ATH-AD2000 bassy enough?
Mar 22, 2007 at 5:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

alexpea

100+ Head-Fier
I'm a basshead on the look for new phones in the pricerange 400-700 US Dollars. I love my AKG K 81 DJ's, I adore my A900's. But the A900's does not have the impact I'm looking for.

I've read TONS of stuff about the AD2000 now, and I'm soooo close to buying them. However, I've seen some comments about them not being strong enough in the low-frequenzies-area. I listen mostly to Trance/Pop/Rock and NEVER to Jazz, Ambient and New Age, as many others on these forums. Many describe the bass on the phones as "Extremly deep & sophisticated, giving the bass not only impact, but tonal audibility" This isn't helping me very much. I read the same thing about the DT880/05's and was VERY dissapointed with total lack of bass and impact when I decided to buy them. I returned them after three days. (Had to try to burn them in)

So, which one of these are best fitted for my use?
(I have the Little Dot II+ amp from an external M-Audio Soundcard)

Audio Technica AD2000
Audio Technica L3000
Audio Technica W5000
Sennheiser HD650 (Is the amp good enough?)
Beyerdynamic DT770/80
Ultrasone Proline 750

Keep in mind, however, I don't want JUST bass. Cuz then the obvious choice would be the DT770's. I want clarity and brightness as well. My criteria for good bass, is that it's better than the A900's. So if the AD2000 is rated better than those, then I will not hesitate - cuz I've read they are stunning on mids and highs.

Help appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif
I read a great review by Elephas btw, that dude has a serious collection of phones
blink.gif

Mar 22, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #3 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by ast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
don't thinkg W5000 and HD650 fit your bill. AD2000 is the one when I'm listening to Electronica. Besides bass, it also has excellent high (vs. 650) and large soundstage.

Ok, I'll stretch FAR up in price, but not over 1000, that's for sure. The criteria is that it's not very hard-driven, since I only have the Little Dot II+.. Or is that good enough for such expensive phones?

My main issue is this: I've read alot from people owning the AD2000, wanting more bass. They say the phones just doesn't provide such power and impact as others. Many refer to the HD650 or the W5000 when it comes to better bass. But, as I mentioned --> As long as the AD2000 is better thant the A900's in the low area, then I won't hesitate. If I ever want the REAL thing concerning bass, I will go for the DT770/80's for shure. But as I own the A900's at the moment, I feel that buying the DT770 won't bring me a step further in the headphone-adventure. I need more juice
biggrin.gif

Mar 22, 2007 at 6:37 PM Post #4 of 27
W5000/650's bass is tighter and more refined, but no more impact than AD2000. No experience with AD900 so can't say much there.

AD2000 can be had from pricejapan.com for less than 500USD. It is VERY easy to drive, my company issued laptop soundcard can drive it more than loud! Ideally you want to audition it first if you have the chance.

Mar 22, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #5 of 27
I can compare the bass of the AD2000's to the HD600/650's, and RS-1's, but no others.

The bass of the AD2000's is tight and well defined, and may extend as far as the others, but it does not have the physical impact of the HD650's (which you can literally feel). The bass and lower mids of the HD650's is more dominant and has great impact, relative to the entire frequency range. The bass and lower mids of the AD2000's has somewhat less impact than the HD650's, and is less dominant relative to the entire frequency range, yet the AD2000's still have pretty strong impact. The bass of the AD2000's is more like that of the HD600's relative to the entire frequency range.

I'd say the bass and lower mids of the RS-1's is somewhere between the HD650's and AD2000's.

I have no reservations about the bass of the AD2000's for jazz, R&B, Country, and Classical - and it may be fine for rock, but it is just a bit less visceral than the HD650's - though still great.

Mar 22, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can compare the bass of the AD2000's to the HD600/650's, and RS-1's, but no others.

