ASUS Xonar Essence STX II
Jul 5, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #811 of 888
The original, Muses 8820, 8920.
Out of curiosity, what were you connecting the card to and through what connection. I've had the Muses 8820\8920 in my Auzentech connecting to my pre\pre and amplifier. The difference between those and the Burson V6 Vivids was like the difference between talcum powder and untouched Peruvian flake.

Jul 6, 2020 at 2:37 AM Post #812 of 888
Out of curiosity, what were you connecting the card to and through what connection. I've had the Muses 8820\8920 in my Auzentech connecting to my pre\pre and amplifier. The difference between those and the Burson V6 Vivids was like the difference between talcum powder and untouched Peruvian flake.
My STXII is in a Audio PC, so 7pcs linear low noise power supply, clock generators on the main boards, etc...
I use the RCA output of the STXII (I think it is the best option), so the signal goes to my power amp (NAD M25), front speakers Elac 249.3.
The Burson color the sound, and will be not so natural the sound, and you lose the huge soundstage, lose the details, etc.

Jul 6, 2020 at 3:58 AM Post #813 of 888
The Burson Vivid V6 (more so then the Classic) do color the sound. On my Auzentech, running R\C\L , RS, RL and sub woofer. I noticed no loss of soundstage. I was running 3.5mm to dual RCA, into my Emotiva XMC-1 and dual Sunfire Cinema 5-200W for bi-amping all channels. I haven't got the Stix II rear channels working but the front 4 sound (RCA's) better then the Auzentech. I could be responding to the over whelming warmth rather them the missed details. I play local hi-res 5.1 flac, wav, DSF and DFF out a matched set of Paradigm Studio V2, 40, 20, center and the 15 subwoofer.

Jul 6, 2020 at 3:58 AM Post #814 of 888
I have tested the dual V6 Burson opamp’s (Classic, Vivid) but sold these because the original was better.
I haven’t got any noise problem with opamp’s.

break-in time?
My v5i (at least two of them) sounds great after 150 - 200 hour. At first I was not satisfied.

Jul 6, 2020 at 4:25 AM Post #815 of 888
I think every sound system is different.
I always invite my wife to test of the new devices, cables, opamps, etc. to avoid the subjective opinion/feeling (if it was expensive --> has to be good :relaxed:).
We had a same opinion in case of Burson (Classic and Vivid). The Vivid was a little bit better than Classic, but boths are worst then original opamps.

Jul 6, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #816 of 888
The great thing about opamp swapping is that it's a relatively cost effective way to revamp a huge slice of the audible experience. I've been playing with them since 2005 with my first Auzentech. I just ordered a set of Sparkos duals for my Topping DX7 Pro to run balanced DSD to my XMC-1. I've got 5 different sets of opamps and i plan to sit and giggle in my listening chair.

Jul 16, 2020 at 4:02 AM Post #817 of 888
I'm considering getting 3 X Burson V6 Vivids for the front channels of my Essence STX II. I'm also using 2 of the rear channels and LFE on the daughter board. Can I take the 8820/8920 I remove from the fronts and put them in my surrounds and LFE? Would that improve the sound of my two surround channels compared to the stock opamps? My rears are also large full range speakers (Martin Logan Summits).

Sep 7, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #818 of 888
Hi. I saw Asus issued driver for STXII end of 2019. Anyone try it and compare with Uni xonar driver?
I started having "screeching" problem with my STX II all of a sudden so I started researching ways to solve it. I came across new "official" drivers from ASUS and decided to try them out. I put "official" in quotes because they're still not signed - you still need to put your system into driver test signing mode to install them which is absolutely ridiculous. Running setup.exe from the root folder resulted into system restart. Running setup.exe from Win10 folder did not do anything until I rebooted system into test signing mode.

So the way to install them is to run setup.exe from Win10 folder with your system in driver test signing mode. So far they're working, I hope the "screeching" issue does not come back.

P.S. I am ****ing pissed at Asus. This is a $200 premium sound card and they can't even digitally sign the drivers? Really? What asus? Why do I need to put my system into test signing mode to install them? And that's on top of BIOS incompatibility issues where certain BIOS versions on certain AMD motherboards would cause system not to boot at all. Like seriously? Asus motherboard not working with Asus soundcard. I guess they feel we should be grateful for finally giving us official driver at the end of 2019.

Sep 8, 2020 at 12:23 AM Post #819 of 888
I started having "screeching" problem with my STX II all of a sudden so I started researching ways to solve it. I came across new "official" drivers from ASUS and decided to try them out. I put "official" in quotes because they're still not signed - you still need to put your system into driver test signing mode to install them which is absolutely ridiculous. Running setup.exe from the root folder resulted into system restart. Running setup.exe from Win10 folder did not do anything until I rebooted system into test signing mode.

So the way to install them is to run setup.exe from Win10 folder with your system in driver test signing mode. So far they're working, I hope the "screeching" issue does not come back.

P.S. I am ****ing pissed at Asus. This is a $200 premium sound card and they can't even digitally sign the drivers? Really? What asus? Why do I need to put my system into test signing mode to install them? And that's on top of BIOS incompatibility issues where certain BIOS versions on certain AMD motherboards would cause system not to boot at all. Like seriously? Asus motherboard not working with Asus soundcard. I guess they feel we should be grateful for finally giving us official driver at the end of 2019.

That's odd I did not have that issue. I was able to install the drivers with no issue. I'm using Windows 10 Professional... are you using Home ediition? Home edition is crap and I would stay away from it. There are sites where you can download Win 10 Pro license keys for reasonable prices. It's legit too. Anyway. Sorry you had such problems. Peace.

Sep 8, 2020 at 2:43 AM Post #820 of 888
I started having "screeching" problem with my STX II all of a sudden so I started researching ways to solve it. ...

Hi, What does the screeching problem do? Does it start suddenly during listening?
I had it, my problem was in incopatible op-amps. And I also change power supply for a more powerfull, for sure.

Sep 8, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #822 of 888
That's odd I did not have that issue. I was able to install the drivers with no issue. I'm using Windows 10 Professional... are you using Home ediition? Home edition is crap and I would stay away from it. There are sites where you can download Win 10 Pro license keys for reasonable prices. It's legit too. Anyway. Sorry you had such problems. Peace.

Yes that's odd. Varmintbaby is right, I don't think you need to put system in test mode to install any of the official Asus drivers. I wouldn't bother with them though, UNi Xonar is the way to go.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #823 of 888

See if this is your issue http://maxedtech.com/xonar-cards-and-loud-white-noise-issue/

Sep 9, 2020 at 1:20 AM Post #824 of 888

I ran into these problems under Microsoft® Windows® 6.1.7601 and pulled my STX from the CM1630 prior to the dist-upgrade to Win 10. Even the C-Media® drivers included in the MaxedTech® UNi™ XONAR® Software -- which I more often than not had to install in Safe Mode with Network Support in Win 6.1 -- are no guarantee this won't happen in the future with a DSP originally designed for Windows 5.n and its simpler audio stack. OtOH, the STX is happier than a hog in slop under ubuntu® 18.04.4-LTS (LinUX Kernel Series 5.4) with the latest version of Advanced LinUX Sound Architecture Project snd-virtuoso. No problems at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back