ATH-AD700...why or why not?
Aug 5, 2007 at 5:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

nylan8301

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm trying to figure out what 'phone to ask for during the holiday season.

Most likely the budget is somewhere around $100-150 shipped. Preferably not used (inlaws will most likely be purchasing these). Preferably not a grado labs product.

I'm looking for something with a wider soundstage than my SR-60 and perhaps a little more laid back. I specifically want a can for classical and jazz. I'm not really into heavy bass.

I really don't care whether they are open or closed. No IEM, please.

I've used the search function here trying to find something, and I came across the ATH-AD700. It seems to fit the budget quite nicely and seem to have everything I'm looking for.

Yet, they seem to not be a very popular recommendation here right now. Were these kind of a "fun of the month"? Or, for my budget, are these around the best for an unamped can?

EDIT: Thanks to those that posted. It looks like, around the holidays, these will be (hopefully) in my possession.

Aug 5, 2007 at 5:33 AM Post #2 of 9
If the AD700 is anything like the A700 (which I used for over a year) in sound signature, they won't fit with what you want. More laid back than Grados? Ha! My A700s were significantly brighter than the SR 60s I auditioned. No heavy bass? Well the closed A700s definitely had it, but I think the open AD700 is a bit less bassy.

I'd go for the AKG K 240 S or Sennheiser HD 555.

Aug 5, 2007 at 5:35 AM Post #3 of 9
The AD700 is a great can that does not need an amp. Its should be pretty good for classical, but that genre points at something like an AKG K501 which would be outstanding for classical. Though the K501 does need an amp.

Aug 5, 2007 at 9:40 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pibborando /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the AD700 is anything like the A700 (which I used for over a year) in sound signature, they won't fit with what you want.

AD700 is nothing like A700. I consider it to be a better all around phone than MS-1, and will recommend it to anyone who are looking for good soundstage. It is more laid back than MS-1, for sure.

I have a review on AD700 vs. MS-1. Link is in my signature.

Aug 5, 2007 at 9:48 AM Post #5 of 9
I never liked the audio technica

what i recommend is the beyers

basshead.gif

Aug 5, 2007 at 10:37 AM Post #6 of 9
ive owned the AD700 for about 18 months now and have found them to be very good for classical and jazz, however there are a few issues i have with them such as a really loose fit (though this makes them very comfortable, but bad to move with) and squeaking with movement. But overall since you've specifically asked for headphones that excel with classical/Jazz that dont necessarily have a lot of bass, i say that the AD700 are the to go.

Aug 5, 2007 at 11:51 PM Post #8 of 9
To ClieOS: I thoroughly read your post a while back, and found it to be extremely useful. Thank you. It has certainly helped in my decision.

To Squall343: Which beyers then? I've very unfamiliar with Beyerdynamic.

To SteathR6: Can I get a K501 for around 150? I can't really find anywhere that sells them, period.

To applecore: Glad to hear again about the comfort. We'll see about the loose fit. I have a somewhat large noggin.

To d-cee: I've noticed that you come up a lot while doing searches for the AD700. I know you repeat yourself a lot (since you've given more thorough explanations on other threads), but I guess I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't something else that, for the budget, would completely unseat the AD700. Thanks for the post.

Aug 6, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #9 of 9
the k501 are discontinued

i was lucky enough to grab a slightly used pair for a very good price
if you can find a place that sells the k501, go for it
they are very good for jazz and classical

although i got more of a thrill listening to the opening of 2001 space odyssey with my ms2i
got that really warm, brassy sound similar to when i watched DCI at stanford last night

Users who are viewing this thread

Back