ATH-M50 Amp Suggestions
Apr 9, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #16 of 23
yeah but how much does the D2 cost?  I can see buying an E5 for the M50 but spend any more, rather be spending upgrading the headphone.  Price return ratio is not great.

The D2 is my portable source, and a fairly good one at that. An E5 is a $20 amp, about a cheap as you can get for an amp. I was just trying to point out that a cheapo amp on an already pretty decent source still makes a difference for my M50, hence my conclusion that amping it is beneficial.

Apr 9, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #18 of 23
Aaaaaaaaaah didn't know there was another D2, I can see how that was unclear. My bad.

I need to pay more attention to amps the next time I attend a head-fi meet. I've only been to one, and I was so blown away by being surrounded by thousands of dollars of gear that I hardly listened to anything except some demo UE customs (which were awesome) and a pair of HD800's via my Cowon D2 and my E7 (not at ALL sufficient!!)

Apr 10, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #19 of 23
I'm using a PA2V with a LOD on my ATH-M50, barely noticeable but the main function of the PA2V is to bypass the crappy amp on the headphone jack of my Touch4G, my sony NWZ-S545 plays just fine straight with the M50.

Apr 10, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #20 of 23
Used M50 with D2+ (sold)and get a bit better sound stage

Also tried with Fiio Meier and several other brands. Now only use the M50 unamped with Classic and 3GS.
It's already great sound cans.

No need for amping.

Apr 10, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #21 of 23

Quote:
I'm using a PA2V with a LOD on my ATH-M50, barely noticeable but the main function of the PA2V is to bypass the crappy amp on the headphone jack of my Touch4G, my sony NWZ-S545 plays just fine straight with the M50.

I think I am going to go with a PA2V2. I'll be using the LOD of my Fuze. I figure this is an inexpensive way to see if I like the amped sound or not. I can always upgrade if need be, plus I have other phones that may benefit from it. I appreciate all of the responses so far.

Apr 11, 2011 at 4:53 AM Post #22 of 23
wise choice. Just save up and spend the cash on a new pair o' cans or an actual full sized amp. I've heard the e7 and although it is nice I'm glad I saved the extra 40 bucks to go to my home rig which I constantly use. If you spend a hundred or so on a portable amp you should be spending even more on your home one. That being said, it varies on which one you listen to more. the pa2v2 is a steal for the deal and although the difference may not be noticable at first, my ipod or laptop directly connected to my cans sound a lot more hallow then when paired with the pa2v2. Gary is the nicest guy you could do business with as well. Rechargable, groovy looking, adds significant bass to my grado's, and has been well worth the cash. Go for it man. If your not satisfied within a week just resell it for a few bucks cheaper and call it an experience. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back