ATH M50 Expectations?
May 5, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #316 of 370

Quote:
so i've been reading this thread for the past two hours and i'm pretty sure that i want to buy them... but i'm wondering if these are right for me. i listen to all types of music- i love norah jones and frank sinatra, but i also love dirty dutch/electro/house! does anyone go running with these on? also, are they too bulky to wear around in public? i'll be using them while walking to class as well as in the gym. i love my bass, but i also like to hear the small details. any help/insight is appreciated!

I've tried walking with them on, and they don't fall out of your head or anything...but running? lol. Also I start sweating in my ears after 30 minutes sitting in front of the computer. Running would probably be worse...And with the long cords they have, even the coiled ones, stuffing them in your pocket and running would not be a pleasant running experience...

Quote:
Oh you didn't do the book thing!

I did that for a few nights consecutively and the headphones are extremely comfortable now.

Basically adjust the band extenders to what that fit your head, then get some textbooks / a big stack of something you can set up, put some padding on two sides (e.g. socks), and clamp the headphones onto the stack of books/whatever; adjust the thickness of the stack so that the top headband part of the M50 is FLAT (this will NOT damage the headbands - in fact M50 has some of the best and toughest headband construction possible, you can do a 360 degree twist and it won't snap or anything); leave it there and go to sleep. A few days later the headband will 'remember' the widening and it'll be more comfortable.

This might be true...but if I were you, I wouldn't do it. They don't have to be stretched/twisted this much. The book stack just has to be slightly wider than your head. Besides, you might not want them to be too loose, since you will lose some of that isolation.

May 10, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #318 of 370

Quote:
well i have the ath m50s also but there to big for small head. Iem's here come.....

Get Shure SRH750dj, it has similar price and sound quality as M50, but is designed NOT to fit large heads (i.e. mine).

May 11, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #321 of 370
They just look funny on my head IMO. They also kinda feel heavy on my head to. Maybe there just not for me. I'm just getting in to the Audiophile world so I guess it will take time for me too understand what I will like and dislike.

May 11, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #322 of 370

Quote:
They just look funny on my head IMO. ......... I'm just getting in to the Audiophile world so I guess it will take time for me too understand what I will like and dislike.

In the Audiophile world, aesthetics are entirely overlooked for the sake of higher sonic fidelity.

May 11, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #323 of 370

Quote:
+1 on that. I have a small head (the M50s are loose on me) and the 750DJs stay tight.

+2. I have the 750 DJ due to some pressure on my earlobes but I cannot resist the price/ performance ( my employee discount, that is) so I bought another pair of 750 DJ and this time they are here to stay with my other cans.

Without any Eqing or toying around with the tone control and with the kind of music I listen to, I do not hear any bloated bass or any
heavy bass. I know I am not a bassed head.

May 11, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #324 of 370
Hey if there not comfortable for your likings then there not worth it. If you can by pass that feeling then more power to you. At the end of the day ur just looking for something that satisfy you and not anyone else.

May 11, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #325 of 370

Quote:
They just look funny on my head IMO. They also kinda feel heavy on my head to. Maybe there just not for me. I'm just getting in to the Audiophile world so I guess it will take time for me too understand what I will like and dislike.

I would wear a llama on my head if it sounded good.  Sound>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>looks.  

May 11, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #326 of 370
I noticed discomfort too with my ear lobes and the pressure on the top of my head using the headband using the SRH-750dj. What I did was fold and stuff cotton pads underneath the leather of the earpads and noticed this was a big improvement in comfort. It gave more more room for my earlobes, I had a tighter seal, and the pressure from the headband decreased. I also didn't notice a decrease in SQ. It's worth a try for you if you have some cotton pads/balls lying around the house.

Quote:
+2. I have the 750 DJ due to some pressure on my earlobes but I cannot resist the price/ performance ( my employee discount, that is) so I bought another pair of 750 DJ and this time they are here to stay with my other cans.

Without any Eqing or toying around with the tone control and with the kind of music I listen to, I do not hear any bloated bass or any
heavy bass. I know I am not a bassed head.

May 12, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #328 of 370

What ever floats your boat.
biggrin.gif

May 19, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #329 of 370
Hi all!

I finally caved in and bought the ATH-M50 at B&H in NYC (where I'm currently on vacation).

They sound AMAZING with my Cowon S9 but something's bothering me: with my Hippo VB, I usually listen to my S9 at 19/22 volume but with the M50's, I have to go up to 30! (the max volume being 40)

Does this mean I should invest in a small amp? I don't really want to because this will yet another piece of hardware to carry around when traveling. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks :)

May 20, 2011 at 6:35 AM Post #330 of 370

Quote:
Hi all!

I finally caved in and bought the ATH-M50 at B&H in NYC (where I'm currently on vacation).

They sound AMAZING with my Cowon S9 but something's bothering me: with my Hippo VB, I usually listen to my S9 at 19/22 volume but with the M50's, I have to go up to 30! (the max volume being 40)

Does this mean I should invest in a small amp? I don't really want to because this will yet another piece of hardware to carry around when traveling. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks :)

Congrats for your new cans
No need for you to get an amp..
If you exceed level 30 on S9 but you find the volume satisfying for your ears then there is no need of the extra gear..
Keep in mind that the battery may drain a little bit faster though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back