Asylum Power Cable
Dec 16, 2001 at 5:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

lextek

Headphoneus Supremus
Anybody have any experience with this cable or company?

www.diycable.com

Bob
rolleyes.gif

Dec 16, 2001 at 5:44 PM Post #2 of 14
They use a lot of designs from people from Audio Asylum, such as Bob Crump and Jon Risch. Their products are most like very good and I hear they are good to deal with. I wouldn't regret getting the Asylum cable, so go for it!

Dec 16, 2001 at 5:46 PM Post #3 of 14
I've heard good things about their ICs.

As for the power cables, I'm skeptical that the power cable makes that much of a difference. I could see this being the case if you are running from a source that is super-conditioned, but considering how dirty the standard city-power is a fancy-cable is nothing more than window dressing. The money would be better spent on a conditioner using a $3 cord.

I've also heard that this company is pretty reputable.

Dec 16, 2001 at 8:02 PM Post #4 of 14
I was skeptical about power cables until I started hearing the differences. At that point, I had a choice...deny my own perceptions or throw out the skepticism and try to find one that sounded best to me within the prices I was willing to pay, regardless of what I though should have happened. If theory says A must be true, but my perception tells me that B must be true, it's time to find a new theory.

Dec 17, 2001 at 4:08 AM Post #5 of 14
Just have to say, power cords make as at least as much differnce as IC's... Moving from a DIY military grade cable with Hubble plugs to the Tekline pc12 with the Wattagate 330 plug made a dramatic difference in the MG Head, opening up the sound quite a bit. It was a suprise at how much the Head had changed. But of course it should also be said that good power conditioning is also essential as well.

Dec 17, 2001 at 4:42 AM Post #6 of 14
Not to hijack the thread but I could understand an insane cable if the power were conditioned. Otherwise something of decent quality should do just fine. Whats the point in spending that money on a cable to carry a bad source?

$1500 interconnects from an 8-bit Sound Blaster playing 96kbps Xing-encoded MP3s isn't going to help the sound at all. Granted it will keep it from getting worse at least (ir thats possible).

Now if you spent $3000 on a power conditioner, by all means, use a $500 power cable, it would probably be a good investment. Otherwise I can just about guarantee you will get a lot more improvement for that $500 if you spent $497 on power conditioning and $3 on the cable rather than the other way around.

All I'm saying is consider the source.

Dec 17, 2001 at 11:57 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Now if you spent $3000 on a power conditioner, by all means, use a $500 power cable, it would probably be a good investment. Otherwise I can just about guarantee you will get a lot more improvement for that $500 if you spent $497 on power conditioning and $3 on the cable rather than the other way around.

I believe that the better your source the less you will need good power cables. Most of them are designed to help counter act the bad affects of dirty mains. If you you have for example filtered balanced power, then it might be harder to tell the difference between power cables.
Maybe those with good power can comment?

Dec 17, 2001 at 2:24 PM Post #9 of 14
But the cables can't fix a bad signal no matter how good they are. (unless there are electronics embedded inside)

lextek, how about a review once you get the asylum cable? I'm curious about testing cheap vs. quality power cords against filtered vs. unfiltered power. I'm sure this would prove most useful for us non-believers.

Dec 17, 2001 at 3:02 PM Post #10 of 14
Unfortunately for our pocketbooks, AC1 & Hirsch are correct, AC cords do make a noticeble difference even without any type of power filtering. I am not speaking hypothetically, but from the school of been there done that, I have tried many cables in my own system. IMO all cables effect sound noticeably including:
- digital IC
- regular IC
- AC cords
- speaker cables
It is useless to throw around scientific specs, rationale, theories,
blind test etc......you must try in your own system, that is the bottom line. If you hear no difference be happy with your radio shack cables.

No need to spend mega bucks, you can get excellent AC cords
for $350 or less, ie BMI Eel, Acoustic Zen Tsunami, Analysis Plus
power oval and many more, try to find used. I have found a fantastic AC cord for $50 called Absolute power cord, currently backordered advertised at Audiogon site from GTT Audio.

Dec 17, 2001 at 5:16 PM Post #11 of 14
$50 seems reasonable enough to try-out.I'll do some testing with my Corda after it arrives and gets burned-in. Perhaps they will be available by then.

I still remain quite the skeptic on this issue. But there is *NO WAY* I'm going to spend as much on a power cord as I did on the amp.

Dec 17, 2001 at 7:08 PM Post #12 of 14
Nezer
You are perfectly correct, cost of AC cords must be porportional to components being connected. I myself am using $50 Absolute AC cord with my Corda amp, as well as more expensive items. The guy from GTT gets them custom made in far east in lots of 2,500,
this will be his 3rd batch as 1st two completely sold out from word of mouth from Audiogon members.

Should have some @1st of the year, or so I have been told.
I see you are a fan of the wacky MST 2000 (mystery science theater)

Dec 17, 2001 at 8:01 PM Post #13 of 14
DarkAngel, please post some more details on the $50 cord
smily_headphones1.gif
I've been wanting to swap cords on my Max, but can't afford some of these other options right now...

Dec 17, 2001 at 9:08 PM Post #14 of 14
http://www.gttgroup.com/avframe.htm

Mac
Click on "product lines" heading and you will see listing for Absolute cord. Don't be fooled by appearance, this is an excellent AC cord. Look at the other product lines carried, this is very high end stuff! Bill the owner designed these himself.

As I said Absolutes are currently backordered, awaiting new shipment from far east, should arrive after 1st of year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back