ATH A900LTD (detachable cable mod) *questions*
Nov 13, 2012 at 12:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

epion2985

Head-Fier
Hi guys,

After 5 years ATH A900LTD cable gave out; time to fix. I decided to go with a detachable cable to make swapping more convenient in the future. I am sure I can manage (mechanical engineer) but had a few quick questions.

Pictures will be posted on completion to appease the internet gods.

1) I see a lot of balanced headphones end with a 3-pin xlr on each cable; probably because a lot of amps provide 3-pin balanced L/R xlr outputs. If on each line one pin is used for the signal and one for return does the 3rd pin get unused? If so why then not use a single 4-pin xlr plug on amps?

2) I am not sure what the plastic Y piece is called that covers up and makes the connection pretty where cables from each driver merge in to one sleeve. Would be good to know what it's called so I can search for one.

3) The signal and return wires from each driver are usually braided for shielding benefits but is it a good idea to braid the two braids together after they go in to the same sleeve after the Y.

4) Looking for wire and sleeve recommendations. With regard to the wire just looking for quality. With regard to the sleeve looking for something that Looks & Feels very nice, somethig special perhaps
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks

Nov 13, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:
After 5 years ATH A900LTD cable gave out; time to fix. I decided to go with a detachable cable to make swapping more convenient in the future. I am sure I can manage (mechanical engineer) but had a few quick questions.
Pictures will be posted on completion to appease the internet gods.
1) I see a lot of balanced headphones end with a 3-pin xlr on each cable; probably because a lot of amps provide 3-pin balanced L/R xlr outputs. If on each line one pin is used for the signal and one for return does the 3rd pin get unused? If so why then not use a single 4-pin xlr plug on amps?
2) I am not sure what the plastic Y piece is called that covers up and makes the connection pretty where cables from each driver merge in to one sleeve. Would be good to know what it's called so I can search for one.
3) The signal and return wires from each driver are usually braided for shielding benefits but is it a good idea to braid the two braids together after they go in to the same sleeve after the Y.

4) Looking for wire and sleeve recommendations. With regard to the wire just looking for quality. With regard to the sleeve looking for something that Looks & Feels very nice, something special perhaps
smily_headphones1.gif

Mogami W2534 quad cable or Canare quad cable are brands that others have used for headphone cabling.
Lots of braided nylon sleeve sold on eBay, check some headphone diy cabling threads on head-fi and other forums.

Nov 13, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
Mogami W2534 quad cable or Canare quad cable are brands that others have used for headphone cabling.
Lots of braided nylon sleeve sold on eBay, check some headphone diy cabling threads on head-fi and other forums.

Yeah I read a lot of those but they don't really answer my questions, save maybe the cable one; Mogami cables very popular indeed.

Unfortunately looking at pictures of sleeves doesn't tell you much about how they "feel" to the touch or other properties. I was hoping to hear from people that maybe have found exotic (nice to look at / nice to touch) sleeves. I was hoping to find something... special
smily_headphones1.gif
...before I give up and grab some generic sleeve.

This is less of a "my thing broke - lets quickly make it work"

More of a "my thing broke - lets use that as an excuse to make something special (nice to listen to / nice to look at / nice to touch)"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back