ATH M50 Expectations?
May 20, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #331 of 370

Quote:
If you exceed level 30 on S9 but you find the volume satisfying for your ears then there is no need of the extra gear.. Keep in mind that the battery may drain a little bit faster though...

Yeah, I also thought about the battery drain. I see that you have the Fiio E5, I was maybe gonna get it, do you recommend it? It looks small enough to carry around and I've read pretty positive reviews about it. Because, tbh, I'd rather not lose any battery life on my S9. Thanks!

May 20, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #332 of 370

Quote:
Yeah, I also thought about the battery drain. I see that you have the Fiio E5, I was maybe gonna get it, do you recommend it? It looks small enough to carry around and I've read pretty positive reviews about it. Because, tbh, I'd rather not lose any battery life on my S9. Thanks!

E5 has the size of a matchbox and it has a clip that you can attach to your jacket or whatever if you do no not want to put it in your pocket.
Lets say that your normal listening volume is 30 on S9,with E5 at maximum you will have to drop to 26 on the S9.
Also it has a bass boost switch which will give you some extra punch..
For the price i think it is a nice gadget to have because you can use it also on your pc if you experience low volume output..
I hope this info is helpful to make up your mind...

May 24, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #334 of 370
Sorry for the double post but I've been looking for a case/pouch to carry my M50's but I've found nothing on Ebay. I know it comes with one but I was wondering if I could find something better?

May 24, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #335 of 370

Quote:
Sorry for the double post but I've been looking for a case/pouch to carry my M50's but I've found nothing on Ebay. I know it comes with one but I was wondering if I could find something better?

Slappa pro headphone case. I always carry mine in one of those and its perfect. i think i have a pict somewhere if you wish.

May 24, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #336 of 370
May 24, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #337 of 370
yeah thats the same, and i found the picts, I fold it in a different way.

e39bea88_ATHM50slappa.JPG

cf7d8f0f_DenonHP700Slappa.JPG

Jun 21, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #338 of 370
I've had these headphones since November of last year, but the wire is already starting to go bad. It's really my fault for not taking care of the wire, but I do move around a lot so I find myself occasionally packing up the headphones into the pouch and in my laptop bag that's kinda cramped. I've decided to put these away and use my earphones until I return back to civilization and order some Sennheiser HD 650 headphones. I must say, however, that these headphones have served me well and are pretty good for their price.

Jun 21, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #339 of 370

Quote:
I've had these headphones since November of last year, but the wire is already starting to go bad. It's really my fault for not taking care of the wire, but I do move around a lot so I find myself occasionally packing up the headphones into the pouch and in my laptop bag that's kinda cramped. I've decided to put these away and use my earphones until I return back to civilization and order some Sennheiser HD 650 headphones. I must say, however, that these headphones have served me well and are pretty good for their price.

How is the cable going bad? I've had my M50's for about 3~4 months now, carry it around with me every day in its pouch in my backpack, and my M50's cable shows zero signs of wear and tear.

Jun 22, 2011 at 5:31 AM Post #340 of 370

Quote:
How is the cable going bad? I've had my M50's for about 3~4 months now, carry it around with me every day in its pouch in my backpack, and my M50's cable shows zero signs of wear and tear.

Somewhere near the headphone jack, underneath the coiled area...something isn't connected properly anymore. If I move around the wire enough, the sound on the left cuts out completely and I have to mess with it some more to get sound out of both ears again. Like I said, it's more of my fault for not packing it properly. I probably ended up bending the cable too much at that end.

Sep 2, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #342 of 370
These will do fine without an amp, but an amp does improve its sound quality slighty. They should sound great comming from your ipod touch, but im not too sure about the onboard sound card since some are good and some are meh.. Hope that helps

Sep 2, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #343 of 370

Quote:
Guys, this baby would go fine without a amp? I found one very cheap at a local store, but i don't know how it would behave on my humble rig (a.k.a a pc with a onboard sound card and a iPod touch)

M50 alone -> analytical sound with okay treble, lacking mids, and decent but slightly flabby bass. imaging is kind of muddy.

