AT A700 vs. Alessandro MS-1 vs. Koss A/250 vs. Koss A/130
Jan 22, 2013 at 10:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

guttorm

100+ Head-Fier
ms-1=a/250>a/130>a700. I just recently reacquired some ms-1s after having owned them for about a week before they were stolen and man they are so good imo. Treble detail? YEESSSS. These are all good headphones... surprised I'm not liking the a700s in comparison to the rest right now. Switching between the A/130 and A/250s here though, these are both such good headphones. Koss knew how to do it and they did it.

Jan 22, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #2 of 9
YES the A250 are great cans... BRIGHT in the upper mids/treble.   fast-snappy bass that extends very deep.  synnergize very well with warm/open sounding amp+source.

they are VERY bright though, most here would probably consider it a flaw.  But for some types of music it works great.  a lot of ambient smooth jazz is just too bass-bloated for me so thats what i use these for.  I amp them with an earmax OTL amp.  I'd love to hear them on a Mad ear+.

MS1 is also great for the $$.

Jan 22, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #5 of 9
Yeah I took some time (few years actually) off HF.  Never stopped listening to headphones BTW.  Here's a shocker... You know what brought me back?... I got a Bose AE2 (second generation triport) as a 10 year anniversary gift from my employer, and to my surprise these aren't nearly as bad as I remembered the original triport.... have headphones really advanced this much since I've been gone?  I gotta get back to Judes place and see whats up.  Unfortunately no headphones really haven't advanced THAT much, in that there are still a lot of BAAAD sounding cans out there.... LOL!!!

But its good to be back and thanks for the warm welcome.

Jan 22, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
bright? i dunno...

Yeah I definitely think so.  I think theres some upper midrange resonance + coloration, as well as frequency boost going on (IMHO), so it might not all be a frequency-based kind of brightness.   I find them brighter-edgier in the upper midrange than my RS1 and K701, two HF favorites not commonly thought of as "warm" or bass heavy.

Jan 22, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #7 of 9
If you are digging those Old Koss you should check out the DJ100/TBSE.  There is a big thread calling them the budget kings.  At $50 I can's believe more people aren't talking about them.  They are Fantastic, The have the speed of A Grado, Nice tight little punchy bass, And the mids, Fantastic, I've yet to hear anything under $200 that are this sweet. The highs do roll off a little.  What gets me is the imaging.  These things are just fantastic on the imaging dept!!!   I think most people are looking for that Dre Bass thump that sounds like mud.

Us older dudes aren't into that mess anymore
wink_face.gif

Seriously check them out if you have a Tuesday Morning next to you.  $50....
http://www.tuesdaymorning.com/tony-bennett-signature-edition-stereophones/1255982.jsp

Brushed Aluminum cups, Leather headband, Detachable cable....  $50, c'mon....  That's the price of taking your Girlfriend/Wife out for dinner and you still might not get Lucky
tongue_smile.gif

At least you'll have something to show for it with the Koss's in hand!!!

Jan 22, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #8 of 9
I have the Koss A/250 also. Zombie_X helped me get a pair from the Koss Outlet store last year.

Honestly I don't like them much since I find them to be a bit thin sounding and mine has too much treble. They seem colder than any Grado or the DT-880.

I'd probably love them with a warm tube amp or something. I don't have any very warm amps right now to try them with.

I don't think i'll ever find a closed headphone I like more than the DJ100. I like that stupid headphone so much that i've owned like 7 pairs. Ugh...

I do wish Koss would make an open headphone that sounds very similar and is extremely comfortable. It can be done actually.

The imaging of the DJ100 is up there with the K601, Sextett and a few others.

I'm trying to find headphones that sound exactly like the DJ100, but no such luck.

Jan 22, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
I have the Koss A/250 also. Zombie_X helped me get a pair from the Koss Outlet store last year.

Honestly I don't like them much since I find them to be a bit thin sounding and mine has too much treble. They seem colder than any Grado or the DT-880.

I'd probably love them with a warm tube amp or something. I don't have any very warm amps right now to try them with.

I don't think i'll ever find a closed headphone I like more than the DJ100. I like that stupid headphone so much that i've owned like 7 pairs. Ugh...

I do wish Koss would make an open headphone that sounds very similar and is extremely comfortable. It can be done actually.

The imaging of the DJ100 is up there with the K601, Sextett and a few others.

I'm trying to find headphones that sound exactly like the DJ100, but no such luck.

Yeah, after I read your big review I went out and my son bought one from BB.   About 2 days later I got one for myself.   I paired it up with My M-Stage LT1364  and it's a match in heaven.  Just a fantastic little can.  It does well without an amp but paired up nicely it just really shines...  Got the M50 pads on the way
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back