ATH-AD2000 bassy enough?
Mar 23, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #17 of 27
There are multiple facets to bass that I think you may be overlooking here. There's extension (can it do 30 Hz or below?), impact (do kicks, punches, and drops carry power?), force/intensity (how controlled are impacts - restrained or let loose?), definition/texture (can you spy out a kick drum if it's there? can you hear the resonance of a timpani?), speed/PRAT (can the headphone swiftly hit the next note as quickly as it hit the previous one? does it sound slodgy?), and attack (do bass notes quickly emerge from the background?).

As far as I can tell, the AD2000 has much more audible extension than its closest competitors, a very strong force (that's also very controlled though), excellent speed, and a very fast attack. In comparing it to its competition, it loses out to them mostly in impact and definition/texture. Several headphones have more impact than it - the HD650, most Beyers, others have much more definition (DT880 comes to mind instantly here), and still others even beat its speed (the Sony cans I've heard). So you need to determine what kind of bass you want before jumping into any one of these. From the sound of it though, I'm kinda getting the impression you're setting yourself up for disappointment if you expect "more bass!" from headphones in general, as headphones are not the ideal medium for bass.

Mar 23, 2007 at 12:31 AM Post #18 of 27
I'm switching between AD2000 and HD650 as I'm writing this post. Track is Delerium's "Archives vol.1" with some heavy duty bass segments. I will have to say AD2000 lack NO aspects in terms of bass. 650 has a tad more control(tight) bass with less bass decay, but AD2000's bass is very very enjoyable to my ears.

of course, what do I know.... ASR is the ultimate authority on AD2000
icon10.gif

Mar 23, 2007 at 12:46 AM Post #19 of 27
Er...I don't think I'm the authority of anything, especially the quirky AD2000. I'm just trying to apply my ear-training where it's best put to use.
smily_headphones1.gif

I also just now read the "clarity and brightness" criteria. Those are qualities the AD2000 does not have IMO. The treble is very flat on it (and could easily be mistaken for darkness), and it doesn't have anywhere near the overall clarity that you can easily find on other headphones, like the AKG Kx01 series.

Also if my posts seem like they're mindless raves for the AD2000, that's not what I intend, just trying to describe its best qualities is all. It's true that it's my favorite headphone of course, but it's actually not my primary-listening one, that honor goes to the K701.

Mar 23, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #20 of 27
Well, thanx for many wise words in this thread guys. Judging from MANY threads (hours of searching & reading) I have made my final choice. (Coming)

Today I sold the A900's for 131 US Dollars to a friend.. It was kinda sad, since I've had so much fun with them. They were my babies, and I still have emotions for them - damn nice phones.. BUT, on to my new investment! My new phones - already ordered
smily_headphones1.gif
It's....*drumroll*....Ultrasone Proline 750!!! Got them from a webshop in Norway - selling them for only 327 US dollars. (2000 Norwegian KR) That is a good deal, right? Since most prices I have seen on webshops are 399 US Dollars.

I have read SO much positive about these phones, and I believe they will fit my needs right on the spot. The only negative feedback on them are that some people don't get them to fit right on their head. But I didn't let that factor affect my choice. I particulary drew attention to one thread where the Proline 650 (littlebrother of the 750) was compared up against the A900's and the DT770/80. The majority rated the 650 better on all fields - except comfort.

So.. Now I'm hesitatingly waiting for them to arrive in the mail, and I will post photos, a review and some first and second thoughts.

ADDITIONAL: Based on what I've read about the AD2000's, I have decided to get my hands around some of these one day. They just sound too good to NOT experience.

BTW

Asr: Damn nice of you to lend out your AD2000's to other people. There's probably many people looking up to you for being so kind. Big up for that.

Mar 23, 2007 at 8:15 AM Post #21 of 27
Long, multi-quoted post

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexpea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Help appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif
I read a great review by Elephas btw, that dude has a serious collection of phones
blink.gif

Thanks. I don't think so many headphones is really necessary, maybe just the AD2000.
tongue.gif

There are many members with extensive experience who don't seem to post as much as they used to.
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree. A-T's vary quite a bit from model to model. Bass response is not consistent amongst them.

I agree A-T's vary widely in terms of bass quantity/impact, as well as other qualities. The A700 and AD700 are very different, for example.

Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To my ears, when coupled with my MPX3 SE, the RS1 trounces the bass impact and detail of the AD2000 and W5000. It's not even close.

Hmm, bass impact I might agree with, but the AD2000's and W5000's bass details being trounced by the RS-1 is harder for me to imagine. I would assume the RS-1+MPX3 SE has exceptional bass quantity and quality.

My RS-1+Raptor combo has good bass details, but not better than the AD2000 or W5000 with the AT-HA5000.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Veniogenesis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course, I have not heard the AD2000 amped...

First, you didn't try the AD2000 for months, and now listening to it unamped?! Some people...
blink.gif
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also just now read the "clarity and brightness" criteria. Those are qualities the AD2000 does not have IMO. The treble is very flat on it (and could easily be mistaken for darkness), and it doesn't have anywhere near the overall clarity that you can easily find on other headphones, like the AKG Kx01 series.

