ASUS Xonar Essence STX II
Aug 21, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #106 of 888
Hey guys, can someone tell me if they fixed this annoying buzzing for input while gpu is under load?
I have this issue with my STX one and there are a lot of talk on the boards about this issue, so it isn't a malfunction.
If this has been discussed before - sorry, i tried but couldn't find it.

Aug 22, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #109 of 888
For unknown reasons, my post was deleted.. Can i not post links to another threads from this forum? A pm would be nice.

To summarize what i was saying..

I built pretty much everything anew except for PSU which may seem a good indicator for you being right about where the problem lies but before buying another one I'd rather rule everything else out.

I tried to stress my PSU by putting stress onto my CPU with Prime95 and the mic - in was crystal clear. I tried switching lines since my PSU is semi - modular but it didn't help.

Other people reported that shielding the open part of the Audio Card didn't help and suggested using a Ground Loop Isolator instead.

So far I didn't find any indication for whether it was helpful or not, but it seems unlikely since the signal "originates" at the microphone and not in the PC, so filtering it before the Audio Card is kinda pointless.

I'd rather try using a Ferrite bead on the Molex cable which goes into the Audio Card, but in my opinion the chances of it helping me are also very grim.

Does anyone have any ideas how to make sure the problem lies with the PSU without actually exchanging it? ^^

Thanks in advance!

edit:

some people apparently tried replacing the PSU and it didnt help..
"..took my PC to the local PC shop, they tried a new PSU and GPU...same issue.."

Sep 4, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #110 of 888
I recently added a Sound Blaster Z to my system and the static from mic recordings is terrible when compared to the X-Fi Platinum it replaced. It's so bad that Crystal voice noise cancellation needs to be enabled for any voip and then audio quality just drops off a cliff!

I tried a Asus Xonar DS in the same system and although it produced slightly less gain with the same microphone the background hiss and clarity was the best out of the three cards tested and no helicopter/buzz interference. I cannot vouch for the ZxR but the Z or Zx are not great for mic use at all!

My PSU is a Corsair AX850 which I believe is a re branded Seasonic. GPU is a Asus DirectCU II GTX670.  

I am also concerned if I change the Sound Blaster Z to the STX II I might just end up with another microphone issue. 

Sep 4, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #111 of 888
If you are having mic issues with internal cards then you best get an external mic pre amp or ADC of some sort, or even get a USB mic. These sounds cards should not be that bad with mics for say gaming. If you need studio quality stuff then do not even bother with the sound cards. They spend the money on the DAC not the ADC.  Your power supply is good so either your mic sucks or the card is malfunctioning. Try an STX first, the STX II is not worth the double price tag. Or again get something separate for your mic and keep your card for playback only. 

Sep 5, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #112 of 888
Thank you for your help on this. I was actually considering a Focusrite Scarlett Solo or something similar alongside a desktop condenser microphone. I already have an O2+ODAC so with this combination the sound cards only purpose would be as a DSP for Dolby headphone / SBX Surround.

To be fair the Sound Blaster Z microphone input is acceptable for games but when compared to other cards its one of the worst in its class.

Someone else is having the exact same issue here http://www.head-fi.org/t/725685/eliminating-modmic-1-0-microphone-hiss-on-soundblaster-z

STX II would be a better fit for me due to the low gain option for IEM'S but other than that I agree that the STX is much better value.

Sep 6, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #113 of 888
Thanks for the details, @BigTerminator.  From my experience with the STX™, @manningr83, the mic/line input is clean enough with -10dBV stereo and does need care for adequate shielding with most computer mics.  I got decent results with, of all things, a Sony® SingStar® cardioid line-powered condenser mic (+3.6VDC on the Signal Out) on a Creative Laboratories® SB0350 PCI 2.0 audio card (said mic requires a Radio Shack® #274-0348 to attach to the Mic/Line In on the STX™).

Unfortunately, it appears that Auzentech, Inc., is no longer in business, making the X-Meridian™ 2G, X-Fi® Bravura™, and X-Fi® Home Theater HD™ non-options, so balanced-monaural mics (such as the Shure® SM48-LC, SM58-LC, SM7-LC, or similar) will require professional gear such as the Creative Laboratories® EM8803 or EM8962 or compatible PCI 2.0 audio cards.  A +48VDC condenser mic will force an external phantom power supply or offboard mixing console.

Sep 9, 2014 at 3:28 AM Post #114 of 888
Hey guys, can someone tell me if they fixed this annoying buzzing for input while gpu is under load?
I have this issue with my STX one and there are a lot of talk on the boards about this issue, so it isn't a malfunction.
If this has been discussed before - sorry, i tried but couldn't find it.

