ATH M50 Expectations?
May 21, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #348 of 370
I've had my ATH-M50s for 8 months and they're great, even on my laptop and cell phone. I got glasses recently so I can't enjoy them without my ears hurting.

The sound is very analytical compared to other headphones, but you can hear hidden notes you would never hear with cheaper headphones. These headphones are incredibly durable. Mine show very little wear after heavy use over 8 months. I'm not sure they sounded any different after being burned in, but that may have happened so slowly I didn't notice.

I will say that, depending on your head size, you may have to stretch the padded headband because it can be too tight. Love these headphones and I would still rock them everyday at work if I didn't have glasses.

Oct 17, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #349 of 370
hello I would like to know if model Audio-Technica ATH-M50
is doing for her:

listen to music long time

One can carry around like school `s office put it in a backpack ect ..
resistance to cold and want! because I live in canada.

I also want to know if its a purchase that's your prize for her.

thank you to answer me quickly
dt880smile.png

Oct 18, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #350 of 370
Quote:
hello I would like to know if model Audio-Technica ATH-M50
is doing for her:

listen to music long time

One can carry around like school `s office put it in a backpack ect ..
resistance to cold and want! because I live in canada.

I also want to know if its a purchase that's your prize for her.

thank you to answer me quickly
dt880smile.png

A quick yes from me. Sounds like you've done some research on it, and it'll be good for active folks in different situations. They have a classic look that most people won't be distracted by. As for long listening sessions, mileage will very. Some say the clamping for is too strong/tight so some adjustment is called for. GL!

Oct 19, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #351 of 370
Kiop, if you are asking if this is water proof and cold proof I would caution against it. This headphone is designed for studio use, which is typically indoors.

As well, the ATH-M50s are hard to find in Canada. They are bigger and maybe too heavy for a girl to wear in public for a long period of time. If she is used to smaller headphones, she may not be too enthusiastic about these.

There are some other manufacturers out there that do make more durable headphones. Examples are the athletic sports ones made for joggers and runners who are outside in the rain and snow.

Sennheiser makes some such as the Sennheiser Neckband Headphones (PMX 680) and Sennheiser Adidas Headset (CX680I). They are at Future Shop in Canada right now. If you do a search for "sports headphones" or "athletic headphones" you can see a whole bunch of different brands are available. Most weather resistant headphones are in-ear or ear bud style.

Dec 28, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #354 of 370
Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Out of all the headphones I have owned, I would say the M50s are the best when it comes to price/performance. Be happy with them, as they are amazing. I still regret giving mine up.

Same here. I mean they have been outdone by my current headphones, but I still miss them to this day. They were just amazing and a "point of reference" for me. I compared all the Grados I bought and auditioned to them and I still think about them when I listen to my newer high-end cans.

They were really bang for your buck and the best can at $100-$150 IMO.

I'm just thinking about buying myself a first pair of "nice" headphones, and would you say that M50s are a better "first pair" than the Grado 60 and 80?

Dec 28, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #355 of 370
Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Out of all the headphones I have owned, I would say the M50s are the best when it comes to price/performance. Be happy with them, as they are amazing. I still regret giving mine up.

Same here. I mean they have been outdone by my current headphones, but I still miss them to this day. They were just amazing and a "point of reference" for me. I compared all the Grados I bought and auditioned to them and I still think about them when I listen to my newer high-end cans.

They were really bang for your buck and the best can at $100-$150 IMO.

I'm just thinking about buying myself a first pair of "nice" headphones, and would you say that M50s are a better "first pair" than the Grado 60 and 80?

Mar 16, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #357 of 370
When I first bought my M50s I thought they were good value and would have happily recommended them. Now, after only 6 months of use the earpads have become hard and started cracking. This is with minimal home use. If the earpads need to be replaced this often I can't see these as being good value at all. It's really put me off AT products sadly. Now to find a decent replacement earpad!

Mar 22, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #358 of 370
Quote:
go_quote.gif

When I first bought my M50s I thought they were good value and would have happily recommended them. Now, after only 6 months of use the earpads have become hard and started cracking. This is with minimal home use. If the earpads need to be replaced this often I can't see these as being good value at all. It's really put me off AT products sadly. Now to find a decent replacement earpad!

I still have a 30 years old AT pair, running in the family, still looking good. (ill post a pic) I think all modern products are just made weaker...

Mar 23, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #359 of 370
Quote:
The M50s are a really descent pair of headphones, and I really enjoy listening to mine. While I don't think they are as good as most people make them seem, in that price range, it's about as good as it gets. 

For the most part I agree. I've owned mine for several years. They are going strong.
They are great cans for the money... great value. I actually like the sound. Not my #1, but I wasn't expecting it to be, when I bought them.

They fit a specific purpose for me. And they do that better then many others I have owned.

Mar 23, 2013 at 4:14 AM Post #360 of 370
I've owned my ATH-M50 for 10 months now. The only complaint I have is the earpads are already toast. They're dry and cracking. I wonder if there are any good replacement earpads besides the stock ones that won't dry up and crack so soon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back