ATH-AD900 vs ATH-AD700 vs something else
May 5, 2012 at 1:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

katabatik

New Head-Fier
I'm currently using Yuin G2A with my laptop and even though I like the sound, I hate the fact that they are clip-ons, discomfortable and to be honest, I feel that they don't exactly fulfill my expectations. So, I've decided to get something else. It's been weeks now since I started to read reviews and opinions, trying to figure out what headphones would suit me. It's impressive how you can read hundreds of opinons/reviews and still no be able to make up your mind.

I won't be  able to audition the heaphones before I buy them, so I'll have to trust what most people say about them. The ATH-AD700 seemed like a good choice but I really hate those colours (who on earth came up with that?). So, the AD900 seem like the way to go, since they are much more sober and the general consensus is that they sound better. However £94 vs £210 is a huge price difference. One of the things I find appealing on both ADs is that everyone says they have great soundstage. I listen to a lot of piano, acoustic guitar, smooth jazz and also listen to opera and classical often. I'll also use them for movies and occasionaly, games. I'm looking for something with that "wow!" factor (I know this extremely subjective) something that makes me feel like the instruments are playing around me with a clear yet warm sound. In other words: something that sounds clearly better than my Yuins and gives me a more envolving experience. I don't own an amp but I don't mind buying one as long as it's truly portable and under £50. 80% of my music is FLAC and the rest in 320 kbps MP3.

So, should I buy the AD900? Or should I buy the AD700 and try to live with the colour scheme given the price difference? Or should I just buy somehing else that suits my needs/taste? Thanks.

May 6, 2012 at 2:59 AM Post #2 of 7
The ATH-AD700 is too bass light to be able to enjoy any audio that uses bass as part of it's over all sound.
What is the price of the ATH-A900X going for in your local area or having it shipped to you.

May 9, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #5 of 7
It might help if you list your country in your public profile, somewhere in Europe?
The AKG K240s have a nice mid range.
Superlux HD668B and Samson SR850 (made by Superlux) are low cost Taiwan knock offs of the AKG K240.
I prefer using them over the ATH-AD700s.
The Fiio E10 USB, DAC, Headphone amplifier can easily power the headphones I've listed.

May 9, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
It might help if you list your country in your public profile, somewhere in Europe?
The AKG K240s have a nice mid range.
Superlux HD668B and Samson SR850 (made by Superlux) are low cost Taiwan knock offs of the AKG K240.
I prefer using them over the ATH-AD700s.
The Fiio E10 USB, DAC, Headphone amplifier can easily power the headphones I've listed.

The AKG K240 or K242HD (no leather pads and no replacable cable) are slightly analytical but can really impress for the money they retail for nowdays if you know where to look.

To put things in perspective when I pair the K242hd with my Asus STX and the AD797 opamp it outperforms my Denon D2000, and thats saying something, because I love them alot. 

They do require a LOT (nowhere near hifiman HE5 levels) of power, so a decent amp is a good idea.

But be warned the construction is meh at best, so not a good idea to port them around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back