Asus Xonar U7 DAC/AMP Impressions Thread
Sep 20, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #616 of 734
I just bought a U7 from Amazon.co.uk and I had the blinking LED problem. I originally had Windows 10 on my laptop but it never did run right so when I read people all having trouble I thought sod it, I shall put Windows 7 64bit back on and all should be well. I installed Windows 7 and the U7 came to life. I started performing the updates and at some point it started blinking again. Then it came back to life after a few more updates. Then is started blinking again. I do not know what the problem is but I tried enough to know Asus should have addressed this issue better or indicated what the problem is. I even contacted them and got a generic response that maybe I needed to unseat the device and reseat it. Its a USB device and they were giving me advice for an internal card! Then they said it sounds like maybe a faulty card and that Amazon take care of warranty. 

After 3 days of really trying to get it to work I decided that its just not worth the effort. I have sent it back because I feel that even if I got it working again, any day it could just stop working. It is a really strange problem. 

Can anyone point me at some threads indicating what usb DAC I should get instead? My budget was about the U7 mark really. I am a bit gutted because the U7 looked perfect and the times I did get it working, the sound was very clear. 

Thanks

Trev

Well an update on this it appears I had a faulty u7 after all. Replaced for another one and now works perfectly. 

Oct 8, 2016 at 7:47 AM Post #617 of 734
Okay so now my ENITRE COMPUTER IS BROKEN. Thanks Asus!

I reinstalled Windows 10 and all my programs. Everythings works fine. I wait until last to install Xonar u7 Audio Center and drivers. Now, my computer freezes and locks up. No audio through speakers, LOUD DISTORTED ROBOT AUDIO through headphones, and the computer constantly crashes so you have to hold the button to turn it off.

This is just insane. I will never buy Asus again. I will make sure no friends ever do too.

Oct 8, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #618 of 734
  So after 16months of annoying and troubled use with this thing, today my Xonar started ******* my PC up. Firstly my PC wouldn't boot past the mobo logo, so I disconnected usb devices one by one by power of deduction. Once unplugging the Xonar it boots into windows fine (???). And now once I'm in Windows and I plug it back in it detects absolutely nothing, just the speaker LED starts flashing. I've had it to wits end with this products and it boggles my mind that there is no alternate solution to buy, just a nice little DAC with amperage and a good microphone input.

Can anyone recommend me another product that won't break the bank?

This is exactly what happened to me. ******* asus suck.

Oct 8, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #619 of 734
Okay so I restore System image - computer now works. I install latest Win10 drivers (as I cannot install Win7 or 8 because not supported). 

I have no microphone input and no headphone output. Completely useless. I don't use speaker out but I bet that's probably broken too. I get zero register sound from microphone and Headphones sound like distorted robot. I wish I was rich I would sue Asus for wasting so much of my life.

Oct 19, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #620 of 734
So after 1 1/2 years I'm getting the blinking LED issue. So I plugged the U7 into a USB wall charger, left it for a few hours and voila! It works again on my computer. Not sure why, maybe the U7 isn't getting enough power from the USB ports? 

Anyways, I had question: Is it possible to use SPDIF out for headphones? I have the u7 connected to my pc through USB, I also used the toslink cable to connect from my PC to the U7 as well. I am not getting any audio when I try using SPDIF out. My previous Turtle Beach DSS2 (yes I know) had no issues with this lol. Is it even possible? I use the HD598 and ATH-M50x. 

Oct 20, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #621 of 734
Kindly reminder and saver of the day: As for majority of people now use W10. Please download and install (x86 or x64 based on your W10) Windows 8 (8.0.11.19 last WHQL) for Xonar U7 or Echelon does not matter. May have to use compatibility mode for setup executable.

Thanks to the user HAWX for the specific information that he told us some time ago. And no, W8.1 drivers will not work on W10. And yes, W8 and W8.1 drivers are completely same build.

Oct 22, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #622 of 734
  Kindly reminder and saver of the day: As for majority of people now use W10. Please download and install (x86 or x64 based on your W10) Windows 8 (8.0.11.19 last WHQL) for Xonar U7 or Echelon does not matter. May have to use compatibility mode for setup executable.

Thanks to the user HAWX for the specific information that he told us some time ago. And no, W8.1 drivers will not work on W10. And yes, W8 and W8.1 drivers are completely same build.

Wow thanks! This fixed my problem!

Oct 23, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #623 of 734
I'm glad that it did!

And additional to that, if you use Win8 or Win8.1, again install those WHQL drivers accordingly. Do not use any other version as they are all broken in terms of sound quality.

You must have already been aware of that, as we wrote a lot in previous pages. It only takes a few mins to search and read.

Oct 25, 2016 at 1:59 AM Post #624 of 734
Wow!

I'm surprised I mentioned to install the wrong Windows 8 drivers to people earlier by accident. My mistake, shoutout to Xtreme for his clarification. 
wink.gif

So yes, what I meant was please install the regular Windows 8 drivers instead of the Windows 8.1 one, since the other clearly WILL NOT install.

I have been using the Windows 8 64-bit drivers all along, which is why I never had any issues, and neither should any of you if you switch to it. 
tongue.gif

Basically, DO NOT use anything other than the WHQL drivers dated 2014/01/22, or else you will suffer weird bugs and a slightly distorted frequency response... at least until Asus releases a decent Windows 10 driver... which will probably be never anyways. 
angry_face.gif

Oct 26, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #627 of 734
No driver needed for Android? Just plug and play?

Installed USB Audio player PRO... Still don't know can it be manage in android options. Maybe in android developer options.
Don't need anything else, this app and play. Warning: I use S7 USB adapter. At app developer page say that may require a powered USB hub.

Nov 2, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #630 of 734
Hey guys,

So I recently picked up a U7 and have really liked it, but I'm having a problem.  When Dolby Home Theater v4 is active, I get intermittent popping/crackling while playing music.  Goes away completely when I turn DHTv4 off.  Any ideas how I can fix it?

FWIW my computer is a beast (i7-5820k) so I'm certain it's not a resource issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

**EDIT**  I updated to the Win8 WHQL drivers as recommended in previous posts and so far the problem has gone away.  Hoping that's it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back