ath ad-900 vs other options.....?
May 3, 2011 at 1:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

aberberich

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

So I'm getting ready to buy my first pair of hifi headphones but still trying to decide what would be best. I've been reading a lot about the ATH-AD900 and I really like what I'm seeing there, although a common complaint seems to be the lack of bass. I'm certainly no basshead but I would like there to be enough (and judging by some of these reviews this doesn't seem to be the case with the ad900).

So my question, what are some good open, semi open cans that would be aroudn the range of the ath-ad900 in price but maybe add a little more bass...?

Thanks!

May 3, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
The first thing that comes to my mind is the DT880 32ohm, but it's a bit higher priced.  The hd595 might be another viable option as well, but it doesn't give the extension as the 880.

I see in your signature that you have the AD-700's. How do you like them for music..? Is the bass acceptable..?

May 3, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #6 of 8
I use them exclusively for gaming.  I found their low bass extension to be non-existant.  They do eq for bass extremely well, and with very agressive EQing, you can get some decent bass out of them, but it wasn't as punchy or tight as I wanted it to be.

May 3, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #7 of 8
Did someone say headphone suggestions?  Well, ask and you shall receive!

AKG K240MKII

Beyerdynamic DT990 32 Ohm

Grado SR225i, SR325i

Sennheiser HD598

Superlux HD-open air series

You'll find with all of these options excellent sound quality as well as the bass response you're looking for.

May 3, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
Did someone say headphone suggestions?  Well, ask and you shall receive!

AKG K240MKII

Beyerdynamic DT990 32 Ohm

Grado SR225i, SR325i

Sennheiser HD598

Superlux HD-open air series

You'll find with all of these options excellent sound quality as well as the bass response you're looking for.

fantastic! looks like i have some reading to do tonight!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back