AT-ESW9/ AMP?
Oct 23, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #16 of 33
I see you already purchased the D4, but I am surprised the RSA predator wasn't mentioned. I have this combo and it sounds superb.

Oct 23, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeMark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see you already purchased the D4, but I am surprised the RSA predator wasn't mentioned. I have this combo and it sounds superb.

The D4 will do the same thing, no?
Or do you think a dedicated amp will sound better than a combo unit?
I've read that the amp section (dont know if that's how you said it)
of the D4 is good enough.
But ya i would like to try one of the RSA products, maybe if i cant get one for sale....

Oct 24, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #18 of 33
My ESW9's sound great with my tomahawk and next week I'll be able to tell you how they sound with my new Shadow
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 26, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vitor Teixeira /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Need advice for the best USB/DAC AMP for ATESW9 please.
(it's on the way,
wink.gif
) now i need to get an amp to pair, or he doesnt need one?
Anyway i need one to connect to my laptop..
Thanks a lot.

As someone who has the ESW9 and three amps (iBasso D10, Style Audio Topaz and Millett Minimax), I can say you don't need any amp. Seriously.

But if you're still gonna get one, I'd go for a used D10 or D2+. I don't think you'd hear a significant difference between the two, so I'd go for D2+ and save extra $.

Oct 28, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #20 of 33
The ESW9 with the original Pico with the built in dac.

If you are using it with your laptop, perfect application. Its' kind of an awkward size for a portable but with it's USB input to the dac , thats it.

Jan 18, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #22 of 33
iBasso T4 gave me especially more soundstage, instrument seperation, prescence. I think it lifted the sound of the esw9 in every aspect. Not HUGE differences at once, but over a period of time listening to different kinds of music, it was very clear to me. Now that T4 is broken, I miss it. So don't tell me, I didn't hear no difference... Maybe you are right, that the difference would be bigger with other headphones. But still it is wrong to say, that the esw9 can't benefit from an amp.

Feb 23, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #23 of 33
Just curious if any fellow ESW9 owners will be taking the plunge by getting a Pico Slim? I'm kinda torn...I keep reading comments that the ESW9 doesn't really improve w/ portable amping (at least in relation to the HP out of an iPod Classic), and I keep trying to decide if I want an amp/DAC solution for use w/ my laptop as well....

Feb 23, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #25 of 33
i would say esw9 sounds good with any decent amp. like said many times, and i'm gonna say it again, this baby will sounds good direct from your DAP. but if you wanted to connect this to amp and use computer as transport, consider ttvj slim or hybrid for amp and get a separate dac. it will prepare you in the future for a more difficult headphone to drive.

Feb 23, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #26 of 33
I agree. This set of cans sound great w/o an amp.

Feb 24, 2010 at 6:10 AM Post #28 of 33
I agree that the ESW9 sounds pretty good out of an iPod without an amp. However, the one exception in my stable is the RSA SR71-A. Totally different game compared to my D10. Good cheap stuff like the uDAC doesn't move the meter at all. I listen both ways, straight out of my iPods for casual listening and with the SR71 for a surprisingly hi-fi sound. I just happened to come across this thread while listening to this combination doing an A/B with the Soloz and MicroShar LOD's. Common sense would weigh against buying an SR71 just for the ESW9's, but my ears tell me otherwise -- just a magical synergy. FWIW, the vast majority of my music is lossless.

Feb 24, 2010 at 7:31 AM Post #29 of 33
ESW9 sounds amazing with iQube V1! I allways liked esw9, also directly from the headphone output of my iAudio7. But with this amp, they are miles ahead. They shine.

Apr 19, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by librarian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ESW9 sounds amazing with iQube V1! I allways liked esw9, also directly from the headphone output of my iAudio7. But with this amp, they are miles ahead. They shine.

I audition the above you mentioned and I have to agreed they are indeed a match made in heaven !

The ESW9 simply sounds too aggressive with my iBasso P3. The laid-back, transparent and expansive sound of the iQube makes long listening much less fatiguing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back