AT-DHA3000 vs. other high-end SS amps for L3000s
Apr 28, 2009 at 2:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

strangelove

100+ Head-Fier
I'm trying to find the perfect SS amp for my L3000s. I started with my Graham Slee Solo, which is pretty good, but wanted something better. I've tried both the GS-X and RSA Apache, but haven't been fully happy with either of them. The Solo has incredible bass impact that neither of the other two can match as well as a very lush midrange. Unfortunately it pales in comparison to the other two in terms of clarity and detail.

Since the AT-DHA3000 is supposed to be the ultimate amp for the L3000s, I was wondering if anyone had any direct experience on how it compares to the GS-X, Apache, or even Luxman P1 (the other amp I'm considering trying). Right now the thing that is really keeping me from pulling the trigger on the DHA3000 is the lack of analogue inputs. The digital only inputs wouldn't allow me to listen to SACDs or DVDAs with the unit, thus necessitating a second amp for that purpose.

Apr 29, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #2 of 29
Have you thought of a Beta 22? It seems like a great candidate, plus you can have as many inputs as you want since its custom built.

I'm afraid that if you have already owned the Apache and GS-X, you may only be making a lateral move instead of a substantial vertical one.

What do you want from an amp with the L3000's. For me, I would want just a very slight touch of brightness and clarity.

Apr 29, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #3 of 29
I would go for the Zana Deux, it looks like a logical step from here. And it is reportedly SS-sounding. Also, the new batch has an impedence switch so it will work well with ATH's.

btw.. the dha3000 doesn't have preamp output either, which wouldn't work for my plans of speakers in the future.

my .02

Apr 29, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #4 of 29
Sorry, I haven't listened to the other amps in question but do have the DHA3000. I am quite happy with it. Has a lot of power to completely control the bass and adds no bloat. Brings out the highs better than any of amp I've tested it with. I remember first hearing the L3000 on the Zana Deux and it sounded great. Didn't spend too much time with though.

Although you can't play SACDs or DVDAs thru it, you can play 24/96 flac files. You can also transcode these to ALAC and still keep the 24/96 format. I've compared Nine Inch Nails "The Slip" in both 16/44 & 24/96 and it's quite subtle. Seems the bass goes even lower and there's even more air around the instruments. I've also tried some HD 24/44 files and these sound very nice too. Lastly I've tried some 24/96 vinyl files and found it's captures the analog sound very well. Gives vocals a real smoothness. Anyway, there a few online places starting to sell these high format files.

The DHA3000 works well with other headphones as well. All the ATH headphones sound great thru it. Sennheiser is great too. Grado doesn't do as well. Seems to make them shoutier than normal. Even the HP-2 doesn't sound that great on it. I have a meet this Saturday, so I've get to try all these tests again.

Apr 29, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #5 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by strangelove /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm trying to find the perfect SS amp for my L3000s. I started with my Graham Slee Solo, which is pretty good, but wanted something better. I've tried both the GS-X and RSA Apache, but haven't been fully happy with either of them. The Solo has incredible bass impact that neither of the other two can match as well as a very lush midrange. Unfortunately it pales in comparison to the other two in terms of clarity and detail.

Since the AT-DHA3000 is supposed to be the ultimate amp for the L3000s, I was wondering if anyone had any direct experience on how it compares to the GS-X, Apache, or even Luxman P1 (the other amp I'm considering trying). Right now the thing that is really keeping me from pulling the trigger on the DHA3000 is the lack of analogue inputs. The digital only inputs wouldn't allow me to listen to SACDs or DVDAs with the unit, thus necessitating a second amp for that purpose.

Strangelove, since you're going to CanJam, I think you should just bring your headphones are start plugging them in. Then, you can report back to us. I've limited experience with L3000s, so I'll stay out of this one, but will be very curious to learn what you find out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamwhisper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would go for the Zana Deux, it looks like a logical step from here. And it is reportedly SS-sounding. Also, the new batch has an impedence switch so it will work well with ATH's.

Stop making recommendations for gear you haven't heard.

Apr 29, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stop making recommendations for gear you haven't heard.

Newsflash! You don't have to hear a piece of gear to have a good idea that it would be a good match in a system.
wink.gif

Apr 29, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #7 of 29
^Where is the logic in that?

Apr 29, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by tk3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^Where is the logic in that?

It stems from the fact that anyone with decent experience and reading comprehension skills can have a good idea whether or not a piece of gear could be a good fit.

For example, I haven't heard the GSX, but I know from experience with the headamp amps in addition to reading about the GSX that it is a fairly neutral amp(not in a bad way). Although I haven't heard it, you'd be hard press to find a mass of people who disagree with that statement. It is the general consensus.

It's not like this is all rocket science. Of course you can't say for sure whether or not it will be a great match with a can, but there is no harm in making a recommendation that someone look a something that could be a viable option....

*edit* and obviously, an opinion from someone who's heard it would be more valuable, but I don't see the point in crucifying ppl who suggest gear that they haven't heard, especially if they are an experienced head-fier...

