Ath-l3000 impressions
Aug 17, 2005 at 9:06 AM Post #301 of 350
Definitive experience of the L3000 "defect".

After alot of test, different test, with CD test, music an normal listening I can declare that the L3000 has a defect and this is for that wire that touch the driver.

This defect is very hard to find, but not because is so sublte, but because you can have the impression of a normal vibrations that you generally listen in many CDs.

This defect do not is always present, just because that wire sometimes goes in another position, so even with the highets volume and lowest frequencies, sometime do not is there.

I'll send back my L3000 to AT (EIFL) to be repaired as soon as possible, and I hope Koji will help me to do this without any problem.

Best!
Nicola

Aug 17, 2005 at 10:19 AM Post #302 of 350
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ
I don't quite agree. I've noticed that saint.panda felt offended (for seeing his legitimate question displayed as ridiculous), and I would have been too in his situation.

peacesign.gif

Hi JaZZ,

no any offence for saint.panda, the HD650 is still in my setup and the only one headpohnes I bought for the second time. "Ridicolous" was referred for a comparison between a 2000$ against a 400$ cans! But if I think to the comparison between the Qualia/HD650 I prefer the HD650/EarMax and the Qualia is even more expensive than the L3000 !

The Qualia and the L3000 are two totally dfferent directions, as the dynamic and electrostatics cans. The DT880 goes in the Qualia direction (details and bright), the HD650 goes in the L3000 direction full sound, body and musicality. This is the reason why I moved back to the HD650 (repect to the DT880) after to have listened the marvelous sound of the L3000.

Best!
Nicola

Aug 17, 2005 at 10:49 AM Post #303 of 350
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
no any offence for saint.panda...

Never mind, Nicola -- gpalmer has already helped me putting things in perspective.

peacesign.gif

Aug 17, 2005 at 12:32 PM Post #304 of 350
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
The DT880 goes in the Qualia direction (details and bright), the HD650 goes in the L3000 direction full sound, body and musicality. This is the reason why I moved back to the HD650 (repect to the DT880) after to have listened the marvelous sound of the L3000.

Best!
Nicola

I've not heard the Qualia, but I've had the HD650, as you know, and this thing that the DT880 goes in a "bright" and detailed direction while the HD650 goes in a "musicality" direction... I can't understand this.

De gustibus... (very changing sometimes...
tongue.gif
)

bye
Andrea

Aug 17, 2005 at 12:40 PM Post #305 of 350
Quote:

Originally Posted by amartignano
I've not heard the Qualia, but I've had the HD650, as you know, and this thing that the DT880 goes in a "bright" and detailed direction while the HD650 goes in a "musicality" direction... I can't understand this.

De gustibus... (very changing sometimes...
tongue.gif
)

bye
Andrea

No, Andrea, that the DT880 is a more bright sound presentation respect to the HD650, I think, all here are agree... come here, I have both the cans, test them and I'm sure you will arrive to the same thing.

Qualia and L3000 are EXAMPLE just to explain what I'm trying to tell...

Best!
Nicola

Aug 17, 2005 at 12:46 PM Post #306 of 350
Yes, more bright, ok, I agree with this. (even if I think it's more correct...)

It's the more "musicality" of the HD650 that is not really what I've heard... but it's truly a matter of taste.
tongue.gif

But for what I've heard from you, about the Qualia, I think that the DT880 is really more towards the HD650 than towards the Qualia.

I (we?!?) 've chosen the DT880 because they offer to me the same "complete" sound of the HD650, with a more warm and rounded timbre (I'm not talking about the balance, but about the timbre of the instruments), while reaching a more open and airy sound.

However, not really important

bye
Andrea

Aug 17, 2005 at 4:32 PM Post #307 of 350
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
I never had do any offence here to anyone, please Guru do the same with me and with others headfiers

Nik,

Your posts tend to come off as arrogant and dismissive. It is not possible for me to read between the lines every single time. Maybe if I have doubts - I should ask you via PM.

Your enthusiasm is infective - see...I loved the Qualia and I disagree now with your opinion of them. I dont think you worked to build a setup around them based on technical factors.

Anyway...I like the L3000s also - I just love how FLAT and RELAXED they are...no fatigue after a long listening session.

BUT - the defect is causing me concerns and I dont want to buy one now.

gs

Aug 17, 2005 at 5:29 PM Post #308 of 350
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Nik,

Your posts tend to come off as arrogant and dismissive. It is not possible for me to read between the lines every single time. Maybe if I have doubts - I should ask you via PM.

Your enthusiasm is infective - see...I loved the Qualia and I disagree now with your opinion of them. I dont think you worked to build a setup around them based on technical factors.

Anyway...I like the L3000s also - I just love how FLAT and RELAXED they are...no fatigue after a long listening session.

BUT - the defect is causing me concerns and I dont want to buy one now.

gs

About my experience with the Qualia I told a lot, and I have explained that is a great cans but I had problem with their use (fit and size not for my head). And I believe that for those who can wear them properly they is the best, I do not have any doubt. But the Qualia (unfortunately) is not the best FOR ME and FOR MY HEAD. After 10 mounts I can be sure of this... So I sold them to another headfier that probably will use them better than me...

