ATH M50 "Cush x2" mod for incredible comfort and sound. (5megapixel photos)
May 9, 2011 at 4:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

GN3RAL KARL

100+ Head-Fier

What I basically did was purchase some Beyerdynamic "EDT 990 S" pads from their website for 39 dollars shipped.  Took them and applied Krazy glue to the bottom of the pads and attached them to the stock versions.  I had also attached a spare M50 ear cushion to the headband, known to me, as I'm the creator, as the "Headband Cush-Relief" mod :)

Comfort - since I wear glasses the stock M50's would press on the arms of my glasses to my head after about an hour.  The pain would quickly intensify after that necessitating the need for taking a break from them.  With the "Cush x2" mod, they're seriously as comfortable as ANY Beyerdynamic or ADxxx series from Audio Technica!  Plus since the Beyer softskins are round and not oval like the stock M50 pads, if there is any pressure, it is spread out evenly over the ears.  Nevertheless, there is no squeeze or pressure I can feel, just pure comfort.  I did stretch mine over the retail box for 16hrs also.

Sound - The most noticeable thing that is changed is the bass quantity.  It literally doubles!  Before I go any further, I must point out that this pair of M50 (straight cable) are the newer version that currently comes in a mostly white box with a very light blue top flap on the box.  This version has less bass and more bottom mids than previous versions that came in a mostly black/blue box.  I was worried that the bass would become sloppy and not have those crunchy sub-sonic lows pulling through.  I'm so glad that this wasn't the case!  It still maintains the crisp, defining, and authoritative lows that the M50's have stock, yet now there is twice as much!  Just awesome!

The mids might seem to be a touch more recessed but I think it's because there is extra distance between the driver and your ears.  No big deal for me, I just turn up the volume a little more and the sound is immediate like before.  The highs seem to remain the same to me, crisp and smooth with just the right amount of sharpness that I love so much about the M50's.

The soundstage also increases substantially!  It is larger in every way; front, back, and with additional depth.  Also it is more 3D, like the DT990's or AD700's.  In fact, the soundstage is literally just as large as the 990's!  These have replaced my DT990's for movies due to the fact that the bass has tons more impact, the M50's can get much louder than the 990's without it distorting the heavy action scenes at the very loud volume that I like, and there is more mids detail in movie soundtracks compared to the 990's. The minor difference though is that the sound has more air in the 990's due to it being open in design whereas in the M50's there is a very large space (bigger than the Denon AHD 2000's and the DT770 series), yet you can feel where the soundstage ends in the M50's.  Nevertheless those limits are absolutely jaw-dropping with the mod, making the M50's seem more like an open headphone.

The only con I can see with the sound is that it may need a little more volume from your source, otherwise I personally couldn't detect any abnormalities with the sound unless you already think that the M50's were too bass-heavy.  Me, I'm a basshead and love headphones that can produce it with authority.  In addition, you can mod these to try without it being permanent as in my case.  Just purchase and additional set of M50 pads or Beyer pads, place them over the stock ones and have a listen.  You might be blown away with the comfort and sound of these!  (sorry if I was a little sloppy with the glue, wasn't expecting it to be so runny :)

I will also have within a week from this entry the ATH PROMK2's.  I will test those both stock and with the mods.

May 9, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #4 of 31

Quote:

What I basically did was purchase some Beyerdynamic leather pads from their website for 39 dollars shipped.  

Wait... those aren't the genuine leathers, are they?  They look like the "softskin" synthetics, but I can't tell by the pictures.

If these are the genuines, model number please?  Besides the aviation pads, (no holes on the underside) the leathers have been unavailable for a while!

Oh, and bold mod, OP.  Would be interesting to hear the SQ difference.  Maybe this will even inspire someone to make some home-grown replacements for the M50. :)

May 9, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #5 of 31
I apologize for not mentioning earlier, the model number is "EDT 990 S".  Good point in mentioning if they are the genuine leather pads.  The Beyer site indeed says softskin earcushions, so these are definitely not the genuine Beyer leathers .  However, they feel cushier and more plush than the stock M50 pads after a wear-in.  I figured since the stock M50 pads weren't leather (pleather of course), that the sound quality couldn't be degraded from the quality of the Beyer pads alone (for they seem higher quality), it would just probably degrade due to the fact that I have put two cushions per cup.  But, as I gleefully found out, this wasn't the case for me! :)  I will update the review with more accurate info. 

I also wanted to mention that I might "upgrade" to the JMoney pads off Headroom and attach those to my incoming pro700mk2's.

May 10, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #6 of 31

Quote:
I apologize for not mentioning earlier, the model number is "EDT 990 S".  Good point in mentioning if they are the genuine leather pads.  The Beyer site indeed says softskin earcushions, so these are definitely not the genuine Beyer leathers .  However, they feel cushier and more plush than the stock M50 pads after a wear-in.  I figured since the stock M50 pads weren't leather (pleather of course), that the sound quality couldn't be degraded from the quality of the Beyer pads alone (for they seem higher quality), it would just probably degrade due to the fact that I have put two cushions per cup.  But, as I gleefully found out, this wasn't the case for me! :)  I will update the review with more accurate info. 

I also wanted to mention that I might "upgrade" to the JMoney pads off Headroom and attach those to my incoming pro700mk2's.

No apologies necessary at all.  It would have been quite the revelation if Beyerdynamic was currently offering their non-aviation genuine leathers á la carte instead of making them exclusive to Manufaktur headphone orders.  I don't own any Beyers at the moment, but would probably stock up just because. :)

As an aside, are there any production pads made for other headphones that also properly fit the M50?  If the SQ is affected by your mod as you state it to be, further pad rolling could provide some interesting results.

May 10, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #9 of 31

Quote:

No apologies necessary at all.  It would have been quite the revelation if Beyerdynamic was currently offering their non-aviation genuine leathers á la carte instead of making them exclusive to Manufaktur headphone orders.  I don't own any Beyers at the moment, but would probably stock up just because. :)

As an aside, are there any production pads made for other headphones that also properly fit the M50?  If the SQ is affected by your mod as you state it to be, further pad rolling could provide some interesting results.

As far as I know, only the stock M50 pleathers fit perfectly.  I also do agree that different pads will lead to different signatures.

May 14, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #12 of 31
I like your mod, but am pretty scared by the fact that it will double the bass. Just wondering how come you didn't attach a velour cushion instead. Is there a huge problem with hot ears with your mod?

May 14, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #13 of 31

Quote:
I like your mod, but am pretty scared by the fact that it will double the bass. Just wondering how come you didn't attach a velour cushion instead. Is there a huge problem with hot ears with your mod?

I actually did try the mod with the velours on top of the stock M50 pads.  I personally didn't like the sound - it sounded brighter with a thinned-out midrange and the bass decreased dramatically.  However, this is my preference and I preferred the double pleather because it sounds awesome to me.  I also didn't notice an increase in temperature with mod either, it feels the same with single or double pads.

May 17, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #14 of 31
@GN3RAL KARL: with the double ear pads, is there more or less isolation from outside noise?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back