ASUS Xonar Essence STX II
Jan 29, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #256 of 888
  Hey fellas! I've got a few of questions for you. I have read the entire thread and couldn't answer those myself in terms of my case.
To help you out a bit, let me give you some initial info about the situation I am currently placed in.
I have the ASUS Xonar U7 to which I have connect my Sennheiser PC350 headset and the Logitech Z-5500 speakers via optical.
Recently I have ordered Sennheiser HD700 and I would like to experience them in the best possible way, without losing the out "hot swap" with.my speakers.
I am leaning towards STX II over the old card, because of the feedback given here.
Unfortunately, here is the place where I also read about the STX's jitter issue, which is non-existent in the ST series.
As per my sound image preferences I'd say I like present, punchy bass with distinctive, clear mids with somewhat neutral to slightly bright highs.
Something that would make mixed gender vocals sound life-like without losing any detail in the bass guitar's chords or the barely noticeable xylophone presence in Vivaldi's Winter I. Alegro non molto, performed by Yehundi Menuhin.
My genre preference is so vast, that I'd better say I like melodic tunes with significant musical harmony.
Using my modded PC350 and playing with the EQ I got closer to my desired sound image, but I felt something is till missing.
I thought it maybe is the bigger soundstage of the open cans, which everyone is talking about.
I was also firstly thrilled by the HD800's, but I read I will have to invest much more in terms of gear and sources for those, as well as them being quite the non-forgiving cans.
Some of the music I like isn't available in lossless formats, so I thought the HD800's wouldn't be the greatest choice, thus the purchase of the more forgiving, yet still awesome HD700's.
So here are my questions:

TL/DR:
I own Sennheiser PC350 and Logitech Z-5500, and just purchased HD700's.

1, Do I really need to upgrade my external U7 ?
2. If yes, what should my choice be Essense ST or STX II?
2a. Will I be able to have the DTS/DDL signal output emitted through the SPDIF to my Z-5500?
2b. Can I "hot swap" the playback device same as on my U7 (with a single button click in the ASUS Xear Software)?
2c. Could you explain the STX (possibly STX II) jitter issue, as to an intelligent person with not much of an experience in the area?
3. If no, is just the U7 enough or should consider an AMP?

Thanks a lot in advance for your time and effort in answering those for me, I promise your opinion will be valued and remembered!

Best regards,
Yatsu

I'm currently using the STX II with the HD700, and it works like magic. After experiencing with a few choice "upgrades" for my  HD650, including I settled on the HD700. It really sounds heads and shoulders above all the other headphones I've tried. I've heard that the STX II is on par with the Schiit Magni/Modi combo in terms of sound quality, and have been very satisfied with the sound quality, and especially the ease of "hot swapping" my speakers to headphones. I'm almost hesitant to upgrade to an external amp/DAC because it will not be as easy, won't have the 3D imaging from the STX software, and cost extraoridinarily high for the upgrade. The WA7 massdrop deal looks incredibly tempting, but it's $1120 for the WA7 and the WA7TP.

Jan 29, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #257 of 888
Thank you very much for your reply!
I have already bought the STX II and I agree with you it drives the headphones surprisingly well... However, there is some nasty HISSSSS when any sound is playing and this is freaking me out. Could you please confirm or reject this?
I have tried all gain modes, with which the hiss scales respectively.
Also I can't output DDL to my speakers, while Skype is active on the headphones. When I try to switch from PCM (my speakers are playing and the HD700 is also on as well) to DDL, then I lose the sound on my speakers and the headphones are rendering all the sounds.
Also the STX II is messing up the 98/24 sample rate output to the speakers and it is not playing at all.
I don't know, if this is common behaviour or just my STX II is f-ed up and makes any lossless audio sound like a re-recorded stuff on an old tape (the hiss noise). It hisses for a couple of seconds and fading to silence, even when I click on the Windows Audio Volume leveller *** ;( 

