Asus Xonar U7 DAC/AMP Impressions Thread
Nov 3, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #631 of 734
Hey guys,

So I recently picked up a U7 and have really liked it, but I'm having a problem.  When Dolby Home Theater v4 is active, I get intermittent popping/crackling while playing music.  Goes away completely when I turn DHTv4 off.  Any ideas how I can fix it?

FWIW my computer is a beast (i7-5820k) so I'm certain it's not a resource issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

**EDIT**  I updated to the Win8 WHQL drivers as recommended in previous posts and so far the problem has gone away.  Hoping that's it!

Most possible it is driver problem. What about movies? And why do you use DHTv4 for music? Try another driver.

Dec 13, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #635 of 734
I'm very interested in buying Xonar U7 but can someone here confirm that this card doesn't make noises like hum/hiss/buzz/etc? I recently returned Phoebus Solo because "white noise" on headphone output drove me crazy... I think it was caused by interference from PSU or GPU. I'm not sure so I'm looking for a decent external sound card and U7 seems pretty good.
I'm using CAL! and HyperX Cloud. Should be ok ?

Dec 13, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #636 of 734
I'm very interested in buying Xonar U7 but can someone here confirm that this card doesn't make noises like hum/hiss/buzz/etc? I recently returned Phoebus Solo because "white noise" on headphone output drove me crazy... I think it was caused by interference from PSU or GPU. I'm not sure so I'm looking for a decent external sound card and U7 seems pretty good.

Don't have problem like that. It should work fine if it is not broken or you have interference from some device.

Dec 14, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #637 of 734

No, as some people said earlier this card's background is pitch black. I'm sometimes pumping it to max volume when no music is playing and I have absolutely zero hiss, bot in headphones and speakers. I put my U7 above the PC.
I'm surprised that you have buzzing Phoebus Solo I think it was more expensive than U7, and I will check its specs If it has EMI shielding.

Dec 15, 2016 at 5:16 AM Post #638 of 734
Dec 28, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #639 of 734
Apologies if this has been covered before ... how effective is the U7 as a USB-SPDIF bridge?

Dec 28, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #640 of 734
Hello! 

Sort of new U7 user here. 
I was thinking about the volumes in software & hardware, and how they affect sound quality. So I went to google, and from what I found you should have the volume max digitally, eg. the audio-playback program you're using and also windows, and then control the soundvolume through the amp directly, analogally. 

Now with the U7 when I adjust the wheel on the box it adjusts the Windows volume, so I was wondering if I'm getting worse audioquality than I possibly could? Right now I have Spotify at max, and use the wheel to adjust to about 12% in windows because that's what I find comfortable. (And I know Spotify isn't the best audioquality but it's my favorite audio-playback app.)

I'm not dissapointed with the audio with my M50's, but if I'm missing out on crisper audio I want in on that. 

I'm a total audio noob so if all this is mumbojumbo talk please set me straight. And also I'm getting a pair of Fidelio X2's so I want my ears to be pleased to the maximum.

Dec 30, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #641 of 734
Welcome @Ante Pan
redface.gif

The Xonar U7 only has a digital volume control linked to your Operating System. So realistically, you wont be able to leave the volume on 100% all the time, because it could get too loud for your headphones/earphones/speakers and damage them.

There are exceptions to this, for example you have audio gear that is very difficult to drive and doesn't get very loud with the U7 at 100% to begin with, or you are plugging in powered speakers with their own volume nob (in which case you should set the volume of Windows to 100% and control the volume through the speakers themselves), or you are using an external amplifier with your U7 like I do, then you should max out the volume in the Operating System then control the volume directly from the external amplifier.

To get the best sound quality, the idea is that you try to max out the original source signal in the chain from your DAC before it reaches your headphones/earphones/speakers without getting too loud, and you control or restrict the volume through other means like an external amplifier (if you use one). Powered speakers generally have their own built in amplifier, which is why they tend to have a volume nob too.

Setting the volume at 100% is not always correct though, because besides potentially being too loud (without an external amplifier to restrict the volume), if you use a relatively weak DAC/Amp like the U7 with some very hard to drive headphones, the phenomenon known as "clipping" could occur. When clipping occurs, it is generally pretty obvious to make out as it sounds like distorted, noisy peaks in the louder parts of your music. In this case, you have to lower the volume within your Operating System until the clipping no longer occurs and increase volume though other means like an external amplifier to compensate.

This is more of a tip, but in the U7's Audio Device properties, there should be an Amplifier Gain setting. For best results, make sure you leave it at +0.0 dB because there's really no point in lowering the power of the U7 unless your headphones or earphones are extremely easy to drive and you get some channel imbalance because you are forced to leave the volume % very low or else they get too loud.

Hope this helped! 
wink.gif

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #643 of 734
Fellow U7 user checking in! My first one stopped working, but fortunately the store I bought it from handled the replacement for me (two months before the warranty expired). Using it with an M50X and it sounds mostly great, but definitely needs the right EQ for what you're listening to.

Jan 6, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #644 of 734
I have a problem with the software.
I use Windows 10 x64 and 8.0.11.19 WHQL driver(2014/01/22).
I installed the driver using Device Manager. The problem is that it did not install ASIO. Could anybody please explain me how to get WHQL driver with ASIO on Windows 10 x64?

Jan 7, 2017 at 2:00 AM Post #645 of 734
  I have a problem with the software.
I use Windows 10 x64 and 8.0.11.19 WHQL driver(2014/01/22).
I installed the driver using Device Manager. The problem is that it did not install ASIO. Could anybody please explain me how to get WHQL driver with ASIO on Windows 10 x64?

I don't know but normally it installs asio as well! When you right click to your Sonic Studio icon could it let you click on the option "Open Asio"? And just to be sure, you know you need to install some components to eg. "asio support" for foobar2000 to get benefit from asio, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back