AT-DHA3000 vs. other high-end SS amps for L3000s
May 3, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #16 of 29
I can agree that the DAC in the DHA3000 is on par with the likes of a DAC1 or a stock SCD-1 (with redbook). That said, these days I would NOT be content with that level of source in my main rig. The amp in the DHA3000 MIGHT be a lot better than what I've heard coming out of it, but we'll never know since you can't decouple it from its DAC.

Certainly, the DHA3000/L3000 is a great sounding system, but even with the L3000 as a constant - for the same money I'd much rather have a separate source & amp. Now I'm a vinyl junkie that can't live content with redbook, so factor that in as well. Still, even considering redbook-only I'd probably look elsewhere.

I'm surprised that you didn't like the GS-X, as the Headamp Gilmores I've heard with the L3000 (V2, Single-Ended Reference) were both excellent. If you're not happy there, the DHA3000 is NOT going to give you the lush mids you're looking for. I'd also be skeptical of the Apache providing you this, based on my previous ownership of the HR-2. In fact, I found the Gilmores to sound as smooth in the mids, and with as much bass impact, as I've heard from any near-neutral SS amp.

I'd suggest that what you're looking for resides in either a heavily colored SS amp (which will be VERY hard to find in the RIGHT coloration, and WILL most likely sacrifice the resolution, as you noted), OR a tube amp. The Zana Deux is not that tube amp since it was very VERY neutral with all the various tube combos I tried in it. I think a low-feedback (or no feedback), low-output-impedance tube design is what you're looking for. Hard to do well in an OTL design. Maybe the transformer coupled stuff would be good for you, but I've not heard one yet. I LOVE transformer-coupled speaker amps, though - for both the sonics and the safety/peace of mind for my speakers - this can be a consideration with rare/valuable headphones.

May 4, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamoneagain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although you can't play SACDs or DVDAs thru it, you can play 24/96 flac files. You can also transcode these to ALAC and still keep the 24/96 format. I've compared Nine Inch Nails "The Slip" in both 16/44 & 24/96 and it's quite subtle. Seems the bass goes even lower and there's even more air around the instruments. I've also tried some HD 24/44 files and these sound very nice too. Lastly I've tried some 24/96 vinyl files and found it's captures the analog sound very well. Gives vocals a real smoothness. Anyway, there a few online places starting to sell these high format files.

I thought that the DAC in this amp was only 16 bit. If so, any 24 bit files played through it will be truncated to 16 bit. In my experience, that never sounds good.

May 4, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by nnotis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought that the DAC in this amp was only 16 bit. If so, any 24 bit files played through it will be truncated to 16 bit. In my experience, that never sounds good.

It's at 24 bit DAC. It can play 24/96 files with no problem. I'll post the technical details as soon as I can find the link.

Technical detail: http://www.audio-technica.com.sg/pro...nes/at-dha3000
Very cool Japanese link for L3000: http://www.audio-technica.co.jp/atj/...000/index.html
And DHA3000: http://www.audio-technica.co.jp/prod...t-dha3000.html

Here's the link to the Seattle meet we just had with a few impressions. Probably be a few more added. Also has some photos of DHA3000.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f45/so...ssions-422578/

Jun 18, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #23 of 29
God Im still willing to sell any extra organ or part of my liver for L3000. Legit offer.

frown.gif

Jun 19, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
God Im still willing to sell any extra organ or part of my liver for L3000. Legit offer.

frown.gif

you can have mine, in exchange for your kidney. seriously.

Jun 19, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #25 of 29
really. let's do this! when & where

Jun 19, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by ohnjee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about using AT-HA2002 or AT-HA5000?

As you said, AT-DHA3000 offers digital output only.

So, it is so limitied to use.

DHA3000 offers a good big better sound in comparison to the HA2002 that I used to own. Get the HA2002 only if you want to buy the W2002.

Jun 19, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #28 of 29
I have not tried the DHA3000, I wanted to. but I did try the Apache and Rudistor RPX-100... They were good, but not great with the L3000.. the WA5 is much better, but very much not a SS amp...

Sorry

Jun 19, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeymad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have not tried the DHA3000, I wanted to. but I did try the Apache and Rudistor RPX-100... They were good, but not great with the L3000.. the WA5 is much better, but very much not a SS amp...

Sorry

The WA5 sounded great with the L3000 when I tried it. Unless you want an all in one solution for the L3000, I would not buy the DHA3000 if you already have the Woo 5. The DHA3000 sounds excellent with the L3000 but the WA 5+L3000 just sounded more powerful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back