ATH-M50 SMELL?!!?!
Feb 27, 2011 at 8:20 AM Post #16 of 36

Quote:
Try some Vanilla scent oil from WallMart. Wipe the leatherette cushions with the Vanilla scent oil. Drop only a couple drops of the Vaniila scent oil at the bottom corner ofthe pouch. Put the M50s back in the pouch Let it set overnight. Hopefully, the next day you will have a Vanilla smell M50s instead the M 50s that smells like crap. Good luck.

It's generally not a good idea to mix a bad smell with a good one, from my experience it would only make it more repulsive.

Feb 27, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #17 of 36
Wow, thanks for all the suggestions!

So far, Febreze seems the most viable...
Has anyone ever used Febreze on their cans?

I just don't want any liquid getting into the drivers.... :S

Feb 27, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #18 of 36

Quote:
Wow, thanks for all the suggestions!

So far, Febreze seems the most viable...
Has anyone ever used Febreze on their cans?

I just don't want any liquid getting into the drivers.... :S

So, how are they now?  smelly M50s or not smelly M50s?

I try to  develope a habbit before I listen to my cans. That's washing my face and my ears with warm water & soap then let dry for a few minutes before I wear my cans.  You are what you eat ( no sexual implicit expression , so don't try twisting my words). Human sweats discharge thru the skin may not help to prolong the life of these el-cheapo leatherette cushions and odor could be one of the reason.

Try to seat next to the guy who eats a lot of raw garlic and onions and tell me that you are NOT what you eat. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 27, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #19 of 36
From past experience, febreezing a bad smell usually does not cover it up. It only mixes with it and makes it more repulsive.
Try airing it out next to some baking soda or something first. Or you could always just Axe it =P

Feb 27, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #20 of 36

Quote:

Unfortunately, most ATH-M50's are made in China, where they hate the capitalist swine. The workers are notorious for defecating on their manufactured goods as they salute a giant banner of Mao Zedong; they will usually wipe off the stuff well enough so that any remaining feces is undetectable to the eye. However, heat and poor circulation will often bring out the smell, depending on how much crap is left. 

You might send out your M50 to a lab to test the fecal concentration. If it's really bad, you might be able to get a partial refund from Audio Technica. I was able to get 15% back.

Now we have fecal concentrated M50s. Damned those communists. I bet you their M50s do not smell at all.

Feb 27, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #21 of 36
So would just leaving it out for a few hours take the smell away? They still smell pretty repulsive, but yea, I guess it's just the sweat...

Okay so let me get this straight: 

Febreze doesn't work?
Just airing them out will work?
Putting a box of baking soda beside it is a good idea?

And also, I really don't want to use Axe or any other scent for that matter.... 

Feb 27, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #22 of 36
Quick question, is the scent coming from the ear pads or is it on pretty much the entire headphone?

Feb 27, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #24 of 36
Whole headphone, leather pouch (inside + outside), cable.

Only non smelling thing is the actual gold plated connector....

GOOD GOD, MAN! TRY SOMETHING ALREADY!

Feb 27, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #25 of 36
Wow, okay.  Hmm, I  suggest using a disinfectant wipe as the odor could be being caused by a bacteria of some sort, plus you can easily avoid damaging the drivers.  Using Fabreeze or another fragrance might just only mask the odor as opposed to get to the root of the problem.

Feb 27, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #26 of 36
Logweed, I do not want to mess something up, which is why I am being so careful.

Digital-Pride, would a disinfectant wipe get rid of the odour?  Also, it the headphone is wet from the wipe, I just leave it out to dry, correct?  
So let me get this straight...use a disinfectant wipe to wipe the headphone, earpad(s), cable, inside and outside of pouch, and then leave it for an hour to dry.  
Alright, I may just try that.  Thank you. :)

Feb 27, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #27 of 36
You're welcome!  I think residue from disinfectant wipes usually dry pretty quickly so you probably won't have to wait too long.  Good luck!  Let us know if you were successful.

Feb 27, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #28 of 36

Quote:
Logweed, I do not want to mess something up, which is why I am being so careful.

Digital-Pride, would a disinfectant wipe get rid of the odour?  Also, it the headphone is wet from the wipe, I just leave it out to dry, correct?  
So let me get this straight...use a disinfectant wipe to wipe the headphone, earpad(s), cable, inside and outside of pouch, and then leave it for an hour to dry.  
Alright, I may just try that.  Thank you. :)

Any other M50 owner(s) has the smelly issue please chime in. AT needs to be aware of it .

Feb 27, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #29 of 36
Quote:

Unfortunately, most ATH-M50's are made in China, where they hate the capitalist swine. The workers are notorious for defecating on their manufactured goods as they salute a giant banner of Mao Zedong; they will usually wipe off the stuff well enough so that any remaining feces is undetectable to the eye. However, heat and poor circulation will often bring out the smell, depending on how much crap is left. 

You might send out your M50 to a lab to test the fecal concentration. If it's really bad, you might be able to get a partial refund from Audio Technica. I was able to get 15% back.

Reading about some headphones earlier today, someone asked if they were made in China or Germany (Senns or AKGs). Now I know why some really care about that..

OP: A good strategy would be to try the least possibly-destructive thing first, and move up the chain until the issue is solved. That would be hanging them in fresh air.

Feb 27, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #30 of 36
It's a matter of hygiene (not saying that you guys are filthy), but there is going to accumulated sebum and compounds from your sweat. Eventually a headphone is going to smell a little bit, especially if you have sweat that tends to smell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back