ATH M-50. Good match for me?
May 4, 2012 at 11:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

RobustOrange

100+ Head-Fier
I've recently sold my V-moda crossfade LP. Got tired of them. I have a little more money now so I'd like to get a new pair of cans, a bit new to the hobby. My collection is small. So, I was thinking the M-50s. But, I listen to both metal and heavy electronic music (Industrial, aggrotech), Would these be versatile enough to handle many genres?

May 5, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #2 of 12
Are there specific sonic characteristics you liked and disliked about the V-moda?

I have the M-50s, which I love for its portability, closed design (so I can play it loud in my cube at work),  and overall good sound. 
These are easy to drive and I often use them without an amp, but using an amp does (somewhat) tighten up the delivery.

But the thing is, I mostly use these for jazz/pop, the occasional string quartet, and such --  at work. 
I have a feeling your music choice may be more demanding. 

May 5, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #3 of 12
I liked the highs on the V moda. Though I felt they were too bass forward and didn't suit metal or detailed genres of music well. I prefer a more aggressive sound in my headphones, I don't look for a natural sound. So, if the M50 are not suitable, what would be?

May 5, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #5 of 12
Unfortunately, I've never had the chance to hear the V-moda cans.  Just to drill down a bit, would you say the problem is that
a.) there is too much bass or  b.) the bass is too loose -- not tight or distinct enough to hit the beat? 

You might want to look at the frequency response graph at headroom.  I always study these and compare to the
descriptions I read here.  See http://www.headphone.com/headphones/audio-technica-ath-m50.php#tabs
Also while you're there, read some of what they say about the sound.  Just to pick up another data point.

May 5, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #7 of 12
I owned the m50 and just didn't like the sound signature even though I'm a self proclaimed bass junkie. I would look at the dt770 instead.

May 5, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #8 of 12
Aren't the Beyer DT 770s considered to be bass monsters?  I've never heard the DT-770s,
but my Beyer DT-990/600s have more prominent bass compared to the m50s.  I had the impression
that, if I wanted even bigger bass I would move from the 990s to the 770s.  Could be wrong here as
I have no listening experience with the 770s.

Have you considered the Denon AH-D2000?  I realize it is up a bit in price... but what I've read about it makes it seem
like it has something to offer.  I've heard this one only once -- in non-ideal circumstances.  Given what you're
saying, it would be worth researching, if the price isn't too high.

May 5, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #9 of 12
Yes, there is more bass on the dt770 as it is closed as opposed to the open dt990. Good quality bass. The d2k is a nice step up IMO

May 5, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:
I owned the m50 and just didn't like the sound signature even though I'm a self proclaimed bass junkie. I would look at the dt770 instead.

There are apparently two different designs of the M50.  One has a "V" shaped EQ and the other a "v" shaped EQ.  The well regarded 770 a little bit of "v", but its mids are much more in balance when compared to the M50.

May 5, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:
You thought the DT990 600Ω had more bass than your M50s?

Right, in my experience the DT-990 bass is more prominent compared to the M50s.  The quality of the bass is also different,
probably due to the open design of the 990 compared to the closed design of the M50s. 

The sound of the open DT-990s, subjectively, expands
out into space and the bass correspondingly seems more expansive.  With the closed back M50s, the sound is more inside
your head and the bass is correspondingly more localized also.  I like my 990s very well, but I experience that spatial extension as looser,
more reverberant... not as compact as the M50s.

Very hard to describe these sonic differences and I'm not sure I'm doing a good job of it.  At work I always use my M50s because
it isolates well and doesn't bother my cube mates.  I can have it playing pretty loud, no problem.  But if I'm out and about and
isolation is not needed, then I often prefer the DT-990... that's also because they are more comfortable for me.  I always use an
amp with the Beyers and usually skip using one with the M50s.  However, as I remarked above, amplification does tighten up
the sound on the M50s just a smidge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back