Apr 29, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Newsflash! You don't have to hear a piece of gear to have a good idea that it would be a good match in a system.
wink.gif

Sure, loosely. I can bet a cmoy and a K701 aren't going to sound good together, and would recommend against it not having heard that specific combo. There are folks with more technical knowledge than I that know from just reading specs or looking at a design that something might be worth trying or should be avoided. Okay, but this is an audio forum where posting recommendations should, at least in theory, be helpful. Since audio is about hearing, why recommend gear, especially gear costing into the thousands, if you haven't heard it? How is that helpful? How can you provide anything other than fluff? This forum doesn't need more fluff and nonsense in the gear forums. Why not let people who have informative answers (and I'm sure there are more than a few), give them?

Here, the op is asking about SS amps, and a member recommends a tube amp that he has never heard. I wonder if he's even heard the L3000s. Bah. Enough said.

Apr 30, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #10 of 29
I forgot to mention I've also tried B22. Although it was a 2-channel version, I wasn't too impressed with it. I'm thinking maybe either a Luxman P-1 or going the tube route with a ZD or WA5LE. While I never considered the Slee Solo to be a warm sounding amp, compared to these other "high end" SS amps I've listened to, they all seem so much colder or flat. The Solo has a lushness to the midrange that is to die for and better bass impact than anything I've heard. I'd like to keep those features but increase the clarity/detail/seperation. The Solo sounds very congested compared to the more expensive amps.

I'm pretty sure I'll end up bringing my L3000s with me to CanJam and testing them on everything I can get my hands on. As of yet though I don't think anyone is bringing a DHA3000.

Apr 30, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

I forgot to mention I've also tried B22. Although it was a 2-channel version, I wasn't too impressed with it. I'm thinking maybe either a Luxman P-1 or going the tube route with a ZD or WA5LE. While I never considered the Slee Solo to be a warm sounding amp, compared to these other "high end" SS amps I've listened to, they all seem so much colder or flat. The Solo has a lushness to the midrange that is to die for and better bass impact than anything I've heard. I'd like to keep those features but increase the clarity/detail/seperation. The Solo sounds very congested compared to the more expensive amps.

I'm pretty sure I'll end up bringing my L3000s with me to CanJam and testing them on everything I can get my hands on. As of yet though I don't think anyone is bringing a DHA3000.

I have no plans for the CanJam, but if you can get up to Seattle this Saturday, I'll be bringing it to our meet. I know there are several members that have the DHA3000. I'd be surprised if not one of them will be at CanJam.

I heard it said from other members that there are better setups than the DHA3000, but it definitely does not fail in the clarity/detail/seperation department. It is not as lush as my last setup; mapletree tube amp & ECD-1 DAC, but it is much more open, detailed, and a lot faster sounding. It also has kept all the timbre and texture.

I've owned a GS-1 amp (similar to the GS-X) in the past and I'm not sure I'd pair it with the L3000. It would be hard to say if it would lost some of the timbre and texture. It think it would give the speed and clarity/detail/seperation you are looking for. I guess the lushness, timbre, and texture might be more effected by what you are feeding the GS-1, since it is very neutral. I kind of agree there is no real way of guessing. You just have to hear the setup for yourself.

Apr 30, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #12 of 29
strangelove, you mention you have a Graham Slee Solo. Is this in a black or silver enclosure? I say this because the Solo has been upgraded to the Solo SRG recently, and Graham will be providing an upgrade path for the older silver case Solo's. The new Solo SRG improves on bass tightness, midrange clarity, and more air between the notes.

You may wish to visit Graham's site to enquire about it. At least this aproach may tie you. Note I have listened to three versions fo the Solo and the lates is IMO the best.

Another Amp which I listened to and love is by Blue Circle, in some ways it is as good or better than the Luxman P1. Or at least as good sounding, the two cans I used were the Denon D5000 and the Sony R10.

May 1, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #13 of 29
I've got a silver 2007 Solo. I'm not sure the new version would be that much better than the old one to warrant an upgrade. I'm looking for something that will be a large step up (although the Solo truly is a great amp, especially for its current price).

That Blue Circle amp sounds intriguing, I'll have to read up more about it. I've never heard of it before.

May 1, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #14 of 29
immitbiker had/has (?) the blue circle amp. You might find out more info from him. I don't know much about it except that it proved to be one of the better amps I've heard with my bass-heavy R10s, in contrast to the Luxman P1, which I didn't enjoy with them much at all, both using an Accuphase cdp. However, if I were building a Senn rig up again, the Luxman would be on my very short list for amps. Wonderful with the 600s and 650! If at CanJam, I would seek both out to try.

May 1, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

It is entirely depend on how much you are willing to spend on source. The DHA3000 is extremely difficult to beat for a DAC+Amp combination for L3000 under $2000. However, if you are willing to invest some money in source whether a DAC or highend CD player, then I would look into either getting the Zana Deux or even the SP Supra (at your own risk). I'm a big fan of the DHA3000 and I think the DAC inside the unit is great and comparable to Bechmark DAC-1 or a redbook output of my Sony SCD-1. On a side note, I highly recommended you checking out the Larocco Headcode Dual Mono or Triad verison if you can find one. The amp works great on both my R10 and L3000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back