AT2020 XLR microphone (non USB) with Asus essence ST
Apr 11, 2013 at 7:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Artcheezzz

Head-Fier
Hi there, by accident bought AT2020 Cardioid Condenser Microphone which is NOT USB for   as i though it will be usb. (its stupid to give same name for different product!)
So is it possible to hook up some how without pre-amp this mic? I thought Essence ST have 6.5 mm microphone socket and will be able to power this mic. 
So can i buy some cheap usb xlr interface? I do have Nad 352 integrated amp, any possibilities? :) (sorry i`m newbie)
Or simplest way would be - return this one and buy USB version?
Any advice is welcome.

P.S. mic is for my wife karaoke :)

Apr 13, 2013 at 6:00 AM Post #2 of 9
The thing about condenser mics is they need to be powered. So basically whatever you plug it into will need to be capable of providing 48V of phantom power to it. Your integrated amp most likely wont do this, neither will your Essence ST. If you want to use it you will need to buy a USB audio interface with phantom power capabilities. These can be pretty cheap. Something like this http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Scarlett2i2/ would be more than suitable. If you don't want to spend an extra $100-$200 though I'd recommend returning it and getting the USB version. 

Apr 13, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #4 of 9
Apr 13, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #5 of 9
That 6.5mm microphone jack is for microphones which don't need power. Any dynamic microphone will do, condenser microphones will not. 

Actually yeah, that little unit would work too for supplying power. You'd plug the mic into the input on that and then plug mic thru into your Essence ST's mic jack.

Apr 25, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #8 of 9
So connected everything, Asus Essence ST conntected with 6.35 mono jack to xlr >>> ps400>>> xlr to xlr cable to AT2020 mic.
but have an issue: only in one ear i can hear myself via microphone. 
Is that because cables are MONO? I have bought wrong ones before, plus bought now these, and i need another cables? lol
Is that problem in cables?
Please help, advice.

Jun 7, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #9 of 9
The AT2020 is itself a mono microphone (as are most microphones) so it doesn't matter if you have a stereo cable, it'd still be mono. Make sure you have the microphone input set to mono on whatever you use to record and it should distribute it over both channels. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back