Looking forward to your replying,
Yatsu

Jan 30, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #258 of 888

Hi Yats,
I have been running  the STX II for several months now. There is absolutely no hiss with my card. I would try the card in another computer. If you still get the 'hiss' send it back for replacement.You also might try a diff player ( not sure of what you are using) and use WASAPI or ASIO.
Good Luck

Jan 30, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #259 of 888
I am I play lossless with foobar2000 and iTunes. No difference at all. ASIO is set to 24bit/80ms. I first thought it's most likely a DAC/OpAmp issue. But I can hear it even when playing the Xonar U7 and I am really losing my mind with thisssssss hissssssssssss 
triportsad.gif

Feb 1, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #262 of 888
Feb 3, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #264 of 888
  I am I play lossless with foobar2000 and iTunes. No difference at all. ASIO is set to 24bit/80ms. I first thought it's most likely a DAC/OpAmp issue. But I can hear it even when playing the Xonar U7 and I am really losing my mind with thisssssss hissssssssssss 
triportsad.gif

Ground loop isolator. Get one

Feb 12, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #267 of 888
Just wondering if upgrade will benefit me.

Current setup
Audiotrak prodigy 7.1 LT
Aego M 2.1
Ath M50s
Dt880 600ohm
Alpha Dogs
Aune T1 mk1
Ifi ican nano
Fiio X1

Mp3, lossless, Spotify

Only thing not quite satisfied is Dt880 not maxed out with current amping options I hv.
Budget wise max up to stx II price.

Thoughts? Appreciate all feedbacks.
Stx or stx II?
I am a pc gamer too

Feb 12, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #268 of 888
essence stx ii need replace the capacitor and remove V/I feedback capacitor.
I've tried almost all of the OPA & capacitor.

WAV > foobar2000 (ASIO 16bit,80ms) > Asus Essence STX  II (4x OPA128+ OPA2107ap) > RCA to 3.5mm(DIY Cable) > SE846(blue)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-AARvEYS1zSA/VNoC3S-tzdI/AAAAAAAABH0/6z9ItFLVZhY/s1600/DSC_0024.JPG
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-SiOITZzHAAI/VLPdlp9O-lI/AAAAAAAABEs/1Qk8DpdcxUA/s1600/DSC_0091%5B1%5D.JPG
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-5F22MYS0RD0/VLkYG7V5ILI/AAAAAAAABFE/_fvMSNU5eMk/s1600/DSC_0100.JPG
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-9vuNitBa5_g/VLxqSOoivkI/AAAAAAAABG8/PRuS0VtinEs/s1600/11.JPG
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-CHJjDrGrkmo/VLxqR0M1LmI/AAAAAAAABG4/ms284HO6_XI/s1600/22.JPG

opa DC power supply filter capacitor replace Mouser Part #:   594-2222-150-60471
Analogy coupling Digi-Key Part Number    604-1068-ND

how can i published pictures!! What!!

Feb 15, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #269 of 888
If I am not mistaken the Asus Xonar STX II uses the same PCM1792 that the stunning HRT Microsteamer uses. Brilliant start. Sound quality is down to more than just the DAC though. However the STX II comes with good op-amp, and interchangeable ones for musical preference.

Feb 15, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #270 of 888
  If I am not mistaken the Asus Xonar STX II uses the same PCM1792 that the stunning HRT Microsteamer uses. Brilliant start. Sound quality is down to more than just the DAC though. However the STX II comes with good op-amp, and interchangeable ones for musical preference.

Indeed, ASUSTeK has interchangeable dual op amps at the I-V for all XONAR® Essence™ products.  Standard I-V for the Burr-Brown®/Texas Instruments® PCM1792 is the Japan Radio Corporation JRC2114D, except the One Muses Edition and STX II use the MUSES 8821; our fellow Head-Fi'ers have been running a variety of Texas Instruments®, Analog Devices®, and competitive dual op amps (at least one uses the oldie-but-goodie Signetics® NE5534N) as upgrades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back