ATH-AD2000 drivers in ATH-AD700
Aug 18, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #2 of 7
sure, if you want to take a perfectly good set of drivers and put them into ugly purple cups with more air restriction...

Aug 19, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #4 of 7
a simpler method would probably be to stuff the rear of the ad2k pads, forcing an angle in a similar fashion to the LCD-2s.  let us know how the sound is affected, I would be very curious (i sold my ad2ks years ago, unfortunately)

Aug 19, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
Would also repaint and remove the foam. :)

But how would the angled drivers change the sound?
the ad-2000 are flat.

If it is using the same drivers as A2000X, which I somewhat suspect, then you might get a small improvement.  A2kX's drivers are angled.
Otherwise, angling the drivers of a headphone that's not tuned to use angled drivers screws up the soundstage a bit.  Not sure how to elaborate on that.

Aug 21, 2012 at 5:50 AM Post #6 of 7
If it is using the same drivers as A2000X, which I somewhat suspect, then you might get a small improvement.  A2kX's drivers are angled.
Otherwise, angling the drivers of a headphone that's not tuned to use angled drivers screws up the soundstage a bit.  Not sure how to elaborate on that.

I think the A2000X has different drivers - they're separated by about a decade of development. But I cannot confirm this (or even speak to AT using more than one driver in their products).

I think angling the drivers would probably result in more trouble than improvements, except for the pad stuffing (which does work quite well with many headphones, like the Denon AH-D series, ESP/10, ESW9, etc); that would probably provide a similar experience.

Regarding putting leather pads on them - I would not suggest that. Switching from the Escaine/velour pads to leather pads is likely to do more damage than good to the sound. I'd stick with the Escaine pads from the AD2000 regardless of how you pursue the mod. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back