ATH-AD700 Size?
Feb 2, 2008 at 1:30 PM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by odymmij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... Are they really that big? This would be my first real headphones so I really don't want to waste money on something that wouldn't fit me.

1) Yes, they are big. They are bigger than any other headphone I tried, incl. HD650, DT990, Denon D2000, MDR-F1...

2) They are very comfortable. They are one of the most comfortable cans. They are a bit loose though, so no head shaking is available.

3) They are VERY good for the price, I doubt that you'll regret. It is hard to get better for the first headphone. Though, if you like to dance with headphones on, stay away of them.

Feb 2, 2008 at 1:48 PM Post #18 of 30
Mine were slightly too loose out of the box but the headband design is flexible so you can bend them a bit to make the tighter. The "3D Wing" design also helps to hold them in place.

I don't think AD700s would be too big for anyone (I have quite a small head) but if you're concerned see if you can try before you buy.

Feb 2, 2008 at 5:08 PM Post #19 of 30
And very comfortable, but like underwear, you'll never know if they fit until you actually put them on. However, I think they're worth trying. When I had them I was impressed with their overall reticent-almost delicate sound that seems to be tailored to Japanese pop music or so I've heard. Why did I return them? I wanted to hear a cheap AT can that was indicative of the AT house sound. At the time I was toying with the idea of purchasing the AT AD2000, but since they're not returnable I wanted to try something cheaper and returnable first so I picked up the AD700s form Amazon at $110. At the same time I also bought Sony MDR-F1s and there was no contest. With the Sony's I felt like I was finally coming home so I picked up two F1s (just in case Sony discontinues them) and returned the AD700s. Since that time the AD700s have climbed to $160 at Amazon but I have no regrets sending them back.

Feb 2, 2008 at 5:08 PM Post #20 of 30
I got AD900. They are big but that doesnt matter as they are lighter than other headphones like the DT990. They cover the entirety of the ears (I cant see how its a bad thing. My head is quite big so they arent very loose to me, but I still couldnt start jumping and runing around, but that's not the purpose of that kind of headphones as far as I'm aware, if I wanted this I would get clip-ons or street-style phones.

As I said in another post, I need to mod them cause they arent too confortable to me (they happen to be confortable about 1 / 20 times as my ears touch the insides most of the time). I need to find the perfect fit all the time and this is harassing. I plan on doing the PHAT PAD mod (this: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/w10...23/index2.html). I'm confident whenever I get this done these should be super confy and unbelievably valuable foer theirt price.

Soundstage, detail and clarity on these (even unamped is amazing and destroys any headphone of the category)

I'll take a pic of the phones on me later today.

BTW the AD700s are now 150 at audiocubes, but cost around 105 on ebay. Audiocubes raised all their prices by a bunch... just to tell you know...
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 3, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #22 of 30
While I'm glad to see that the majority find these headphones fit just right, I totally can't agree. I have a pretty big head and these are so loose on me that if I move at all they start to fall off. Sound quality is very nice, but most of the responders must larger heads than mine if they find the ATF-AD 700's a perfect fit.

Feb 3, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you want more clamping force bend the headband. simple...

Yeah, well I'd be careful there as that head band is just plastic, so bending it too much could cause it to snap.

Feb 3, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by odymmij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been looking around and these seem like the best cans for the price. I've been reading about how they fall off people's head though... Are they really that big? This would be my first real headphones so I really don't want to waste money on something that wouldn't fit me.

Thanks.
odymmij

Yeah, to me they're really that big. Yes, you can comfortably wear them - they are very light weight, as long as you don't move too much. But the sound quality you get for the price is out of proportion to its cost - ie, very very good.

Feb 3, 2008 at 12:59 PM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's just not the size of your head but the shape

maybe some peoples heads aren't big enough in the right places?

You could be on to something here. Thanks for the tip. Still, these are definitely try-before-you-buy cans for sure.

Feb 3, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMCIII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could be on to something here. Thanks for the tip. Still, these are definitely try-before-you-buy cans for sure.

Yes, I have a pretty big head (I think so) but I have no issues with headphones known to have fit issues for many people like the K701 or the ATH AD series...

Feb 5, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by inasafeplace /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got AD900. They are big but that doesnt matter as they are lighter than other headphones like the DT990. They cover the entirety of the ears (I cant see how its a bad thing. My head is quite big so they arent very loose to me, but I still couldnt start jumping and runing around, but that's not the purpose of that kind of headphones as far as I'm aware, if I wanted this I would get clip-ons or street-style phones.

As I said in another post, I need to mod them cause they arent too confortable to me (they happen to be confortable about 1 / 20 times as my ears touch the insides most of the time). I need to find the perfect fit all the time and this is harassing. I plan on doing the PHAT PAD mod (this: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/w10...23/index2.html). I'm confident whenever I get this done these should be super confy and unbelievably valuable foer theirt price.

Soundstage, detail and clarity on these (even unamped is amazing and destroys any headphone of the category)

I'll take a pic of the phones on me later today.

BTW the AD700s are now 150 at audiocubes, but cost around 105 on ebay. Audiocubes raised all their prices by a bunch... just to tell you know...
smily_headphones1.gif

You may want to pick up some clear, flexible, plastic tubing (3/8" worked for me but bigger maybe better) and run it around the circumference of the underside of the pad layer. I did this on my AD700s (since returned) and it fixed the phone touching the ear problem.

Feb 10, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #29 of 30
the ad700's aren't tight, but i don't feel they will fall off when i turn or nod my head. my head is a tad small. i use four clicks on either side of the PX100, so my audiophile friend says my head is small. most ppl i kno have bigger heads than i, and we're not big guys. i'm a 5' 8" skinny asian dude. even shorter ppl have bigger heads than me. also bigger shoe and hand size

Feb 10, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They fall not because they are big, but because the clamping force is not very strong (and that is why AD700 is so comfortable). If your head is small, than the weak clamping force = fall off more often.

What he said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back