The bass of the AD2000's is tight and well defined, and may extend as far as the others, but it does not have the physical impact of the HD650's (which you can literally feel). The bass and lower mids of the HD650's is more dominant and has great impact, relative to the entire frequency range. The bass and lower mids of the AD2000's has somewhat less impact than the HD650's, and is less dominant relative to the entire frequency range, yet the AD2000's still have pretty strong impact. The bass of the AD2000's is more like that of the HD600's relative to the entire frequency range.

I'd say the bass and lower mids of the RS-1's is somewhere between the HD650's and AD2000's.

I have no reservations about the bass of the AD2000's for jazz, R&B, Country, and Classical - and it may be fine for rock, but it is just a bit less visceral than the HD650's - though still great.

Definitely agree with comments listed above.

If you're asking for clarity all across the frequency spectrum, the AD2000 is far better than the HD600s I've tried and it's extremely likely also better than the HD650s. Particularly on vocals and most instrumental work, I think the AD2000 is unbeatable.

The bass in the AD2000, comparing bass sweeps and some organ music which has subtle but present lower bass (50 hz and below), the AD2000 can reproduce bass which is not heard but felt, though felt by your head. When I was comparing the K701s to them in this field, it wasn't much of a comparison. I'm not a basshead so impact isn't a huge issue for me as long as everything is there.

I've compared the AD2000 to a few other headphones--friend's HD650s, K701, and my own HD600. Put bluntly, the AD2000s have convinced me that betting against them in a comparison is, in general, a bad idea.

Mar 22, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #9 of 27
If you're after a solid bass heavy sound the AT2000s or the W5000s are not what you need. Although the bass response can extend quite deep they wont have the impact I think you're after. Both phones have what I could call a tuneful bass response where it is possible to clearly follow individual notes and lines but it wont rattle the fillings in your teeth.
The L3000 would possibly fit the bill but hard to get and outside your price.
The GS1000 Grado has good bass response but I would caution the need for an audition first as in my experience it requires careful system mating to achieve its best.

Mar 22, 2007 at 9:01 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by plokmijn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In general Audio Technicas have good bass.

I disagree. A-T's vary quite a bit from model to model. Bass response is not consistent amongst them. I'd say that only the L3000's have really impactful (albeit a bit bloated, imo) bass. Quote:

Originally Posted by tuatara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're after a solid bass heavy sound the AT2000s or the W5000s are not what you need. Although the bass response can extend quite deep they wont have the impact I think you're after. Both phones have what I could call a tuneful bass response where it is possible to clearly follow individual notes and lines but it wont rattle the fillings in your teeth.
The L3000 would possibly fit the bill but hard to get and outside your price.
The GS1000 Grado has good bass response but I would caution the need for an audition first as in my experience it requires careful system mating to achieve its best.

Agreed on all counts.

Also suggest the Ultrasone Proline 750's if impactful and accurate deep bass response is what you are after.

Mar 22, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #12 of 27
To my ears, when coupled with my MPX3 SE, the RS1 trounces the bass impact and detail of the AD2000 and W5000. It's not even close. The same RS1 when coupled with my M^3 loses quite a bit of the impact.

Mar 22, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #13 of 27
If your MPX3 is what gives the impact to your rs1s, what happens when you pair it with the ad2000 or w5000?

Also if anyone has tried any of the SP amps (especially the ppx3-slam, which is supposed to have BIG impact) with the ATs, please give us some insights.

Mar 22, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #15 of 27
As much as I like the AD2000 (I prefer them over HD650 and K701), I would have to say that their bass impact cannot match the impact/fullness of the HD650's bass. Of course, I have not heard the AD2000 amped, so that may be a different beast, but I'm pretty sure the HD650 will still beat it in terms of sheer impact. As for the LDM, I don't know if it'll be able to drive the HD650 or not since I haven't heard it.

On another note, I will say that the AD2000 has slightly more of a bass impact than the K701 in my book. I'll need to confirm this next weekend when I meet with my friend who owns a AD2000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back