are very open sounding for closed headphones. Actually i tried the 880 and the 770. one is open and one is closed and they sounded surprisingly similar.

I have the Denon D7000 but I bought the Ultrasone Pro 650 cuz I miss the Pro 550s that i had for electronic music. They are still amazing headphones tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back