ATH M50 for my music
Jan 14, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #16 of 20
There are so many threads on these headphones with all kinds of opinions.  It's unfortunate to start a new thread and then base your decision on the 3 people who respond.  Most people have already said what they think about them. 

Jan 15, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #17 of 20

Quote:
There are so many threads on these headphones with all kinds of opinions.  It's unfortunate to start a new thread and then base your decision on the 3 people who respond.  Most people have already said what they think about them. 

Hes right, although i still love reading anything to do with the M50's ,,,, cause i lurve them

Jan 29, 2011 at 3:43 AM Post #19 of 20
Just to throw my own 2-cents into the mix.

I own the M50s (a very satisfied listener) and have auditioned the SRH840's a couple times at the local Guitar Center. I know that's not the same as owning a pair, but it's better than nothing--I actually listened to the Shure's earlier today when I was comparing them against some Beyers.

In any case, the M50's are excellent all-around cans IMHO, and not limited to hip-hop fans or bassheads. There's been so much use of "recessed mids" to describe them, both here and in almost every other thread about the M50's. I think until you've heard neutral or even forward mids, you won't really understand how much of an exaggeration 'recessed' is. I will agree that the SRH840's sounded much more forward, the mids being very much apparent, but I think unless you're actively looking to hear out the mids, you won't be missing anything with the M50's.Granted, that's just another opinion, but if that's what you want to base your decision on, I highly suggest searching some of the other threads for more input on this same type of debate (i.e. SRH840 vs M50).

Some other things to consider that may/may not help your decision: the M50's are much more portable, being able to fold up should you ever want to carry them somewhere. The 840's are generally a little more uncomfortable for long-term use, but if you have sensitive ears, then the M50's may feel more uncomfortable because of the tighter headband (this can be stretched out though, and actually 840 pads can be used on the M50 to increase comfort). The 840's also have a detachable cord.

Jan 29, 2011 at 4:18 AM Post #20 of 20
The answer to this thread is very simple, does the OP like neutral and balanced and natural sound, or bassy, warm, fun mainstream sound.

Here are the options-
Tier 3:
Shure 840 - if you want balanced
AT m50 - if you want fun

Tier 2, next step up:
Beyer DT250 - if you want balanced
Beyer DT770 - if you want fun

How much you wanna spend determines what tier, and what sound signature you like determines the phone, it really is quite simple. I would personally go balanced sound for the types of music you listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back