ATH-AD2000 – Fire Sale @ Musician's Friend!
Apr 22, 2010 at 6:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Valens7

500+ Head-Fier
Musician's Friend seems to be selling new, unopened AD2000 headphones for $500. I just called them to verify this. They have a used – excellent condition I was told – one available for $440! They seem to have a rather generous return policy too.

I just bought mine.
wink.gif
I can't wait to hear how it stacks up against the HD600!

Apr 22, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #3 of 15
Let me also apologize in advance if this is old news to anybody. I just thought it seemed like a noteworthy deal.

Apr 22, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #5 of 15
Given that I no longer own the HD650, I won't be able to help you out too much there. I'll certainly post some general impressions though. The two headphones that I'll have on hand to compare it with directly are the HD600 and the K501.

Apr 22, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #7 of 15
I agree $500 was alot more than what I thought I would spend on a headphone when i joined this forum but it has been well worth it to me. Im currently building my setup around this phone as Ive fallen in love with it.

Apr 28, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #8 of 15
I just opened up the AD2000. I'm very impressed with the build quality of this headphone. It is easily the best that I've had the opportunity to try out, even over the W1000. I don't have any problems with its comfort either, except that my ears do press up against the driver enclosure somewhat. So, it's not perfect. At least the drivers aren't angled awkwardly like they seem to be on many AT headphones though.

Oh, I like what I'm hearing too.
wink.gif

Apr 28, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #9 of 15
Were the American models affected by Audio-Technica's recent recall?

Apr 28, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #10 of 15
Had the same problem with the driver touching my ears. Just stuffed a few long strips of cloth wrapped around some loose cotton into the back half of the earpad. Can leave them on for hours now with no fatigue.

Apr 28, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #11 of 15
Well, by the looks of it the one I own may be among those that AT is offering to recable. It doesn't have the sticker under the left headband pad. Is there any other way for me to ascertain this? Or is that the only way to check?

In any case, it isn't supposed to affect the sound or the safety of the headphone is it? As I said before, they sound fine to me right now out of the box.

Before I consider modding them, I'm going to give them a full audition in their stock state. The closeness of the drivers may be a long term issue, but it isn't unpleasant enough to color my overall evaluation of the headphone right now. Thanks for the tip though!

Man, these cans are good for rock. This is kind of what I thought the SR225 was going to sound like when I bought it. Music sounds so clean. I'm smiling.
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW, it sounds almost nothing the HD650. I feel that I can say that with some certainty already.

Apr 28, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Were the American models affected by Audio-Technica's recent recall?

Unfortunatly there are under recall but i still have not been given a clear answer on what (if anything) the issue with the cable causes. Headphones sound fine to me
confused_face(1).gif

Apr 29, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #13 of 15
Unless you want to go balanced without recabling, it shouldn't matter much to the sound. The ground is joined no matter what in SE operation.

Apr 29, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #14 of 15
This headphone is stupidly good with heavy metal. I mean, yikes. It makes the HD600 sound quite dull by comparison.

It is incredibly easy to drive. I think that I'm going to check and see how it sounds out of my 5.5G iPod sometime today.

I've managed to adjust the headphone to a position where it sits pretty comfortably. I'm hesitant to experiment with the "phat pad" mod, and I'm worried about bending the headband as I feel that the amount of clamping force may actually the best that I've ever experienced from any headphone. It is less than the HD600, and far less than the HD650. I wouldn't want to cause any irreversible change to that. The fact that I wear glasses also aggravates the difficulty of adjusting the fit. It is too bad that AT didn't take into account the fact that human beings have ears rather than holes in their heads. As it stands, the HD600 is certainly less fatiguing to wear over long stretches.

The odds of me returning this headphone seem increasingly remote.
wink.gif

Apr 30, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #15 of 15
Glad to hear your impressions, I bought mine from Musician's Friend and should be getting it within a week! Really don't know what to expect from the sound since I'm so used to not so good headphones (sony nc7s) for awhile :p.

Very excited
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back