ATH-A700x vs ATH-A900x
Jan 11, 2012 at 4:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

masterseraphim

New Head-Fier
So I'm looking to get a new pair of full sized headphones, and I'm fairly interested in these two. I know they just came out a few months ago, but I can't seem to find any comparisons at all-- even between the older models. Initially I was looking at the A900 at $250, but then when the update was made the price jumped $50, the A700x went to $250, and the A900x went to $300. Will the A900x be worth the $50 over the A700X? The specs between the two are a little different, but to be honest, I don't really know much about reading headphone specs.

The A700x is
Type: Closed Dynamic
Driver Unit: 53mm, Bobbin winding OFC voice coil
Magnet: Neodymium
Frequency response: 5-35,000 Hz
Impedence: 38 ohms
Max. Input Power: 2,000mW
Sensitivity: 100dB
Plug: Gold-plating stereo mini plug
Cord length: 3.0m (Wrapping / Hi-OFC)
Net weight (without cord): 290g

and the A900X is
Type: Closed Dynamic
Driver Unit: 53mm, Bobbin winding OFC voice coil
Magnet: Neodymium
Frequency response: 5-40,000 Hz
Impedence: 42 ohms
Max. Input Power: 2,000mW
Sensitivity: 100dB
Plug: Gold-plating stereo mini plug
Cord length: 3.0m (Wrapping / Hi-OFC)
Net weight (without cord): 350g

Also, I'm fairly comfortable with the idea that specs won't necessarily give the sound profile of the headphones. There are construction, build and design to consider. To be clear, I don't have an amp yet. I'm not opposed to getting one, but I'd like to get the new headphones first. My only full sized set, right now, is a pair of MDR-V700s that are several years old (besides a loose bearing, and the pads being very worn, I have no problems-- just looking to upgrade). I also have a pair of on-ears (TMA-1) that I love, but I thought that a more comfortable, mostly at-home pair with a different sound would be nice.
I listen to a bit of rock, various forms of electronic, rap, and some classical. Sources would be my PC, or my iPhone when puttering around. And then my receiver if/when gaming late at night. Hopefully I'm heading in the right direction with these phones.

And again, mostly I want a comparison between the A700X and the A900x. I'll gladly take any other advice or suggestion, though.

Jan 11, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #2 of 6
Don't worry about getting an amp. You won't need one for the Audio Technicas. I don't think anyone's had a chance to compare them because of how new they are, not to mention the fact that they're not available at any sort of discounted price yet. Concerning the older non-x models though, I remember reading a bunch of comparisons between the A700 and A900. Most people seemed to think that they were quite similar, and it wasn't worth it to get the A900 if on a budget. Don't know if that would carry over to the newer ones. And welcome to Head-fi!

Jan 11, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks! The amp info is useful. And I guess there was a bigger price difference between the two before the upgrade, as well. I was looking to spend about $250 (the A900 price point), so my thought is that if there is a substantial enough difference, the extra $50 won't break me. I may wait a bit to see if any comparisons come up, though. In the meantime, I can always check out comparisons between the old models.

Jan 13, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #5 of 6
I'm half Japanese and can read Japanese. So far I haven't heard many impressions on the a700x, but there a couple of reviews for the a900x on amazon.co.jp. I cannot read the Chinese Characters very well, but the general consensus seems to be that it's a good headphone in terms of sound quality and signature. However, many people have complained that the headphone were too heavy because of the aluminum construction. I would personally go with the a700x because it is made out of plastic and is 20% lighter than the previous version which would theoretically make it more comfortable. 

Jan 13, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
I'm half Japanese and can read Japanese. So far I haven't heard many impressions on the a700x, but there a couple of reviews for the a900x on amazon.co.jp. I cannot read the Chinese Characters very well, but the general consensus seems to be that it's a good headphone in terms of sound quality and signature. However, many people have complained that the headphone were too heavy because of the aluminum construction. I would personally go with the a700x because it is made out of plastic and is 20% lighter than the previous version which would theoretically make it more comfortable. 

Arigatou gozaimasu.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back