ASUS Xonar Essence STX II
Jul 26, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #91 of 888
Jul 27, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #92 of 888
Wow, that sounds really interesting! I used to own both the ST and the Essence One, any idea if these are already available for ordering online? I'd love to check out the Muses sound!

Aug 11, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #93 of 888
hey guys do you think it's better buy the second version or I could save some money taking the version one?
I would use it only for 2.1 + headphones so I don't think I'll need of H6 module.

What do you think?

Aug 11, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #94 of 888
hey guys do you think it's better buy the second version or I could save some money taking the version one?
I would use it only for 2.1 + headphones so I don't think I'll need of H6 module.

What do you think?

I use both cards, if you are not someone who seeks for the last few percent in audio fidelity, you should just go with version one. With that said, version two isnt that much better than version one.

Aug 11, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #95 of 888
I use both cards, if you are not someone who seeks for the last few percent in audio fidelity, you should just go with version one. With that said, version two isnt that much better than version one.

With that said, I think I'll take the version one (100 euros for a used one I think it's a good price)

Aug 13, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #96 of 888

What do you think?

You can see my audio setup in my signature. I would recommend getting the Essence ST. The original STX cannot take the H6 and apparently clocks bad. If you are doing true 2.1 then you need the H6 to act as a crossover UNLESS if you have a subwoofer with line level inputs/outputs or some form of bass management. Also make sure you get a low ripple power supply. Just upgraded my power supply and sound was a little better, not much but a little. And get some 49720 op amps and call it a day. 

Aug 13, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #97 of 888
  ...I would recommend getting the Essence ST. The original STX cannot take the H6 and apparently clocks bad. If you are doing true 2.1 then you need the H6 to act as a crossover UNLESS if you have a subwoofer with line level inputs/outputs or some form of bass management. Also make sure you get a low ripple power supply. Just upgraded my power supply and sound was a little better, not much but a little. And get some 49720 op amps and call it a day. 

On my Asus® CM1630-06, the original XONAR® ST™ is not an option; it would cut off cooling air for the EAH6850 DirectCU® - design limitation of the stock M5A78LT-M/CSM mobo, which has the legacy PCI 2.2 slots below the PCIe x16 (now populated by the EAH6850DC) below the PCIe x1 (populated by the XONAR® STX™).  Perhaps the time is right to see how the new STX™ II does w/r/t the original ST™.

Installing the EAH6850DC, I pulled the CM1630's stock 350W LiteOn® in favor of a 750W Antec® TruePower® New™ to remedy a specvio concerning the SATA drives (viz., provide a source of +3.3VDC to the hard and optical drives that was lacking on the stocker), as well as provide power for the video and audio cards; the 750 has not presented any issues, sonically or otherwise.

Aug 14, 2014 at 5:37 AM Post #98 of 888
Typically the power supply change something only if you pass from the worst Chinese PS to a good antec or seasonic...:)

Aug 16, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #103 of 888
Why should I go with the STX? I want 7.1 capability with the add-on card and I can't seem to get that with the STX.

Also, I had checked Amazon before but I only see it being sold by some place called "Cellular Shack" for over $400...

Aug 16, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #104 of 888
  Why should I go with the STX? I want 7.1 capability with the add-on card and I can't seem to get that with the STX.

Also, I had checked Amazon before but I only see it being sold by some place called "Cellular Shack" for over $400...

Oh I thought that you are just using the card for its stereo output. If you need 7.1, just go with the stx 2.
Currently STX 2 is not sold in the US yet, from what I know. In Singapore where i live, the stx 2 7.1 is sold at around 333usd. So yeah, you can either pull the trigger, or wait a few more months for its availability.

Aug 16, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #105 of 888
Get an essence ST if you want 7.1. The STX 2 is worth maybe an extra $30-50 over the ST, not almost double. Either wait for the STX 2 to come to America or buy a used Essence ST for around $130. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back