ATH-M50 questions?
Apr 16, 2011 at 9:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

WakiDabeast

500+ Head-Fier
I just ordered my ath-m50's coiled and i listened to them for a day and broke em in over night full blast with some white noise, a track with like 50 tracks put over each other, heavy drums, and frequency things. I feel like they aren't as deep as everyone says is over night enough for breaking in and can the resolution of the music cause sibilance. The bass is great but definetley not powerfull because it plays the bass accuratley so what would sound like deep hard bass on another headphone sound likes mid bass on these and im wondering is that good? It seems like its playing the music more accuratley. 

Apr 16, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #2 of 3
That depends almost entirely on you and your musical tastes.  I personally think it's a good thing.  One of my major experiences with the M50 is spot on with yours: they have a different type of bass for each song they play, unlike other headphones that have maybe like 2 or 3 types of bass.  At their price point, they are rather revealing of the song and how it was recorded and mastered.  If a song is mastered with really low bass, the M50 will give it to you.  If the song is mastered with subtle bass, the M50 will give subtle bass.

Now you'll start having to be more mindful of the types of masterings each song has.  There's no denying the M50s go deep though, they go considerably deeper than my car's audio.  Their tight seal helps them a lot in that regards.

Apr 16, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #3 of 3
The M50s at least try to be "monitor headphones". Which means they will attempt to reproduce the music faithfully without emphasis on say bass or treble. So yes, their bass will sound less powerful than of a headphone which is less neutral and has an emphasis on bass. However, the M50's potential to produce powerful bass very impressive, whether or not this potential is utilized by the musical piece, gear, or EQ is a different question.

On a personal note I always give the M50s a little bass boost, either from an EQ or hardware boost on portable amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back