ATH-HA5000 & ATH-W5000
Sep 15, 2006 at 8:16 PM Post #31 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas
You can use a 220V to 100V stepdown transformer. Also some power regenerators and conditioners can be set to 100V output.

Thanks for the reply and the pic. Would this solution be sonically ideal? Or would that stepdown transformer noticeably reduce the quality? Are that kind of transformers expensive?

And most importantly, would it be worth the hassle to go from MPX3 SLAM to a stepdown transformer fitted HA5000?

Thank you for your comments. I'm seriously considering this step.

Sep 16, 2006 at 5:57 AM Post #32 of 40
Youll have to get the step down transformer from japan. There's quiet a few brands making them in japan, but they're impossible to buy locally outside of japan. Prices range from 50$ to 200$. A low wattage transformer is enough, the HA5000 only uses 30W. I bought a Koden TA-150 for my HA5000, a cheaper one will do for sure too. Already got my HA5000 2 days ago, im still waiting for the transformer to arrive
wink.gif

Sep 16, 2006 at 7:50 AM Post #33 of 40
Heres one like I use:

http://www.buytravelconverter.com/se...oryid~550.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizkid
Youll have to get the step down transformer from japan. There's quiet a few brands making them in japan, but they're impossible to buy locally outside of japan. Prices range from 50$ to 200$. A low wattage transformer is enough, the HA5000 only uses 30W. I bought a Koden TA-150 for my HA5000, a cheaper one will do for sure too. Already got my HA5000 2 days ago, im still waiting for the transformer to arrive
wink.gif

Oct 10, 2006 at 8:22 PM Post #35 of 40
Ok ill bring up this older thread because there is just no other thread on the HA5000
biggrin.gif
Overall i can completely agree with jjcha's opinion, the HA5000 adds incredibly wide soundstage and air to both the W5000 and AD2000, if the recordings allows it
smily_headphones1.gif

The mosfets add a little smoothness compared to other amps, but this is subtle. Main difference is mostly the soundstage.
I think the difference by having the W5000 amped by some other amp vs the HA5000 is like comparing the soundstage of a 200-300$ speaker to one of a 2000$ speaker.

Btw there is even a matching RCA cable (AT-RA5000) by AT:

http://www.audio-technica.co.jp/prod...at-ra5000.html

ra5000.jpg

Its a little pricey at 27000yen street... but what the hell, im getting one!
Ill definately retire to this combo so why not go for the full system
wink.gif

Aug 13, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #38 of 40
I'd like to resurrect this old thread in lieu of creating a new one, as I'd like to add my day 1 impressions to the list, and I also have some questions for owners of this particular setup.

First of all I'd like to say that I'm running the AT-HA5000 off a step-down transformer, and that might have a lot to do with me being unimpressed.
It's not a bad one at all, but it's your run-of-the-mill converter, purchased from Amazon.
I also had to get a separate Japanese cable, as the one that came with the amp was not included anymore. This is also a standard cable.
I'm using a Meier-Audio Symphony as a DAC/Preamp to go into the AT-HA5000, which could be a detrimental thing to use (I'm not sure how though).

I thought that getting the HA5000 with the W5000 was an absolute necessity, as I've read many things about how it's one of the best combinations out there.
For the last 2 weeks or so I've been using the W5000 with my Meier-Audio Corda Symphony, and the result has been very good.
The setup offers a more than adequate reproduction of all of my favourite recordings, and I firmly believe that the W5k has become my favourite heapdhone out of all of the ones I ever got to try for longer periods of time.
My mind was absolutely blown when listening to Buena Vista Social Club.

When switching to the HA5000, something just doesn't feel right.
The whole Soundstage seems to be much more condensed than with the Symphony as an amp, and it feels like some of the detail is being swallowed up.
It's hard to explain, but I can't seem to hear what most other people described in this thread. Female voices do sound fantastic, but they also sound fantastic with the Meier, and I'd say almost everything sounds inferior.

