ATH-AD700 Size?
Jan 12, 2008 at 5:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

odymmij

Head-Fier
I've been looking around and these seem like the best cans for the price. I've been reading about how they fall off people's head though... Are they really that big? This would be my first real headphones so I really don't want to waste money on something that wouldn't fit me.

Thanks.
odymmij

Jan 12, 2008 at 5:47 AM Post #2 of 30
They fall not because they are big, but because the clamping force is not very strong (and that is why AD700 is so comfortable). If your head is small, than the weak clamping force = fall off more often.

Jan 12, 2008 at 6:07 AM Post #3 of 30
quite big, got the AD900 and size is the same. Depends on ur taste, try them before buying them maybe?

Jan 12, 2008 at 6:52 AM Post #4 of 30
They might come loose because of the light clamping force. You would really have to be rocking out to dislodge them completely. I tried up and down and they didn't move much. Side to side and they slipped a little. If I try any harder I'll get sick.

Jan 12, 2008 at 7:01 AM Post #5 of 30
has anyone got pics with these on their head or the AD900?

biggrin.gif

Jan 12, 2008 at 7:10 AM Post #6 of 30
Depends on your head-size.

I'm 5'10" with a somewhat standard build (Ectomorphic body type though), 7:1 Body:head height ratio, 3:1 shoulder:head width ratio.

Don't mind the pic, it was just something done up sometime back when I was fooling around in school where the students practically do a parody image on themselves.

Me-A900-2.jpg

The ATH-A and ATH-AD series are built practically identical when it comes to size IME, but due to the ATH-AD series' padding, they feel larger to me.

The image shows me with the ATH-A900, which I found to be just about OK. They're just a bit loose due to their light clamping force, but won't fall off my head as long as long as I'm not subjected to a violent vibratory external force sufficient enough to kill me and destroy my insides.

If your head's larger than or equal to mine, the ATH-AD should be able to fit without a problem. I don't exactly have what people would consider a large head BTW (which attributes me to being somewhat dumb I guess).

Jan 12, 2008 at 7:38 AM Post #7 of 30
Caliper time. The As are 5.4cm thick with a 10.8cm diameter. The ADs are 4.0cm thick with a 11cm diameter. For reference the HD650s are 4.6cm and the MS-1s are 2.7cm thick.

According to my very cheap plastic caliper the As are indeed chunky.

Jan 13, 2008 at 7:00 AM Post #12 of 30
Jan 13, 2008 at 9:43 AM Post #13 of 30
I have a fairly large cranium . . . I wear size 7 7/8 or 8 inch caps, to give you a perspective. The AD700 is very comfortable and doesn't move around much on my head.

If you're looking for a really strong clamping force, look at AD2000 if that's within your budget. I can't even wear glasses when I wear those cans.

Jan 22, 2008 at 10:50 AM Post #15 of 30
been listening to mine for 2 hours straight...sometimes i have them even when not listening to anything...can't even seem to notice them... the velour padding so soft...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back