ATH M50 Expectations?
Sep 13, 2010 at 10:54 AM Post #197 of 370
I picked up a pair of M50s over the weekend and I am thoroughly enjoying them. Their sound signature is almost perfect for me and seeing as they were only $100, they're an incredible value so far.

Sep 13, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #198 of 370

Quote:
I picked up a pair of M50s over the weekend and I am thoroughly enjoying them. Their sound signature is almost perfect for me and seeing as they were only $100, they're an incredible value so far.

And the sound only improves over time.
wink_face.gif

Congrats on your acquisition.

shane

Sep 21, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #199 of 370
I'm debating whether to purchase these or something in the Beyer line, all it's down to is sound quality, comfort and finally build quality - every description for me screams one of the Beyers - but those consistent M50 rave reviews make it impossible to ignore and not strongly consider....decisions, decisions. 

There was one post earlier in this thread that nailed it for me....the one that said the DT770 Premium is basically the M50 but with a little more bass and a little larger soundstage or something to that effect. If that's true then the DT770 would be ideal for me because I get the quality finish I've been after and uber comfort. Not to mention the sound quality which will be amped anyway. Could it be that the Beyer's are a better option for me I wonder ?

Sep 21, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #200 of 370
^^ What will you be using them for? How will you be listening... relaxing, moving, analylical...?
You want closed or open?
How do you like your tunes... bright, restrained, bassy?

Sep 21, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #201 of 370

Quote:
^^ What will you be using them for? How will you be listening... relaxing, moving, analylical...?
You want closed or open?
How do you like your tunes... bright, restrained, bassy?

Hi shane, wow that was quick lol! 

I have a much larger post explaining all this in a thread I created earlier....but to condense it I'll be using them at home, amped from a Xonar Essence ST sound card (probably further amped in future), price is about even so for once money doesn't come into it lol, closed or open doesn't really matter as both have their drawbacks and positives as I've owned a set of both before and prefer open by a shade depending on the extent of leakage by design (not too versed in either format tbh). As for how I like my tunes...not sure I'd like bright phones, I like to hear the bass at all times easily if it's there and supposed to be and I like to listen at moderate volumes or just shy of as I don't like to make my ears ring for too long for the most part. I listen to mainly rock music with some electronica and hip hop thrown in. Also use headphones for gaming and movies. So bass is important to be present but it's not the be all end all of the spectrum. I also love detail. I currently own a pair of Koss Porta Pro's which I chanced due to the rave reviews and I really like their sound quality it's just they're not over ears and I'm after a really comfortable over the ear upgrade. 

Sep 21, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #202 of 370
I wouldn't say they cost about the same as the M50s can be found for 100$
And owning both I have to say there is a world, no wait, a universe of difference between bassy M50s and DT990s~600

The beyers (when amped properly) blow the M50s away in every possible way. I use the M50s all day at work, and the Beyers at home, so I use them both a lot.
Not sure about the combination of a Beyers with a soundcard, but the 32ohm version should do fine. The M50 does for sure

Sorry, I don't have more time to get into it right now
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 21, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #203 of 370

Quote:
I wouldn't say they cost about the same as the M50s can be found for 100$
And owning both I have to say there is a world, no wait, a universe of difference between bassy M50s and DT990s~600

The beyers (when amped properly) blow the M50s away in every possible way. I use the M50s all day at work, and the Beyers at home, so I use them both a lot.
Not sure about the combination of a Beyers with a soundcard, but the 32ohm version should do fine. The M50 does for sure

Sorry, I don't have more time to get into it right now
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" />

No the Beyer's I make mention of are the 250ohm versions and besides the non pro DT 990 is way overpriced over here without importing (talking double cost of the Pro's).

And an opportunity currently exists whereby I can get a previously returned pair of DT 770/250 Premiums from Amazon factory resealed for about the same as the M50 or the DT 990 Pro. Brand new the 770 Premium on Amazon UK costs more than DT 880 Premium both of which are over £190 but less than £200. So yeah I'm not certain which way to go.

Sep 21, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #204 of 370
Having owned the DT770 both in 250 and 600 ohm, I greatly prefer the M50 for my uses. I didn't hear any bass in either DT770 variant. The bass in M50 is great. At first a bit flabby and overdone, but with time it mellows and other than slightly recessed mids, the M50's are outstanding and the richness and fullness of tone really tromp the DT770's thin anemic sound.

I do not know the DT990's so I can not comment on them.

For most of my uses at home, I find myself picking up the M50 over the DT880 about 80%. Now that I have the AH-D7000 (yesterday), I may sell my DT800's if I find they are getting absolutely no use.

The thing about the M50, aside from their great sound, is that they are such great all-rounders. They do so much so well...and are portable.

shane

Sep 23, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #205 of 370
Wow, I dont know where to start...

I took a long hiatus from all this audiophile whatnot when I went off to college (had to sell all my gear for funds). So with that said I have been getting by with crappy headphones for awhile now.

I realized the other day that i didnt like my shure IEMs anymore because they really hurt my ear canals after about 40min listening. So I embarked upon a journey of finding a good sounding closed back set of cans for the many long hours i spend drafting.

I came across these m50's and heard nothing but good reviews and opinions about them, I realized they were a great deal and possibly the answer to my problems...

And so... I bought them! Just got them today and oh my god are these a hell of a deal!

They are all around awesome cans,  considering the serious mula I used to spend on headphone rigs (see sig) I couldn't be happier with my purchase for the money spent... Truly an astonishing deal.

Cheers!

Sep 23, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #207 of 370
The more I listen to these things the more I am impressed. I hope its not the fact that Ive been sheltered from good audio quality for so many years, but either way, ignorance is bliss right?!

It seems Im not the only one who is loving these cans so there must certainly be some truth to their sensational quality.

Sep 23, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #208 of 370
Nope, its not the fact that you have been sheltered. I keep going back and forth about selling my HD580 now that I have the M50. The 580 is definitely more refined and airy, but I pick up the M50 90% of the time.

Quote:
The more I listen to these things the more I am impressed. I hope its not the fact that Ive been sheltered from good audio quality for so many years, but either way, ignorance is bliss right?!

It seems Im not the only one who is loving these cans so there must certainly be some truth to their sensational quality.

Sep 24, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #210 of 370

Quote:

Well... you went straight to one of the best values and one of the better cans out there. Amazing little all-rounders. Sure there will be others that are more neutral, revealing, smooth, etc... but there is something about these cans that is kind of addictive.
Sure I can't take my new D700's off my head... but they're new (well, and kind of amazingly good), but before I got them, the M50's were getting probably 85% of head time. My poor, wonderful DT880's have been very envious. 
wink_face.gif

EDIT:... oh yeah... and after break-in, they'll really surprise you. Wonderful... truly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back