I think the AD2000's clarity is one of its strong points. Treble is slightly bright and very crisp, without any harshness. It is more similar to the RS-1 and even K1000 in this respect than the HD650. I think the AD2000's treble is as clear and detailed as the K701's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexpea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's....*drumroll*....Ultrasone Proline 750!!! Got them from a webshop in Norway - selling them for only 327 US dollars. (2000 Norwegian KR) That is a good deal, right?

US$327 sounds high. The 2500 and 750 were on sale last month for US$210, and I bought the 2500. Now, they're back to their "regular" price of NT$8000 or about US$243 on Yahoo Taiwan Auctions.

http://tw.f4.page.bid.yahoo.com/tw/auction/d24288934

Mar 23, 2007 at 10:57 AM Post #22 of 27
Well, I don't want to order headphones from sites which contain languages I don't understand; like the one you posted Elephas. I did some searching to check the normal-price on the 750's internationally, and here's what I found:

B&H Photo-Video-Pro Audio - $399
Sweetwater - $399
Amazon - $399
DJ Deals - $389
Various eBay - $399
www.Free-Scores.com - $399

Now, you have to remember I live in Norway. That means shipping+taxes. Probably 50 to 100 bucks I assume. Then we're up to a price near $500.

Here are the prices I found in Norway:
www.tabs.no - $431 (2631 Norwegian KR)
www.sound1.no - $408 (2490 Norwegian KR)
www.multitechnic.no - $797 (4862 Norwegian KR)
www.microplex.no - $327 (1995 Norwegian KR)

So, as you see - the price I found on Microplex was very good compared to the others. Including shipping, the total price for me will be under $350, and THAT is a bargain, imo.

So, even if I bought the phones from Yahoo Taiwan Auctions for $243, the total price would still climb up to approx $320-350 with shipping and taxes. But then again - I don't take the risk of ordering from a site like that. But thanx anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 23, 2007 at 11:44 AM Post #23 of 27
Yes, the Microplex price looks good in comparison.

I'm not familiar with 750 and 2500 pricing in other locations, thanks for pointing that out.

Yahoo Taiwan Auctions is similar to Yahoo Japan Auctions, where the buyers and sellers are usually limited to the respective countries. Most sellers don't understand English and won't ship internationally.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the 750.

Mar 23, 2007 at 11:49 AM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, the Microplex price looks good in comparison.

I'm not familiar with 750 and 2500 pricing in other locations, thanks for pointing that out.

Yahoo Taiwan Auctions is similar to Yahoo Japan Auctions, where the buyers and sellers are usually limited to the respective countries. Most sellers don't understand English and won't ship internationally.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the 750.

Thanx
smily_headphones1.gif
And because of your fantastic thread about the AD2000, I will make sure to get my hands on one of those as well in the future! I think the 750 will be my bass-phone (in my future collection, haha), and therefore I want to try out ones that doens't have the same sound. The AD2000 is for shure on top of my wish-list! With the W5000 right behind.

Jul 17, 2007 at 2:43 PM Post #25 of 27
A lot of excellent and accurate descriptions given by ASR and Elephas already about the AD2000 so I wont rehash, especially considering they have better setups and more listening experience than I do.

I think the AD2000 is a great headphone, however its not the one I would recommend for a card-carrying bass head
smily_headphones1.gif

The headphones most often mentioned for their bass performance in probably the DT770, DT990 and the new Denon's. I havent heard them personally though so I cant comment with detail.

Regarding the bass performance of the AD2000 compared to a Senneheiser 595 and 650, the Ad2000 is obviously lacking the same level of impact and thickness of the bass of the 650, but the AD2000 has an extended and fast bass, which I love when listening to the double bass in jazz ensembles. I can follow the bass line accurately without it becoming fuzzy like on my 595. I think with the right amp, it could add more thickness to the sound.

I have put in the "phatpad" mod to increase the stiffness of the earpads to make them a bit more comfy. The mod definitely helped with comfort. I suspect it may have helped a little with bass performance too, because I think a bit of that bass impact sensation you get with a 650 or 595 (or leather pads in a 880, or Denons) probably comes from the more rigid earpads helping to conduct the bass vibration a bit more to the ears and head.
All in all, the AD2000 unamped is not bass shy, its just not a headphone that is bass heavy. A lot depends on the amp setup you have of course, but even out of an ipod, the AD2000 have decent bass.

Enjoy your new Prolines.
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: Oops, I see the last post was from March...lol...the hazards or reading more than one thread

Jul 20, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #26 of 27
I remember that the bass is improved to a great extent throught he use of foam (taken from k240 pads) and shove into the cups. In fact it got annoying as the bass would overpower everything, leading me to believe it's really a function of the seal that you're getting. Yea old thread is old, but there are ways to coax out bass of this headphone...it's there in gobs haha

Apr 20, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoPants /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember that the bass is improved to a great extent throught he use of foam (taken from k240 pads) and shove into the cups. In fact it got annoying as the bass would overpower everything, leading me to believe it's really a function of the seal that you're getting. Yea old thread is old, but there are ways to coax out bass of this headphone...it's there in gobs haha

I'm resurrecting this old thread.

What "ways to coax out bass of this headphone" is there? I greatly enjoy this the AD2000, but it would be fun to experiment with the bass level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back