M50 + amp -> sound a little clearer, slightly better soundstage and imaging, bass more solid, mids a little smoother.

M50 + DAC + amp (e.g. e7+e9 combo) -> CLEAN CLEAN SOUND, imaging improves quite a bit, bass is so **** satisfying, mids improve more too, and the treble just shines and sparkles effortlessly.

Feb 22, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #345 of 370
So I had built some expectations for the ATH-M50s from research and testing other headphones. At this point, I am still burning them in with about five to ten hours of burn in time now.

I tried out a couple studio monitors at some shops with the song Genesis - Man On The Corner on my iPhone 3G. The song is used as my test song because it has isolated moments of trebble, isolated moments of bass, and blended moments of trebble, bass, and midtones. The cans were the Shure 840, Beyerdynamic DT-770 to get an idea of what I might be getting in to in studio headphones. I tried them out about a month between each other.

The Beyers were good, I seem to remember they took a fair amount of power to drive, and I found the construction seemed kind of cheap for the price point, and the look wasn't the greatest. The Shure I fell in love with instantly, but it had the exposed wires around the ears which I was willing to wait for something better to avoid that nuisance and fear of damage. 

I really had my heart set on the Sennheiser 380 or the Shure 940, sight unseen, but couldn't find enough retailers out there that have it, or enough credible and consistent reviews out there. So I figured, sight unseen, I would just order the Audio Technica ATH M50s because it had all the convenience features I wanted, enormous amount of good reviews, good brand awareness, good appearance and construction, and a great price.

I wasn't nervous about how they would sound after doing the research and driving to the U.S. to pick them up. When I brought them to the hotel I plugged them in and tried them out... they were really quite amazing. It has been a couple months since I tried the Shure 840 but I think the sound was very similar. Both the Shure and AT have great passive sound isolation and leaking protection. In fact, I think they have the same amount of isolation that my active Bose QC15 has.

A real test of the range of the monitors was listening to songs that I have heard a million times and know them in and out like the back of my hand. When playing them you hear all sorts of subtleties that you would never know were there before from listening to on decent head phones, or even good speakers. Examples of subtleties would be things like hearing the singer breathing between words, or a guitar chord sounds like it is in a different key, or an extra instrument, or extra vocal layer is there that you never heard before. Almost every song has some extra layer you can hear that you never heard before.

Some people say that studio monitors lack bass. To challenge that, I feel that for the ones I have tried, the bass becomes as full as you would want it to go if you just crank the volume and drive them the way they are meant to be driven.

Some people say that studio monitors are distracting because they bring recording defects to the forefront, whereas consumer grade cans would smooth the sounds over. To be perfectly honest, I don't feel distracted by the extra definition. It doesn't affect the enjoyment. At the same time, you can rely on them for recording playback purposes knowing you are hearing everything you need to hear.

Another thing I feel I should comment on is how some people have said low quality MP3 songs sound great on good headphones. I have to say, at first reading comments like that, I kind of laugh since it doesn't make sense to even bring that up in a high end product discussion. You would think it would just amplifying the compression artifacts, raise the hiss, etc. Trying it myself, surprisingly the studio monitors do actually unlock a lot of layers that you would just assume would have disappeared in the lossy digital encoding. Some examples are bootleg demo reels that you have in MP3 that you know inside and out from listening to on other headphones or speakers to compare it with the ATH-M50s. If you have a reference point from what you know, you can make that distinction. I was really quite surprised and happy to be proven wrong on that prejudiced view I had.

So for the choice of just going out and buying easy to find Dr. Dre Beats marketing cans, or "audiophile" grade headphones that are sold in every Best Buy, I feel that studio monitors were a great way to go for business and for pleasure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back