ATH-ESW10JPN vs JH13 Pro (My Review)
Mar 21, 2010 at 5:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

thread

Headphoneus Supremus

Someone on the forum asked me to compare the ESW10JPN to the JH13, so I decided to just share my thoughts with a wider audience.

The ESW10JPN, with its rich, wood cups, is a beautiful headphone. It is very light and has a grip on the head that is just right. The supraaural design does fatigue the ears eventually, but it takes a lot longer than I thought it would before I purchased. This is in part due to swivel of the cups and how I can position them to put the pressure on different parts of the ears and head throughout a session. I also like how they are easy to put on and off, and are comfortable to wear around the neck.

When I first tried the pair of my friend's, I was very struck with the "energy" in the mids and highs. It is a very detailed headphone with a presentation that is very pleasing for many genres. There is great, well-textured bass, but it is not the centerpiece of this sound signature. Acoustic instruments -- like the shimmer of strings -- sound very vivid and enjoyable. The isolation isn't great, so I wouldn't want to use them some place noisy. I'm glad I got a pair of these limited edition headphones before the 1500 were gobbled up. I still really enjoy them.

The JH13, by contrast, is an IEM. They have great isolation. (Though, interestingly, it's not quite as good as foam tips on universal fit IEMs.) They have a perfectly formed, custom fit for your ear canals, so their uniform pressure throughout your ear easily lets them "disappear". Compared to the ease of taking the ESW10JPN on and off, a custom IEM like the JH13 is a bit more work. Once you get the hang of it, inserting and removing the JH13 is pretty fast and easy, though (only a couple seconds) but it is a bit more abrasive. And I always wipe earwax and debris from the tips before inserting. With the right fit (JHA has a great track record) and well-adjusted ears (only a few days to a week or so for new wearers) I think the JH13's are incredibly comfortable. I can wear them for many hours without issue.

The sound is simply incredible. The JH13 is still the best headphone I have and at least among the best I've ever heard. It must be those 6 custom spec drivers working side-by-side that give me such a detailed, immersive view into the recording with soundstage that is simply astonishing for an IEM. Historically, it seems that a full-size headphone is needed for this type soundstage, but the detail of the JH13 seems to compensate for their "shortcoming" that they bypass the outer ear and send the sound directly into your eardrums. The first thing a new JH13 owner seems to notice is how HUGE the sound seems to be. The JH13 has some of the best extension on the top and bottom ends of any headphone. The sound signature sides on ruthlessly neutral, but with a bit of a bump in the sub-bass for low end impact that I really enjoy. The bass is massive and detailed, but it never oversteps its bounds like it does when I switch to the UE11.

When I compare the sound of the two head-to-head, there is simply no doubt that the JH13 is the clear winner. Not only does this IEM have a very neutral response curve that doesn't really favor any genre over another, but it maintains a euphonic sound with anything I throw at it! The isolation assures that you're starting with a quiet background, and the music is just so clear and beautiful. At the end of the day, I'm apt to say that while the ESW10JPN excels at its strong points and can be a very enjoyable can for many things (particularly jazz and acoustic music) the JH13 just seems to perform perfectly in so many ways.

Both headphones sound great right from an MP3 player's headphone output, but they also improve with a good amp. The JH13 scales extremely well with better equipment as it seems to sap up and really deliver on exactly what it is fed.

I love my ESW10 very much... I just love my JH13 more.
smily_headphones1.gif

I also posted this on my blog:

ATH-ESW10JPN vs JH13 Pro | Threadbox.net

Mar 21, 2010 at 5:29 AM Post #2 of 22
Very nice review. You make me want to sell off my DT880 Manufaktur, ALO-780 and UM3X to buy these JH 13's...
tongue.gif

Mar 21, 2010 at 5:32 AM Post #3 of 22
I have both balanced and use them out of the Protector. They sound different enough to make both of them very enjoyable. Nice review.

Mar 21, 2010 at 11:21 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I love my ESW10 very much... I just love my JH13 more.
smily_headphones1.gif

That reminded me of a quote from Lord Byron 'I love not man the less but nature more'.

Thanks for sharing the review.

Mar 22, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #10 of 22
Thanks for the review thread! Really appreciate it =)

jamato8 you were saying they sound different enough to justify keeping'em both, how would you describe the difference? =)

Apr 19, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #11 of 22
Nice review...I am seriously thinking about selling my ESW10JPN's after auditioning the JH13 pro...

Apr 19, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #13 of 22
Thread, I noticed that you have the ED8 in your signature. Can you comment a word or two ED8 vs JH13? Thanks.

Apr 19, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #15 of 22
^They have demo universal units that you can go in and listen to. They sound pretty much identical to the final product (minus the tweaking +custom benefits) so you get an idea of what you're buying. They are really big and I THINK I have a picture on my computer... let me check
smily_headphones1.gif

Sadly you can't buy them lol.

EDIT: I looked but I don't think I have it on this computer
frown.gif
I'll check when I get home though
smily_headphones1.gif

If you want a mental picture, just think of the regular JH customs funneled into a universal tip. It kind of resembles a top or something. I thought it was neat
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back