AT ath-m50x vs. shure srh940 vs. denon d600
May 15, 2014 at 3:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

nick electro

New Head-Fier
soo basically after couple of weeks of search and alot of headphones, i've decided to buy one of these 3.
i read alot of reviews and still dont know which one to take. i cant give more than 300$  thats why i choose this ones.
i mostly want a headphone for listening to the pc and not taking it everyday out with my ipod.
i listen mostly electronic music (im not a basshead).
soo what im asking here which one of these 3 here is better in terms of sound quality ?? (if u have something better in mind post :p )
im confused soo please tell me which one to get.

May 15, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #2 of 19
Shure SRH-940. The D600 from my experience, and the M50 (from my understanding), are more bass heavy. Headphones. The D600 will give you more of 'warehouse' rave sound. Each kick will reverberate and chords will have weighty depth to them. I personally enjoy it for electronic, but overall it would be better to have more balanced headphone like the Shure.

I used to own a pair of SRH-840 and the D600 are better, though the 840 is still more balanced even with its fairly large mid bass bump. I've demoed the 940 and it is an improvement overall.

May 16, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #3 of 19
Shure SRH-940. The D600 from my experience, and the M50 (from my understanding), are more bass heavy. Headphones. The D600 will give you more of 'warehouse' rave sound. Each kick will reverberate and chords will have weighty depth to them. I personally enjoy it for electronic, but overall it would be better to have more balanced headphone like the Shure.

I used to own a pair of SRH-840 and the D600 are better, though the 840 is still more balanced even with its fairly large mid bass bump. I've demoed the 940 and it is an improvement overall.

bass heavy u mean like the beats?i've tried beats once with a techno song and the bass was soo enhanced that it was ruining the whole track.
soo u think in terms of sound quality the srh-940 its better than the other 2 right?
what do u mean about the D600's chords?

May 16, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #4 of 19
I'm not too familiar with the Beats line. But yes, this headphone has more emphasis on the bass end. I bought them for that reason. By chords, I mean harmonic sets of notes. So if you are not able to audition these, I'd say go for the SRH940. I've spent a bit of time with it and it would be a good headphone that is more balanced sounding than the D600.

May 16, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #5 of 19
The 940 has a massive hole in the bass region. It's not really a complete headphone. The D600 are fantastic, I own the D7100 and they sound really close. The D600 is bassy but it's actually clean and detailed due to the thinner mids. Treble is sparkly with nice energy. I'd ditch the 940 because of the cracking issue, replace it with the A900x, it does what the Shure does but with a full low end.

Tough one but I'd go D600.

May 17, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #6 of 19
listening to them right now watching a movie, their sound signature helps them 'distance' the sound, the sound is more laid back, like you are listening to speakers with a nice subwoofer in the room.

For a PC headphone I'd say they are vey good. If you don't need closed you may consider the HD598 or HD558. they won't have the bass the D600 has but would be great for electronic music. Used to own a HD555 and it a good headphone. It's tough, you need to spend time with the gear and listen to a wide range of music to get a feel for them.

Btw what kind of electronic music do you listen to? Pretty familiar with the genre. I could check out some pieces and describe the overall character of sound.

May 17, 2014 at 6:52 AM Post #7 of 19
listening to them right now watching a movie, their sound signature helps them 'distance' the sound, the sound is more laid back, like you are listening to speakers with a nice subwoofer in the room.

For a PC headphone I'd say they are vey good. If you don't need closed you may consider the HD598 or HD558. they won't have the bass the D600 has but would be great for electronic music. Used to own a HD555 and it a good headphone. It's tough, you need to spend time with the gear and listen to a wide range of music to get a feel for them.

Btw what kind of electronic music do you listen to? Pretty familiar with the genre. I could check out some pieces and describe the overall character of sound.

i listen to minimal techno mostly .
i used to own the HD515 but i want something with better sound quality than the sennheiser HD5XX series.
as i said price range is around 300$.
what about the AT ath-m50x, don't they have a good sound quality ??
as for the srh-940 do u guys really think that they have a big lack at bass?? i though they are more like flat headphones....

this is what i like to listen to: (i like it when the sound is crisp and clear)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUOHC7wip2U

May 17, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #8 of 19
Even if they didn't have bass issues, the build quality is horrendous and no one should even consider buying then due to the cracking,
The 940 have excellent vocals like most Shure phones but they just are not musical. 

