ATH-HA5000 & ATH-W5000
May 17, 2006 at 7:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

jjcha

Headphoneus Supremus
Dang. I was visiting Yodobashi Camera today and spent some time with this combo. They had it sourced by a relatively lower-end Denon SACD player.

Man it sounded absolutely fantastic. I was stunned. I'm sure the recording and source had a large part to play with it. But most noticably there was a beautifully open and wide soundstage and air. I knew that audio-technica were capable of a great sense of space from my time with my L3000 and even earlier woodies, but I was astonished. So is this the mythical ATH amp+woody synergy? Cuz I like.

Hmm. Saw a used HA2002 for sale...

Best,

-Jason

May 17, 2006 at 8:18 AM Post #3 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Saw a used HA2002 for sale...

Do you think it will make W2002 sound magical?
biggrin.gif

May 17, 2006 at 8:25 AM Post #4 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
biggrin.gif

I was kinda hoping it'd make the W10VTG I got today sound magical.
biggrin.gif

(but they already sound pretty good out of the old laptop
biggrin.gif
)

Best,

-Jason

May 17, 2006 at 8:26 AM Post #5 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
biggrin.gif

that amp, i've read somewhere, was meant to amp low impedence phones. they should sing ... but don't take my word for it. damn i remember some member had a pic of both of them in the same picture ... hope they chime in. damn i'm jealous ><

May 17, 2006 at 8:27 AM Post #6 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by skylinedo
that amp, i've read somewhere, was meant to amp low impedence phones. they should sing ... but don't take my word for it. damn i remember some member had a pic of both of them in the same picture ... hope they chime in. damn i'm jealous ><

Yeah, there are a few people here with HA2002/W2002 combos. It does make me wonder how good the W2002 could sound with it, because mine sounded like crap out of just about everything I threw it at.

Matey, you gotta tell us about your avatar.
biggrin.gif

Best,

-Jason

May 17, 2006 at 8:53 AM Post #7 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Yeah, there are a few people here with HA2002/W2002 combos. It does make me wonder how good the W2002 could sound with it, because mine sounded like crap out of just about everything I threw it at.

Matey, you gotta tell us about your avatar.
biggrin.gif

Best,

-Jason

my avatar, that's Miki Taoka (田岡美樹) of the Indigo. www.the-indigo.com
i looove their music. they were at Otakon last year. i dropped my friend off at the airport (to go to otakon) then came home and found out they were going to be there, i wanted to cry.
frown.gif

they offer previews of their music in the Discography section, if you like any of the songs I might have it so just pm me.

May 17, 2006 at 1:59 PM Post #8 of 40
The W5000 is somehow more "opened up" paired with the HA5000 compared to other amps, and tonality, soundstage and air is very good. It doesn't quite have the same amount of air as the AD2000, but it is very good nevertheless. It is more similar to the AD2000 than the W2002 or L3000. Compared to the AD2000, using the HA5000, the W5000 has a warmer, smoother and fuller sound that's extremely pleasant with female vocals, jazz vocals and R&B.

The W2002 sounds very good to me paired with the AT-HA5000, although I've never heard it with the AT-HA2002.

The HA5000 seems very similar to the HA2002, in specs as well as appearance and features. I believe it has slightly higher power than the HA2002.

Anyone want W5000 and HA5000 photos?
tongue.gif

May 17, 2006 at 3:08 PM Post #9 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas
Anyone want W5000 and HA5000 photos?
tongue.gif

That might not be a good idea. My poor wallet...

Is it so that HA5000 is only available with as 115V version?

May 17, 2006 at 3:23 PM Post #10 of 40
Speaking of HA2002, a while ago Purk took some pics of the inside. Don't know why he never posted them but I've uploaded them (hope he doesn't have a problem with that
evil_smiley.gif
). Thought it might spark some interest in the HA2002/HA5000. Looks like some seriously nice build quality in there, nichicon muse and fine gold caps, heavy duty heat sinks, copper sheilding rails, big transformer, etc. The Alps blue velvet pot could stand an upgrade though. I imagine the HA5000 would have a very similar build.

Sometime I sorta miss my ha2002. At least I still have a w2002 to look at...

http://photo.head-fi.org/showgallery.php?cat=765

IMG_0852_Small.jpg

May 17, 2006 at 3:42 PM Post #11 of 40
Have you notice how many threads recently about the W5000?
There was a lot of interest at the beginning, let's say January-February, then practically nothing for three months and now everybody seems to be interested, maybe because of the couple of them showed at the nat meet (including mine).
Is it a sort of delayed FOTM?

May 17, 2006 at 3:53 PM Post #12 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic
Have you notice how many threads recently about the W5000?
There was a lot of interest at the beginning, let's say January-February, then practically nothing for three months and now everybody seems to be interested, maybe because of the couple of them showed at the nat meet (including mine).
Is it a sort of delayed FOTM?

They're expensive and hard to get. It's taking a while to get to the critical mass of first owners/impressions/hype to start the bandwagon rolling. Plus, the majority of head-fiers are pretty timid and won't try something new until they feel adequately reassured.

May 17, 2006 at 5:21 PM Post #15 of 40
Not so sure about FOTM kind of hype, but I do like the attention the cans are getting lately.

I am in the process of upgrading my PPX3 SLAM with a 120 Watt toroidal transformer and a few other goodies. If all fails, I will be looking at a new amp alltogether, so please keep the suggestions coming. I do like what I heard about the Portal Panache integrated amp and the way the headphone section (or lack of) is implemented. I wish high end integrateds such as Lavardin or my beloved Sugden Audio would copy that idea into their own designs. Lately, I am becoming a bit frutrated with dedicated headamps, but that's a whole different story...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back