Hey i just thought of this and i guess it could help. Since both you gpu and stx are using the limited 16 pcie lanes, when you push the gpu hard, i guess the problem can come from sharing of pcie lanes. You can try using better platform such as 2011 x99 or x79 to chk for that.

Sep 9, 2014 at 3:49 AM Post #115 of 888
Hey i just thought of this and i guess it could help. Since both you gpu and stx are using the limited 16 pcie lanes, when you push the gpu hard, i guess the problem can come from sharing of pcie lanes. You can try using better platform such as 2011 x99 or x79 to chk for that.

I highly doubt it's a data bandwidth issue, otherwise the music would cut out. Even if the GPU and sound card were sharing 16x and cut to 8x each, it would hardly effect GPU performance and certainly not hurt audio quality. I've had my sound card sharing lanes with GPU before so speak from personal experience. Buzzing I think would be more caused by the current the GPU is drawing, because some GPUs are getting closer to 300w nowadays when under full power. Poor circuitry, rippling or ineffecient power supply, motherboard with poor power regulation, or even the sound card being too close to the GPU backboard while those 250 or so watts pulsing through it imo are more likely contributing causes.

Sep 9, 2014 at 6:07 AM Post #116 of 888
Guys, if sharing IRQ is doing you problem try putting the card in MSI mode, it means it will be as part of a memory and not a part of virtual IRQ which is not real priority.

It was posted on guru3d forum.

Do you want more information ?  search a file named MSI_util.exe , it let you mark the devices you want to change to MSI mode and uncheck for windows Virtual IRQ. 

If you go to Device Manager > View by Type > Scroll down until you see (PCI)   -  - - Take notice on the  (number)  ( - number )

any number that is higher than IRQ 15 means it is virtual.
any number with a - mark means it is in MSI mode and does not share IRQ
any device in MSI mode would have low ISR or not at all. ( Latency Mon )
any device in MSI mode should perform better and have less impact of cpu usage

My Creative ZXR works in MSI mode, Realtek sound cards I don't think that work.

Usually if you have NVIDIA card will not be in MSI mode, should highly prefer you put it on MSI mode and every drive update you will need to check and apply again.

MSI_Util usage

Make sure to have Registry Backup , System Restore for easy management.

If some device doesn't like MSI mode and you get BSOD, you should load Last Known Configuration and don't select this item again, just move on to others.

Sep 9, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #117 of 888
Had the original STX a few years ago, I'm looking to get something aimed towards gaming and virtual surround. Been looking the Q701 + Astro mixamp however I'm going to need a separate amp to give it some more juice. Which then pushes the price up towards the STX II... So I guess it pairs fairly well with the Q701/K701?

Sep 10, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #118 of 888
  I know this is Head-Fi.org .... meaning that most people here are using headsets (albeit very good ones) with their computer rigs.  I'm reading a lot of bad post concerning the Muses op-amps in the new Asus STX II .  Well, I find the Muses very favorable - but here's the rub.... I listen on a more traditional rig (Klipsch Cornwalls and a Heresy for center, SVS and Wharfedale subs, and Def Tech rears - Adcom and Yamaha power amps connected directly to my ST/H6 combo with Muses op-amps).  The Muses sound great with free space speakers (at least with this combo).  They really open up the sound - many people say that larger Klipsch can't pull off the disappearing act that a mini monitor can...well mine can and I credit a good deal of it with the sonic character of the Muses.  These op-amps compliment the Klipsch just right. I'm using the Muses 02 and the lesser 8920's.  I believe that we should approach listening as a system rather than just a collection of parts.  Say if someone prefers say the OPA2132P (which is a great op-amp) but it doesn't mate right with the rest of the system....- it's not the op-amps problem, its just not right for that setup. 

My son and I had an extended listening session with the ST using the Muses and it was nothing short of spectacular. Wide, open and deep soundstage! Excellent pinpoint imaging, and the bass was tight and extended. Headphones are a different animal  (I have Grado SR225's that I use at work) and I believe that we should take these different things into consideration before we execute a product.  Mind you, this is all subjective - but at the end of the day...isn't listening a personal thing anyway? 

I'm excited about the STX II (as I will need one the next time I upgrade my motherboard ..if there isn't anything better at that time). 

Sep 12, 2014 at 6:32 AM Post #119 of 888
Hi all,

I've been milling around audio forums trying to find a suitable sound card for my PC.  I was hoping some enterprising bunch had built a DSD card, but the closest I've got so far is, well, here...

I notice that the Essence ST & STX use a DSD capable chip.  Can the DSD functions be enabled?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back