ATH M50...some questions
Mar 7, 2011 at 6:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

tehgreatguy

New Head-Fier
Whats up guys, just dropping by to ask a few question on the ATH M50 Coiled

#1) For about 2 months I was on and off about buying a good piece of headgear, but in the long run I narrowed it down to the audio technica M50. I read that they are amazing, sound is awesome, they look cool...ect ect. So i bought a pair...I burned them in for like 20-30 hours or something and began to listen to them. Now i dont want get ripped to shreds here but i am going to state that this is my first pair of very high quality headphones, but I dont really see any of the mass hype behind these cans. The sound is pretty good, but its not like im drooling over the sound, the bass is good, and to me it seems everything equalizes itself, or i should say its all neutral and for dropping $100 for just music headphones I guess they are ok...

I listen to alot of dance music such as trance, house, electro, and breaks and also other genres. The artists by the name of Justice (cross) sound unbelievable on these headphones, like freakin amazing, but other productions by other artists sounds pretty sub par. So can any one tell me if its either the productions that make the music good or actually the headphones themselves 0.o? Or maybe both? I dont know so, back to the sound of the cans, I really dont "feel" the music unless the song has been modified to have more bass or something, Listening to jamiroquai on them doesnt sound any better than listening to them on my other "regular" pair of headphones. But dont get me wrong, i can hear a difference its just not a massive one.

So after buying the headphones, either people that where reviewing this product where huge fan boys of this company or just have a different ear, but I went into buying them with a huge high standards, and sort of didnt get what I thought I would get.

#2) I am also looking for a legit answer on another part of the headphones, I bought a coiled version (to make it more portable) and the cord was always very soft and bendable, and it could always be bent into different directions, and it would never stay in that position for long time. After going to class with them, I started to take the coiled part and some alot of the excess cord into my pocket, after 2 days of doing that the cord has become so stiff, and just stays in one position the entire time, which led it to begin to twist around the coiled part...and un-twisting doesnt seem to work [sorry i have no pictures for you guys :frowning2: ] Also, does a twist in the cord mean anything, such as damages in the wire? and if left twisted/stiff/hard (no puns haha) will it lower the durability of the wire or what not? I have read that such twists a really bad for the product, and can lower the life span of the quality of the sound.

Anyways, thank you for taking the time to read this, and if something is not clear, i will try to re-post and go more in depth into what i meant to say. Cant wait to read the feedback!

Mar 7, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #2 of 5
Welcome to head-fi! =)

I have the m50s, and they are great with these genres that you said. In fact Jamiroquai, sound strange because the m50 have too much bass, so you probably can't hear the mids very well. Anyway they sound better than any low-end HP that I've tryed. Are tou listenning to lossless music? This help alot.
About the cord, I can't answer because I have the stright cable version.

Mar 7, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #3 of 5
ty for the welcoming! lots of cool and smart people on an about on this site!

Now when u asked about lossless music, what do u mean, are you talking about dull music, that has no climactic sound or, do u mean lossless as in a specific sound to burn the headphones?

o and, I must be totally trippin out but, these headphones sound x10 times better plugged into my computer than they do in my iPod Nano...any reason for that?

Mar 7, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #4 of 5
I can notice about ipod stuff too, they don't have enough power to drive the m50 well.

About lossless audio, it is music with out loosing quality, ripped as it should be into flac or any other lossless format, instead of mp3 that has a huge loss in quality. If you can't get flac, try to don't listen to 128kbps mp3, 320kbps is way better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back