ASUS Xonar Essence STX II
Feb 17, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #271 of 888
 I am I play lossless with foobar2000 and iTunes. No difference at all. ASIO is set to 24bit/80ms. I first thought it's most likely a DAC/OpAmp issue. But I can hear it even when playing the Xonar U7 and I am really losing my mind with thisssssss hissssssssssss 
triportsad.gif

It could be your power supply or motherboard. Low quality components of either one can create some nasty electrical feedback. I'd start with looking at the power supply.

Feb 18, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #274 of 888

I'm currently using the STX II with the HD700, and it works like magic. After experiencing with a few choice "upgrades" for my  HD650, including I settled on the HD700. It really sounds heads and shoulders above all the other headphones I've tried. I've heard that the STX II is on par with the Schiit Magni/Modi combo in terms of sound quality, and have been very satisfied with the sound quality, and especially the ease of "hot swapping" my speakers to headphones. I'm almost hesitant to upgrade to an external amp/DAC because it will not be as easy, won't have the 3D imaging from the STX software, and cost extraoridinarily high for the upgrade. The WA7 massdrop deal looks incredibly tempting, but it's $1120 for the WA7 and the WA7TP.

You're making me want to get the STX II. I have the HD700 as well. The soundcard I currently have is the Creative Titanium HD, but the fact that it doesn't have an actual dedicated Headphone Amp I think is hurting it. The portable FiiO E17 sounds much better and is what I'm currently using. I'm wondering if this would be even better.

Feb 19, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #275 of 888
Hello,
i plan to build an HTPC audiophile but i need SPDIF output to feed my DAC.
This card seems to be great.

But if i use its SPDIF output, i bypass all the card, so i do lost benefit of TCXO clock & EMI shield? 
Do you recommand this card for only this usage?

Thanks
Fabien

Feb 19, 2015 at 6:04 AM Post #276 of 888
  Hello,
i plan to build an HTPC audiophile but i need SPDIF output to feed my DAC.
This card seems to be great.

But if i use its SPDIF output, i bypass all the card, so i do lost benefit of TCXO clock & EMI shield? 
Do you recommand this card for only this usage?

Thanks
Fabien

Check to see if your motherboard has an S/PDIF header. If so you could use one of these and save a fortune.
Your DAC will run the clock.

Feb 21, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #279 of 888

Agreed, not sure of the issues of why. I got mine a few months before they released them in North America. I really like the card. I have changed op amps in it though. The Muses opamps were just too laid back for me and not critical enough of the recording. Am currently running two LME49720 in the IV and a LM4562 in the buffer  and I like the sound. Is the same op amp setup the Asus STU uses out of the box and to me is more critical of the source material than the Muses which make all recordings sound the same. I just want to hear what the musicians wanted to sound like and if I have a bad recording :{)

Feb 23, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #280 of 888
Been using this card with Hifiman HE-560 for two weeks now.  I can vouch for it and say it sounds better than my $500 DacMagic Plus (using the headphone out).  The DacMagic Plus headphone out did not provide enough power for the HE-560.  I'm quite suprised it has enough to power the HE-560.

I did previously own the original STX for a year.  I think the STXII is an upgrade, but not by much.  If you own the STX, i wouldn't rush to upgrade unless you want the 7.1 analogue setup.  The original STX has a headphone out SNR rating of 110dB (Manual says 110, but website says 117), while the STXII is rated at 120dB.  Also, for ADC the STXII uses a better chip CS5381 (120db SNR) vs CS CS5361 (114dB SNR).

I think $250 (STX II w/o daughter card) is a little steep for a soundcard, but then again my DacMagic Plus was $500USD..

Overall, I'd recommend this board if you are looking for "audiophile" grade soundcard.

Feb 24, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #281 of 888
  For a 2.1 setup use 2 channels for audio and 5.1 for analog out. The whole goal is for the same stereo sound, just with the subwoofer added. 

Hi,

I'm also using the STX II and I just ordered the H6 addon card for 2.1 subwoofer support.
What Xonar unified drivers should i install? Normal, Low DPC latency, C-Media Audio Panel?

Br,
Toby

Feb 24, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #282 of 888
Low DPC is what I used. If you want the equalizer and other DSP's use normal. If you are going to use it in HIFI mode then use Low DPC. The main thing is to disable stereo up mix. 

Feb 24, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #283 of 888
Have Purchased stx ii after owning stx 1 for about 2 years running through Htpc With Jriver and foobar,Arcam A32 Amp and PMC speakers with Silver plated Connectors.When i first conncted stx ii up i was not pleased the sound coming out was harsh but at the same time back ground music was muffled ?.So out come the chips and put the second set in Still the same.Now peed off was expecting so much from this card.Took the old amp's out the stx 1 put them in the stx ii ,Great sound and with the better clock tighter music.They should have kept the old op amps.How can they release a high price product like this without comparing it with the old one..

Feb 25, 2015 at 2:03 AM Post #284 of 888
  Low DPC is what I used. If you want the equalizer and other DSP's use normal. If you are going to use it in HIFI mode then use Low DPC. The main thing is to disable stereo up mix. 

Hi BT,

thanks for your reply.
Ok I will have to try that low DPC setup. Question:
The subwoofer I'm getting is a REL T5 model, it has the following inputs:
LFE, Low level and High Level. http://www.avland.co.uk/aasp/rel/1020/t5/rearlrg.jpg
What would be the recommended usage combined with STX ii? Obviously I can't use the High level input. Should I use LFE or Low level?
I'll be playing music more than gaming, when gaming I probably use headphones.

Feb 25, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #285 of 888
The truth is you probably want the normal setup as you will be using the crossover built into the software. The main thing with low DPC vs. normal is that the normal one has the Xonar control center running all the time and that uses more computer resources and adds the smallest of delays. When I had my sub with the H6 I used normal. When I got my new sub with a built in crossover I did not need the H6 and then used Low DPC. Also since you will be using speakers and headphones you will need the control center to switch back and forth so again use normal. 

As for connecting the sub, make sure the crossover is set to the maximum as you want the Xonar handling the crossover. As for which input to use, I would say it probably does not matter. I looked at your model and REL is kind of advertising it has having dual inputs and dual volume so with one you can use it for music and one can be used with home theater. In the manual it says to use LFE when you are receiving signal from a processor which is the Xonar so use that. You can always try both and see if there is a difference. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back