The different kind of sound I have discovered in the L3000 (I never loved any ATH) is a BIG surprise for me. I was also not so convinced to buy the L3000 because my not good impressions of any closed cans, but that highest quality sound of the L3000 was envolving my soul more than any other headphones, (even electrostatics).

Unfortunatley this marvelous L3000 has that defect that I hope AT will fix and I'll return to this incredible musical instrument ASAP. No any problem I had for wearing this cans, the EarMax goes very, very well with them... but, even if I cannot believe yet, I need to shipp back the cans to be repaired. I'll pay for another shipment after a wait of 30 days for them and have paid a big tax in the italian custom... this is not the best thing for me. So, if you understand my situation probably you will not have wrote some things about my headphones list just now...

About my changement of cans I remember to you that for all those cans I had differents amps. The EarMax AE is another BIG surprise for me and the DT880 and the second pair of HD650 are drived NOW for the first time with this little amp that do very BIG things IMHO !!!

Best!
Nicola

Aug 17, 2005 at 5:38 PM Post #309 of 350
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
little amp that do very BIG things IMHO !!!

I also agree that the tiny tot tube amps like the Moretto, Radii, Earmax are fantastic. I was listening to the RS-1 out of the Earmax Pro (hirsch's) and I was very impressed with the sound.

The Earmax is fuzzy little amp...

To think that there are some tube amps so large that you can fit 100 Earmax's into them
smily_headphones1.gif

I hope you sort out the L3000 repairs to satisfaction. Will you have to pay customs duty for repairs? I dont think so. If you have the original slip during initial entry - you can show this along with a letter explaining the circumstances, repair etc. Maybe Customs will let you off...I dont know.

I would advice you to have the L3000 repaired and then shipped to a HeadFier in Japan (ayt999? zchan?) who can test it for you there. If it checks out OK then they can send it back to you...otherwise back to AT for further repairs.

Just a suggestion.

gs

Aug 17, 2005 at 5:48 PM Post #310 of 350
Quote:

I also agree that the tiny tot tube amps like the Moretto, Radii, Earmax are fantastic. I was listening to the RS-1 out of the Earmax Pro (hirsch's) and I was very impressed with the sound.

The Earmax is fuzzy little amp...

To think that there are some tube amps so large that you can fit 100 Earmax's into them
smily_headphones1.gif

I hope you sort out the L3000 repairs to satisfaction. Will you have to pay customs duty for repairs? I dont think so. If you have the original slip during initial entry - you can show this along with a letter explaining the circumstances, repair etc. Maybe Customs will let you off...I dont know.

I would advice you to have the L3000 repaired and then shipped to a HeadFier in Japan (ayt999? zchan?) who can test it for you there. If it checks out OK then they can send it back to you...otherwise back to AT for further repairs.

Just a suggestion.

gs

Guru,

thanks a lot for your words ! By heart...

As I read here, the AE version of EarMax is even a lot better tha the pro... and with my tubes are simply amazing with all the cans I have tested with it: DT880, HD650, RS1 and L3000.

I hope AT will fix the defect on my L3000 that is not so simple to find, but is a real defect, and probably is that wire...

I find in the L3000 a new kind of "soundstage" that is the biggest i heard, but in a different way respect to the Qualia or to the Omega and respect all the cans do in this aspect. As I said I like a lot this BIG sound near to the listener that is INSIDE of the notes more than that distance fron the musicians I find in many headphones, I think this L3000 way is more envolving... for me IS !

Best!
Nicola

Aug 17, 2005 at 8:08 PM Post #311 of 350
Quote:

guess you haven't checked out my profile lately.
tongue.gif

anyways, I don't see why EIFL cannot check the L3000 after repairs for Nik.

Aug 17, 2005 at 11:33 PM Post #312 of 350
Nik, one suggestion, to make happy one the most educated posters of headfi, why not getting the SA5000 instead and selling that crappy L3000 you have???

Man stop worrying about what others think of your posts, just ignore them, and be happy. Your enjoyment is what should really count to you. While others enjoy to piss others members, and denigrate them with their posts, you just enjoy music and your setup (and unfortunatelly for them, in your particular case, the setup is not the one at fault...)
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Aug 18, 2005 at 8:03 AM Post #314 of 350
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Hi Nik, I was wondering if you by any chance tried the l3000's with the Rudistor Rp010 amp that you used with the qualia's?

How did it perform?

I think that the L3000 is not so dependent by any amp, I have the impresison that even from a headphones out of a CD player this cans sound good or very good. They have a strong personality...

With the EarMax AE, I think they sing extraordinary well, I think the L3000 loves tubes... and I love the L3000 even for this!

Best!
Nicola

Sep 13, 2005 at 7:54 AM Post #315 of 350
^^ just got my L3000 few days ago
biggrin.gif
first impression ... best sound compared with my other cans. Well now time to upgrade the amp ... my poor wallet
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back