I also wanted to ask, is it normal for the amp to start hissing when turning the volume all the way up?
The hiss decreases when the Meier is disconnected from the HA5000.

The same doesn't happen when I use the headphones in the Meier-Amp and turn its volume all the way up.

Might I find better results with a separate DAC and perhaps something of an audiophile converter from the likes of airlink?
Do I have to watch out which of the inputs I use? AC vs DC?
Do I have to leave the preamps or the main amps volume at a certain level, as both of them unfortunately change the volume?

I'd really appreciate any input.

Aug 14, 2016 at 6:02 AM Post #39 of 40
After having scoured the internet and having had many correspondences with various people I need the help of the fine people of head-fi.

Firstly I realised that my source is injecting a massive buzz into my headphone amp and headphones, so therein lies one of the main issues.
I got in touch with Jan Meier, but since his DAC/AMP is glorious in itself, it's probably time for a new seperate DAC. (I did need an excuse.)

What I need help with is the following:

When nothing is connected to the HA-5000 except for the power cable and the W5000 headphones, and I turn the volume up all the way, I can hear a slight hiss. It's barely noticeable, but it is there.
Is this normal? Am I worrying about nothing here?
Can anyone else confirm that this is just due to the high sensitivity of the W5000 headphones?

Thanks a lot!

EDIT:

I am stupid, here is what happened.
I got in touch with Jan Meier, and he was kind enough to help a fool with his nonsensical problems.
First of all I needed to crank up the volume loads more on the preamp.
Also, the buzzing has now stopped even since I plugged the amp into the wall socket directly (via the step down converter). Something must've been wrong with the extension lead I used.

In addition, the very slight barely audible hissing when no source is connected to the HA5000 and when cranking up the volume to max is due to the heapdhones picking up the noise floor, or so I was told.

The whole setup sounds miles better already, the HA5000 is AT LEAST comparable to the Symphony now.
I still firmly believe that the Meier is an incredible match for the W5k though.

TL;DR - My whole initial experience was ruined by technical difficulties. Time to go back to enjoying music.

Mar 21, 2017 at 6:30 AM Post #40 of 40
  After having scoured the internet and having had many correspondences with various people I need the help of the fine people of head-fi.

Firstly I realised that my source is injecting a massive buzz into my headphone amp and headphones, so therein lies one of the main issues.
I got in touch with Jan Meier, but since his DAC/AMP is glorious in itself, it's probably time for a new seperate DAC. (I did need an excuse.)

What I need help with is the following:

When nothing is connected to the HA-5000 except for the power cable and the W5000 headphones, and I turn the volume up all the way, I can hear a slight hiss. It's barely noticeable, but it is there.
Is this normal? Am I worrying about nothing here?
Can anyone else confirm that this is just due to the high sensitivity of the W5000 headphones?

Thanks a lot!

EDIT:

I am stupid, here is what happened.
I got in touch with Jan Meier, and he was kind enough to help a fool with his nonsensical problems.
First of all I needed to crank up the volume loads more on the preamp.
Also, the buzzing has now stopped even since I plugged the amp into the wall socket directly (via the step down converter). Something must've been wrong with the extension lead I used.

In addition, the very slight barely audible hissing when no source is connected to the HA5000 and when cranking up the volume to max is due to the heapdhones picking up the noise floor, or so I was told.

The whole setup sounds miles better already, the HA5000 is AT LEAST comparable to the Symphony now.
I still firmly believe that the Meier is an incredible match for the W5k though.

TL;DR - My whole initial experience was ruined by technical difficulties. Time to go back to enjoying music.

Just what I've been looking for! :) I am interested in picking up a ATH Ha-5000 amp to pair with a Meier Corda Daccord or Chord Cordette DAC. What you described between switching amps sounds about right imo I had a burson conductor with es 9018. Switched to a CHord 2Qute using the same Burson soloist amp. CHord DAC won by a mile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back