May 17, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #9 of 19
The 940 has a massive hole in the bass region. It's not really a complete headphone. The D600 are fantastic, I own the D7100 and they sound really close. The D600 is bassy but it's actually clean and detailed due to the thinner mids. Treble is sparkly with nice energy. I'd ditch the 940 because of the cracking issue, replace it with the A900x, it does what the Shure does but with a full low end.

Tough one but I'd go D600.

im on the same boat with shure 940... im thinking about getting one but keeps going back and forth to find its substitute tha can do as well as shure 940...

in your opinion do you think audio technica a900x provides similar / better level of details and emphasizes on female vocals like shure does....?

May 17, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #10 of 19
  Even if they didn't have bass issues, the build quality is horrendous and no one should even consider buying then due to the cracking,
The 940 have excellent vocals like most Shure phones but they just are not musical. 

are u sure about that?? im mean they look soo sturdy. what about the m50x, arent they good??
as i said i used to own the sennheiser HD-515 and im looking for something better in terms of sound quality.

May 17, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #11 of 19
are u sure about that?? im mean they look soo sturdy. what about the m50x, arent they good??
as i said i used to own the sennheiser HD-515 and im looking for something better in terms of sound quality.

It's a well known fact. The M50 are sturdy but they don't sound good. Look into the A900x or DT770.

May 17, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #12 of 19
im on the same boat with shure 940... im thinking about getting one but keeps going back and forth to find its substitute tha can do as well as shure 940...

in your opinion do you think audio technica a900x provides similar / better level of details and emphasizes on female vocals like shure does....?

-The A900x are fantastic, no one does vocals like audio technica! The A900x does everything the shure does but is more complete.

May 17, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #13 of 19
the DT770 needs an amp in order to work, besides i would like something with ear-shaped cups.
the A900x look a litlle bit ugly and again the cups are not ear-shaped which means they wont be very comfy.

May 17, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #14 of 19
i listen to minimal techno mostly .
i used to own the HD515 but i want something with better sound quality than the sennheiser HD5XX series.
as i said price range is around 300$.

this is what i like to listen to: (i like it when the sound is crisp and clear)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUOHC7wip2U

Cool, I checked that out. No problems with D600 and minimal techno like that. I'm listening to a mix by The Advent right now Electric Deluxe Podcast 040 and I can try to describe the sound. Percussion is an area where the D600 really does well. Snares are not piercing. Hats are crisp without being shrill. You can turn up the volume and not get fatigued. As for bass kicks, your traditional Roland TR-909 type kicks are round, and hit low. The 'warehouse' comment I made before is still on point. Rather than a very analytical precision bass sound that one might get off a pair of Mackie studio monitors, this is more of rolling thunderous bass. Tight enough, but brings some low end wobble and rumble that many phones lack.

I've had headphones with more punch, like the Sennheiser HD-25 but it had less low end extension and sub bass impact. A very nice headphone the Sony MDR-1r I owned for a while is a really good performer, and I only let it go as I felt my Ex600 edged it out and, importantly handled bass extension and bass quality better. The D600 has quality bass, extends lowand plenty of thumping quantity. The high-end is great. It's not the best for vocals, but for minimal techno, that's not where it's at. It's a guilty head nodding, eye-wincing pleasure.

For around $200USD if you can the D600 you'll be set.

May 17, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #15 of 19
-The A900x are fantastic, no one does vocals like audio technica! The A900x does everything the shure does but is more complete.

for western musics, i listen to songs like these... (more the first song than the second song)

slow club - because we're dead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac6mXE7UT4E

frightened rabbit - poke http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwP_186BdYM

do you think, these kinds of songs fit with Audio technica a900x strong points...?

btw, i can't find a900x where i live, i can find ad900x though. how different is one with the other?

cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back